Thread: Soul by toyota body by ford...

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Soul by toyota body by ford...

Hi people. New to the forum, going to throw a couple ideas out there and get some feedback.
    So, i have been building modified stuff a long time, few hotrods , a chopped bigblocked 50s ford, fat fender buick, valiant, even a hyundai excell with a 3.5 front drive v6 package stuffed into it. ( race car )
    Its now time to build the wife a car. I have recently repowered my 04 rodeo hi rider 2wd with a 1uz and a hybrid part toyota part isuzu aisin trans, worked out really well and i just love 1uz motors now !.. i have decided the wife's car , 1951 ford sedan should be toyota powered rather than the chev/glide i have sat in it. Hot rodders are gunna scream but i like toyota stuff. Basicly i have gutted a basketcase 51, the floor and chassis was horrendously rusted so i have clean sheeted it from inner sills inward and front to back and initially sat it on a slightly modified lux ( 84 ) chassis. . At this stage its mocked up and one thing is apparent..with the body channelled 50mm over the hilux frame and a 3 inch choptop planned its going to be tight for head room. I want it low but with good suspension travel hence the 50mm channelled body, plan was to keep floor tight on the lux rails to make the most of the limited room..but i was at a local scrapyard and lo and behold i spied a mid 80s crown ( possibly cressida??) on its lid and what do i see?? a full , perimeter chassis, a nice generous kick up over diff, and a floorpan that looks pretty much made to meet a ford sill. Im sure you get where i'm going here..i would like to fit the entire chassis, floorpan, front suspension, rear end and maybe firewall and brake pedal/booster into whats left of the ford body. I would also like to go with a 1uz and a340 auto. Unfortunately the car i looked at got squashed the same day i saw it..im a bit unsure if it was crown or cressida..any help on that would be good.
    I am blessed with a full workshop,hoists, fabrication tools, welders, folders, bead rollers and all manor of equipment. As i'm not particularly well versed with 80s toyota sedan stuff i need a bit of help here. The car i saw was upside down and jammed between cars and i really couldnt I D it well other than it was very mid 80s toyota sedan and kinda square at the front. I know its toyota by the diff ( solid axle hiluxish with coils and discs) and the overdrive aisin and general layout was familiar from my gearbox rebuilder days.. any tips on if it was crown or cressida..am i correct in thinking they were both full chassis cars in that era?? Pursuant to the 4.0 v8, its probably dumb question but mid 80s crowns / cressida , are they wide enough in front suspension upper arm area /rail to swallow a 1uz? A surprisingly wide motor, the one i put into my rodeo was ex soarer, it fitted but its tight..12 mm to steering shaft same to booster and battery tray. It looks factory and goes like hell. The wiring was hectic to make it all talk to isuzu relays, tcu etc.
    Back to my idea on this proposed amalgam of toyota/ford.. im open to your input here folks. I have discounted using a 51 ford chassis as they are, well, just crap.The front ends are horrid, brakes worse, no power steering.. been there done that. The toyota platform makes way more sense and i could potentially use the seating etc , the perimeter layout will help with head clearance and leg room and using the floor saves a lot of fabrication. I remember people building crown chasissied ac cobra clones years ago so i know there is an engineering precedent on this to help me negotiate with my engineer. Im over yank v8s. I want this build to drive well, have some economy, be user friendly and be different. If anyone has a crown (or cressida if thats what it was ) that i could get some measurements from that would be awesome. I realise this toyoford idea is a bit left of center and ford purists will gag but its my build and i just don't want another chev/auto/9" car. After turning spanners for 3+ decades i have come to really respect toyota products. Over to you guys..be kind to the newbie!!

Default Re: Soul by toyota body by ford...

Love it mate, should be an awesome ride when done. You can pick up the 1uz with autos really cheap off gumtree, you will be out for a few more bucks if you go manual (more enjoyable in my opinion though)

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Crown and Cressida are more or less the same lineage, just name change over time. Take a look at the Wikipedia page it has some good photots that might help identify.
    1uz was a factory option from 1987 onwards and I think quite a few earlier models have been converted.

I’ve got some envy of your fabrication skills.

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: Soul by toyota body by ford...

Toyota Crown UZS131 with Ford panels

Last edited by madmont; 03-10-2017 at 07:37 AM.
    Jealousy is a curse

Thanks..food for thought and looks to have been well done and well thought through. I am wanting to keep the original rooof and classic chop line.

Quote Originally Posted by masterofsinanju View Post
    Crown and Cressida are more or less the same lineage, just name change over time. Take a look at the Wikipedia page it has some good photots that might help identify.
    1uz was a factory option from 1987 onwards and I think quite a few earlier models have been converted.

I’ve got some envy of your fabrication skills.
    If I am not mistaken, cressida is a unibody construction but the crown is body on frame.

Thanks. If anyone has a deceased crown that they are wrecking or are willing to do a few measurements on for me it would be helpful. Not sure at what stage the crown went to IRS . Keen to get some feedback on this build relevant to best model crown..a late one with the 1 uz would make sense providing it's still a full chassis car. I considered doing something on a unibody platform however that requires some difficult torsional testing that I'm not convinced is suitable as the ford body was never designed to be part of the structural strength. I'd also need to avoid anything with airbags as that is nigh on impossible to get past an engineer. I guess this leaves a couple choices, early chassis and fit a v8,or a pre airbag later v8 car with full chassis. I'm leaning towards the latter. Can anyone give me a heads up on what model if any ticks those boxes? I appreciate the feedback given so far ����.

RZN169R+2JZGTEVVTI+R151 Domestic Engineer madmont's Avatar

Uzs131?....................
    Jealousy is a curse

Thanks I will google that now. What I have in fabrication skills I lack in technology skills. Old school. Analog man digital world.

That looks the goods and ticks the boxes although I am unsure re airbag.
    If it is pre airbag I think it's the donor Toyota of choice. It will come down to finding a suitable candidate. Iwont be cutting up good cars so something hail damaged or deemed written off body wise that isn't going back on road would be perfect. I will put the feelers out.

Good choice will be 110(1979) to 140 (1994) series. The 150 series and onwards was unibody.