Thread: Altezza RS200 Kaaz 2-way LSD into F-series diff

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Altezza RS200 Kaaz 2-way LSD into F-series diff

Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I posted anything but have been reading a lot in the meantime.
    I'm currently finishing an engine swap in my AE86 and one last thing to do is to fit a Kaaz 2-way LSD from a Toyota Altezza RS200 to my Toyota Crown MS112 F-series live rear axle.

From what I've read this LSD should be more or less a straight fit only people had to:
    - Swap over the crown wheel.
    - Use the more narrow side bearings from the altezza. Can anyone confirm this?

Adjustment (of backlash and pre-load?) can be done with the side bearing adjustment nuts.

If required does anyone know the correct part numbers for the more narrow Altezza side bearings?
    Also does someone know the part number for the Toyota Crown MS112 bearings?

The bearing part numbers can either be from Toyota or (preferably) from an aftermarket brand like NSK or SKF.

Reason for asking is I live in the Netherlands and the correct bearings might be hard to find so I want to make life as easy as possible for the shop that will assemble everything. Otherwise they will charge me an arm and a leg.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
    Last edited by Bozu; 21-06-2017 at 06:43 AM.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Default Re: Altezza RS200 Kaaz 2-way LSD into F-series diff

I did exactly this (though it was a Tomei centre) but it was about 10 years ago, so am a little hazy on the details. In short everything works. I used MS112 everything including ring and pinion and fitted the Altezza LSD centre. Bearings for the diff centre may have been different (can't remember if that was with the Altezza or MA61 centre) but it just needed an ID to match the centre, OD to match the housing and normal width.

So if you can, check the ID, OD and width of the Altezza and MS112 centre bearings. If they differ anywhere you need to find a suitable bearing that has Altezza ID and MS112 OD, width should be the same.

Good luck
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Bozu, get yourself a toyodiy account. The altezza and ms112 are both in the database. You can compare to other parts from different models that might work for you also.

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

I checked Toyodiy. They list different centre bearings for MS112 and Altezza. Interestingly both shared bearings with heaps of other models from the 80s and up to mid 2000s. However there is no info on bearing dimensions, just part numbers.

Bearing suppliers (CBC, RBC, etc in Australia) should likely be able to cross reference bearings for you and find a suitable type. From memory they had all diff bearings listed for the cars I've needed them for.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Thanks guys for your input thusfar.

I also checked toyodiy and jp-parts.com and found the part numbers from what I believe are the correct crown and altezzA bearings. Contacted the local toyota dealer and seems like they can still supply them albeit for €88,- each...

Indeed hen unfortunately no info on dimensions otherwise I might be able to source an aftermarket option for a more attractive price.

Perhaps I can contact CBC or RBC...

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I did this with mx23 gears and altezza stock lsd, they didnt need the narrow bearing. I think if you use ring and pinion from the live rear end it will fit nicely.

Forum Member

I was wondering if you guys could confirm the part number of a KAAZ LSD for a F series live axle. Is that SAT2090? Thanks for your help guys! Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nuts Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Bozu View Post
    Hi guys,

It's been a long time since I posted anything but have been reading a lot in the meantime.
    I'm currently finishing an engine swap in my AE86 and one last thing to do is to fit a Kaaz 2-way LSD from a Toyota Altezza RS200 to my Toyota Crown MS112 F-series live rear axle.

From what I've read this LSD should be more or less a straight fit only people had to:
    - Swap over the crown wheel.
    - Use the more narrow side bearings from the altezza. Can anyone confirm this?

Adjustment (of backlash and pre-load?) can be done with the side bearing adjustment nuts.

If required does anyone know the correct part numbers for the more narrow Altezza side bearings?
    Also does someone know the part number for the Toyota Crown MS112 bearings?

The bearing part numbers can either be from Toyota or (preferably) from an aftermarket brand like NSK or SKF.

Reason for asking is I live in the Netherlands and the correct bearings might be hard to find so I want to make life as easy as possible for the shop that will assemble everything. Otherwise they will charge me an arm and a leg.

Your help is greatly appreciated!

Cheers.
    I have done this . altezza kaaz into live axle so you may have read my post in the f diff thread. it was a direct swap for me using the side bearings from tezza and ring gear from the matched gearset and live axle head. cant remember ratio but i think 4.1:1?
    ive since done a tezza torsen into live axle and found the lsd carrier had to be offset so far to meet the ring gear backlash requirements that it was borderline not going to have enough threads on the side locking rings to retain the side bearing on one side. it has yet to fall apart tho the ra28 its in doesnt get driven alot.
    so.. there is some sort of difference in ring gear-to-carrier offset for the f series. ive yet to hear what it is. im guessing it's do do with ratios and the associated ring and pinion thicknesses?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    -Mark
    E2 + E7 fan
    '71 KE26 5k, '75 KE25 SR 4agte, '78 KP60 bug 4k-u, '83 KE70 SR Coupe 3tgte, '84 KE74, '84 YN57, '84 AE85.6, '86 AE82 FXGT 20v, '91 ST185, '92 SW20

Allright thanks for the answers so far guys. I'll see how it goes

hi, does/would the altezza 7 1/2" torsen centre fit into a 7 1/2" surf front ADD diff??

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I cant see why not, i fitted a hilux/surf front air locker into a mx73 f series IRS diff, seems like you just need the bearings that match the housing and away you go.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Front diffs spin the other way tho.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Yeah but that wont worry the air locker center