Thread: AR5 or R154, which box?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default AR5 or R154, which box?

Hi all,
    I am looking at doing a 1JZGTE conversion into my crown. I will be slightly modding the motor for more power, but want a manual box behind it. I know these come with a R154 but have seen these AR5 boxes that have been adapted to suit. These are about half the price of the R154. Are these strong enough?

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: AR5 or R154, which box?

You've probably already done the basic internet search so you know the answer is yes. The AR5 is in theory well able to deal with a lightly warmed over 1JZGTE.

Other reading is that you need to be careful to get the right model AR5 to avoid shifter height issues (coming out of mostly large US based "trucks" colorado's etc). Input shaft is longer than R154 etc so you'd need to modify that and the tail shaft. Otherwise sounds very doable.

I expect you need to factor in whether or not you can do the fabbing to modify the AR5 or if the R154 is really the cheaper option even though the box is more expensive.

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...o-transmission
    http://my.is/forums/f114/comprehensi...thread-566154/

There are some lexus forums also asking the same question, but in this thread there are some actual measurements/dimensions.

Something to consider is that there are not a lot of indications that anyone from my brief reading has actually completed the conversion. The skills and patience needed to be the first to do a conversion is pretty rare, so you might be breaking new ground.

So you need to document your work carefully for my benefit.
    Last edited by masterofsinanju; 31-07-2017 at 07:38 PM. Reason: added link info