Thread: Need help locating EFI Relay and Circuit Opening Relay on 1981 Cressida (MX62)

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Need help locating EFI Relay and Circuit Opening Relay on 1981 Cressida (MX62)

First post here!

My situation:
    I'm wiring up a 2JZ-GE VVTi motor into a 1981 MX62 Cressida.

I only have 1982 engine wiring diagrams so it is difficult to find the parts I'm looking for without going through and looking for continuity from one component to the next on the Cressy.

Could anyone point me to the EFI relay (Main Relay) and Circuit Opening Relay (COR) on this car?

My intent is to give the ECU control over the EFI Relay via the MREL output on the ECU and have the COR trip off of switched power until I can get the FC output converted from PWM to 12v constant.

Thanks so much!

Sam
    Last edited by be18see1; 16-05-2017 at 02:59 AM.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Need help locating EFI Relay and Circuit Opening Relay on 1981 Cressida (MX62)

Acquired a complete manual locally. In case anyone needs a reference and doesn't have the complete manual:

IG main relay and main relay no.1 are in the engine bay fuse box (first two positions). MR no.1 appears to provide power to the ECM and ignition.

Main relay no. 2 is separate from the fuse box and appears to provide power to the injectors.

I'm going to pull from the IGN (7.5A) and feed that to IGSW ECM input. then I'll use the ECM MREL output to the switch the relays. I'm hoping this is sufficient to get me around any IACV issues.

Circuit opening relay (COR) is near the ECM over the glove compartment and switches power to the fuel pump (RUN/START positions). I think I can eliminate the AFM portion of the circuit and ground the coil instead which will turn on the pump whenever the key is in RUN or START. I'd like to improve this to an ECM-controlled relay in the future but I'd like to knock out all the other stuff first.
    I drive autos because I can't shift

2005 Lexus IS300 - Supercharged
    1994 Toyota Land Cruiser
    1991 Mazda RX7 - NA-T auto project