Thread: 1985 4K-J Fuel Requirement?

Forum Member

Default 1985 4K-J Fuel Requirement?

I am in the process of purchasing a 1985 Toyota LiteAce truck. It has the 4K-J series engine, and I was wondering if you could help answer some questions.

First and foremost, does anyone have any idea what fuel requirements this engine has? What octane rating, and is running unleaded okay?

Note: This is a Japanese market truck that was imported to the US about a year ago.

I will surely have additional questions moving forward - thanks!

Robert

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Default Re: 1985 4K-J Fuel Requirement?

It'll be fine with unleaded as all K-series engines run alloy heads with hardened valve seats (thus doesn't need leaded fuel). Personally I'd run the equivalent of 95RON which in the 'States would be 90/91 AKI, just make sure it isn't E10 as the fuel system almost certainly won't be able to handle the ethanol content.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Forum Member

Thumbs up Re: 1985 4K-J Fuel Requirement?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiro View Post
    It'll be fine with unleaded as all K-series engines run alloy heads with hardened valve seats (thus doesn't need leaded fuel). Personally I'd run the equivalent of 95RON which in the 'States would be 90/91 AKI, just make sure it isn't E10 as the fuel system almost certainly won't be able to handle the ethanol content.
    Hello Hiro, thank you very much for the prompt reply. This is exactly what I needed to know!

There are a number of gas stations in my area that offer high-octane ethanol free gas, so I should be okay.

Thanks!

Robert