Thread: 2T replacement: 3T or 4A-GE or WHY ... in Tassie

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 2T replacement: 3T or 4A-GE or WHY ... in Tassie

So I've just taken delivery of my 74 TA22 with a stock 2T (manual transmission) and I'm told there are a few options I have as suitable upgrades eg: 2T-G/T, 3T and 4A-GE.
    Are there any others that are interchangeable with the 2T? I suppose there are some engines which need way too much modification and with that in mind the "easy swap" could be the way to go.
    Any suggestions or offers would be appreciated.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia stidnam's Avatar

Default Re: 2T replacement: 3T or 4A-GE or WHY ... in Tassie

How handy are you? Is an engine swap within your capabilities? If not then either a 2tg upgrade (can be done on you existing block with the right parts) or a 3t if you can find one. Easiest engine swap is likely to be a 4age. A 3sge beams will be nice and there are mounting kits on eBay. No idea how the fitment is though. Engine swaps aren't cheap

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 2T replacement: 3T or 4A-GE or WHY ... in Tassie

Some kid on Gumtree has offered a 3T with weber and extractors.There's also a 4A-GE RWD with T50 on offer $1100, but he won't separate the box. Any idea of what I should be paying for these engines? Seller's market is it?
    I swapped a few 18R's in my old Hilux in the 90's so I suppose I could give it another try now. Although I had the old man to help me back then, but he's gone to Valhalla now.
    How would I upgrade a 2T? It was suggested a decent set of headers/extractors with a 2inch exhaust and later look into a carby and/or cam upgrade.
    What's involved in a 2TG upgrade? I have a HEAP of spares that with the car - spare 2T and gear box, 2 x extra heads, etc, etc.