Thread: VIC- Vicroads engine registration help 1JZ IS200

Forum Member

Default VIC- Vicroads engine registration help 1JZ IS200

Ahoy!
    In few months in for my annual leave, I will be swapping in a 1JZ VVTI from a jzx100 chaser into my 2005 is200 auto, the one thing I'm mostly concerned about is the registration and engineering of the 90's engine to a 2005 chassis as vicroad so far I've read doesn't have a detailed information about doing these sort of things, can anyone who has done the swap elaborate with me!
    ~Cheers!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: VIC- Vicroads engine registration help 1JZ IS200

Talk to an engineer is your best bet. They are the ones who need to certify any changes like this.

I haven't done the swap but your questions are largely based around legislative requirements and a rough idea follows.

Going to an older engine might be tricky but check the applicable ADR's for emissions. If they happen to be the same for both vehicles, use the complete airbox to exhaust manifold setup as in the donor car. Most engineers will accept factory setups.

That said in 1999 the government started to introduce euro 2 and 3 equivalents for new cars. JZX100 was 1998? you say your IS200 is 2005. So a straight swap based on established compliance is problematic and you might be up for trying to pass an emissions test. You might be able to show that JDM emissions standards met or exceeded Australian standards in 1998 and comply with ADRs applicable in 2005 (Was there an ADM 1jz powered car in the period that you could blag your way through with?)

Twisted ****** Backyard Mechanic .T.'s Avatar

a few years ago i did a number of altezza powered is200's - & they had to prove emissions compliance. I managed to get hold of an engineering cert for an altezza that included the emission test so i avoided having to do the lm240 test.
    the fact that the motor is older than the chassis is a big no-no. if you can prove that the jzx100 was built at the same time as the is200 (is200 99-2005 I think) you might have a chance getting provisional approval, but will still need to do an emissions test from my experience.

yes you need to speak to an engineer FIRST

personally if i was to play with another is200 i'd fit a 1uz vvti version (but from an aus car) kit can be bought from the states to bolt it in - is300 diff, r154 box, done. easy

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by masterofsinanju View Post
    That said in 1999 the government started to introduce euro 2 and 3 equivalents for new cars. JZX100 was 1998? you say your IS200 is 2005.
    Quote Originally Posted by .T. View Post
    the fact that the motor is older than the chassis is a big no-no. if you can prove that the jzx100 was built at the same time as the is200 (is200 99-2005 I think) you might have a chance getting provisional approval, but will still need to do an emissions test from my experience.
    JZX100 was 1996-2001, so there is significant overlap with the IS200. And the 1JZ continued on after that anyway in the JZX110 and JZS131 so you might be able to use something from a newer MarkII or Crown.

Quote Originally Posted by masterofsinanju View Post
    You might be able to show that JDM emissions standards met or exceeded Australian standards in 1998 and comply with ADRs applicable in 2005 (Was there an ADM 1jz powered car in the period that you could blag your way through with?)
    No such thing as an ADM 1JZ
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

Just reiterating, talk to an engineer before starting anything major if you want to get it signed off.

Also remember that they get hassled by loads of daydreamers so be nice, do your homework to show that you are serious and listen to what they have to say.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Forum Member

sorry for my lack-luster question but,can anyone point me to a engineer within s.e or east suburbs in melbourne?
    thanks!

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

There is (or at least was) a list of registered engineers on the Vicroads website. Find this and scan through them.

Back in the day there was a guy who operated out of Bayswater, right near Toyospares. They got all their approval work done through him, but his name escapes me now. IDB in Richmond also used to be helpful.
    I need a working 4AGE bottom end. Pref smallport GZE, but all others considered. Also complete motors.
    Drift Volvo. Was fun. 2JZ next time.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Google "VASS Signatory" there is a June 2017 updated list of approved signatories on the Vicroads website.