Thread: Advice wanted please

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Advice wanted please

Hi gurus,
    I'm after some advice please. I have a RS46 crown (short nose 4cyl) with a 18rg. Can someone help me choose an engine replacement. I'm thinking maybe turbo 2 litre. Preferably something that doesn't require a million more mods to get it to fit. I'm using a 5 speed (I think it's a W50). I'd prefer a Toyota engine.

Thanks in advance,
    Cameron.
    Last edited by Camker; 19-07-2017 at 06:21 PM.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Advice wanted please

These older engine bays are pretty easy to fit 'anything'.

The main challenge is are you staying with carburation or will you go EFI ?

Going turbo with carburation is 'fun'.

Personally, if I was doing this conversion, I would pick a modern engine like something from a Yaris.

Then get all the custom bits made.

The coolest mod that you could ever do is transplant a Prius Engine, but I'm not sure about space.

A 2.0T 3SGTE engine out of say a Caldina would give you a lot of power, but perhaps not a very nice car.

Cheers.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Advice wanted please

Camker

Beams 3SGE.

I think the 3SGTE from a Caldina would be very difficult going from 4WD to RWD config. Beams 3SGE with J160/W5x is RWD config. J160 and W5x boxes are pretty similar in layout and fit, so almost a bolt up with some possible changes to shift lever position and maybe moving the gearbox x-member.

I'm not sure how similar the RS46 engine x-member is but you can buy engine transplant kits from ebay for 3sge into ta23/ra23/ra28. You should talk to the seller about the RS46. You'll probably need to redo clutch and brake lines, plus brake upgrades if you plan to change legally.

If you go anything "new" you will need to change from FWD to RWD. This means custom engine mounts, custom gearbox, custom bellhousing, possibly custom brake booster/master, clutch master.

If you go with a Prius engine, you would lose all of the regenerative braking gear etc. More modern cars are so integrated with computers that you will spend years and tens of thousands getting it to run if you can get it to run.

Dirty Nissan SR20DET is a good easy RWD engine too.

OR, rather than engine transplant with all it's attendant headaches, take a look at some of the builds on here that have turbo 18rg power. Lots of custom fab needed but if you've already got the 18rg in, you wont need to worry about changing engine config.