Thread: TA22 Ignition switch replacement help

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default TA22 Ignition switch replacement help

Hi all
    I have a problem with my TA22 ignition switch, actual switch behind key. It's working sometimes but not others, know this because connected volt meter to starter solenoid and voltage is erratic when attempting to start.
    I purchased a new one from toyhead auto but found outer plastic case is approx 1/2 mm bigger than od of metal switch body.
    I also tried the same switch from costcutters on ebay and same problem.
    Thought it unusual if you need to dismantle switch to install. Has anyone else used these with success?
    Unluckily can't post images so link to toyhead auto
    http://toyheadauto.com/J-pegs/Igniti...ca_1972_75.JPG

Thank given ahead.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: TA22 Ignition switch replacement help

not entirely sure but I think there may be a size difference between the TA22 and the RA2# switch. TA being smaller. I know the columns are different. you may need to source a second hand part instead.

Forum Member

Nice Products list two switches for a TA22. The first is for vehicles up to a build date of 07/1972, and only has a 4 pin harness connector. The second for vehicle built after that date - part no. NC102 - has a similar style harness connector to the one in your picture, but with only 5 pins populated. Unfortunately they do not show dimensions of the switch housing, but it might be worth checking out.
    I hope you can track one down.

Joel

Quote Originally Posted by celica2860 View Post
    Nice Products list two switches for a TA22. The first is for vehicles up to a build date of 07/1972, and only has a 4 pin harness connector. The second for vehicle built after that date - part no. NC102 - has a similar style harness connector to the one in your picture, but with only 5 pins populated. Unfortunately they do not show dimensions of the switch housing, but it might be worth checking out.

Joel
    Thanks Joel. I am still looking, will have a look at Nice Products. I found the switches Toyheadauto sells are the same as chinese copies sold on ebay, which I tried initially, with same size problem.
    Cheers. Tony.

Quote Originally Posted by celica2860 View Post

Joel
    Hi Joel.
    i looked at Nice Products catalogue and then ordered the NC133, but when finalizing order told not available. Later found from Nice Products part number fits different model Toyotas including TA22, RT80 corona and FJ40,45,55 Landcruiser. So did search of ebay and found numbers of the switches available there. The NC133 NC102 have switch boy dimensions shown, which made decision much easier.
    Thanks again for passing info on.
    Cheers Tony