Thread: 1990 GT4 Head Gasket?

Forum Member

Default 1990 GT4 Head Gasket?

Hi All,

Im Andrew, first time poster long time owner. I have recently bought a 1990 GT4. I bought it assuming it has a BHG or Cracked block / head. So the symptoms are a little unusual. Its not using any water, not over heating and no oil in the water. Plugs are clean. However its running very ordinary, on and of three cylinders by the sound of it (sounds like a wrx). Finally got the nads up to run it for a decent amount of time and after about 20 minutes it started bellowing white smoke, took a lot longer then I expected. So questions are,

- Is it worth a bottle of head gasket repair liquid, never know might get lucky.
    -When the coil wire is pulled of its turns over really nicley, not like its down on compression, dont understand why its running so poor?
    -No fault codes shown when I run diagnostic on it. Do crook injectors show up on this.
    -Anyone know a Mechanic in Cairns who has experience with GT4s. Otherwise I will do the works myself.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Default Re: 1990 GT4 Head Gasket?

White smoke is a sign of coolant, if the motor checks out fine (compression test and coolant pressure test.) i would be checking the turbo as it also has coolant flowing through it.

but given the white smoke starts after 20min i wouldnt rule out a cracked block or head as it may only leak when warm..

have you had it on boost? does this push coolant into the over flow bottle or white smoke worse?

Welcome anyway.
    1990 ST185 Running stock Gen 3 power, 216awhp at 15psi. 13.6 second down the quarter

Forum Member

Default Re: 1990 GT4 Head Gasket?

Hi and Thanks,

I have not driven it very hard or far so I have not really put much load on it. Over flow bottle has the same amount of coolant at beginning and end of 20min run. Will find out soon have almost got the head off it now.