Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Turbo RWD 1MZ

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Turbo RWD 1MZ

Finished the turbo oil drain into the sump, put some heat shielding on some pipes, changed the rack ends to R34 and fitted RT132 arms. Too much camber, will go back to KE70 arms. Power steering works nice with the 225 tires.
    Altinator is completely dead, and foam is coming out the radiator. Nice people at customs probably killed everything with the poison soap they washed the inside of the engine with (and charged me over $200 for them to do it).
    Put the car on stands, took it up over 200km/h. Brand new tyres have flat spots from sitting in the same spot for a year
    Put the handbrake on full (Hiace 'F' Diff), took off in 3rd to try and get some boost while on the stands, got about 5psi (Wastegate spring is 7psi). Only took 1-2 seconds to hit limiter. Exhaust is loud!! Nice 1J like idle rumble.
    Need to mount the battery, do some more wiring, put the doors on, paint and register it

Update:-
    I now have a mod plated turbo 2MZ RWD in my KE70 corolla. Stock unopened engine with 250,000km and stock cast exhaust manifolds.
    I was running 38psi fuel pressure (rising rate reg) and 5.5psi. Was nice.
    Now I am running 10psi, 52psi fuel pressure. Boost mixtures are good, rich on cruise and idle, will put a piggy on it.
    Stock ECU has no complaints, rev limit around 6300
    Makes approx 350hp at engine, pulls like a train. Boost hits at 4k, keeps pulling harder and harder till rev limit. Can smoke 3rd for 50m (225 hancooks). Probably does mid 12s
    Temps are good. Idle fine, starts super easy
    Occationally stalls on back off (I am using an ISC from a 20V)
    A lot less torque then I expected, but then again it has no runners (plenum straight onto lower manifold). Still, pulls up hills in 4th or 5th no problems.
    Turbo is too big (GT3576), doesnt hit boost in 1st. A 1MZ crank and rods should fix that problem.
    My guess is the compression is around 9.5 stock based on my gauge (No documentation on 2MZ anywhere)
    Can take off in 2nd by riding the clutch a little.
    Will take it to the drags soon.

Broke 3x 4.11 'F' diffs lol
    Took it to a track day, did 10-20 laps. On the straight it kept up with RB30 R31, Lexus ISF, 2J Hilux, 19psi STI and others. Out cornered everyone. Temps got up a bit but not scary. No issues what so ever.
    Getting a 3.7 F next week
    Sent a 1MZ piston to Wiseco to get some custom low comps so I can run 20psi.

Update:-
    3.7 Trutrac Torsen diff is in. Does not feel as fast, tho it does boost in 1st now. Speedo is more accurate now too.
    Took it to the drags, it was packed! Maybe 100 cars? Took 90mins to get one run. As the diff was put in just before driving to the drags, I had no idea how to launch it. Bagged 1st, and then 4th cut out, when back to 3rd limiter, then back to 4th, did 13.5
    Was not going to wait 90 mins for another run so went home.

Made some changes:-
    Took out the stock 225cc injectors, put in 355cc BEAMS injectors, dropped FP back to 45psi (was 55).
    Wired in a AEM F/IC6, did a MAFless tune.
    Put in a EBC, set to 16psi (Thats peak. As the turbo is a bit too big, it only hits 16 in 3rd and above. Around 12psi in 2nd).
    Remember, this is a 21 year old stock NA engine with 280,000km. Lets see how long it lasts at 16psi! (So far 2 days).

Custom 1MZ Wiseco pistons arrive in a few weeks, then I can make it a forged 3.0

Strange ****** Grease Monkey wraith's Avatar

Looks like you're having fun!

Reckon you need the S13 stuff to make the engine fit? or did you just got that way for suspension and brakes?

If you end up putting the 1MZ crank in, and want to offload the 2MZ crank, let me know.
    WTB- replacement titanium nuts to suit the squirrel on my Megaswarf 2300. Carbon fiber model, not the Chinese knockoff fiberglass.

Found a bad injector (chinese copy), maybe why the power was dropping off randomly.
    Got my H rods, bearings and custom pistons ready now, so the engine has to come out soon
    Did some work on a Panther prototype ECU for it, its running with sequential injection etc. Needs some more software work.
    Ordered another 2MZ complete engine with AWD A541F box (that will be interesting, its like a RAV box but with a U140/150 diff. Not sure if the diff is locked and uses a mag clutch on the front of the rear diff like later model RAVS.

Speaking of RAV, removed the 3SGTE and A540H today, fitting a 1MZ turbo and U150F next week.

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

How much did the pistons set you back?

Had to go S13 crossmember, as the starter was hitting the KE steering uni.
    I am still using AE86 struts and brakes.

I wont need the 2MZ crank.

Pistons $1000? Wiseco

Update - Got a Panther ECU prototype with sequential injection in it now. Still got a fair bit to go on the software, but it is running 15psi on the old stock 2MZ lol. Has Beams 3SGE injectors now too.

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by samkaos View Post
    Has Beams 3SGE injectors now too.
    If you need bigger injectors, the Subaru 565cc fit nicely and are easy to get for $100/set.
    They are hi-z, have 12 pintle nozzles, are 10mm shorter then the 1MZ/3MZ injectors, fit both 1MZ/3MZ lower manifolds and only need the fuel rail spacers machined down to make up for the 10mm height difference. They also work on 4A's.

Subaru 565cc VS 3MZ 255cc VS 4AGZE 370cc

They sit nicely in the port and should have much better atomisation over the stock 1MZ nuggets.

There is plenty of injector choices.. STI pinks are good, Caldina / ST205 550s are good, Toyota 800cc are good etc

I am running Beams 375cc injectors.

Rods didnt like 15psi at rev limit, #2 smashed into powder and bent a valve. Getting a new sleeve put in and forgies with 1MZ 3.0 crank, then aiming for 18psi

Unfortunately, the broken rod cracked the 1.5mm thick steel sleeve and then split the alloy that holds it all the way up. Will have a fresh prepped block this weekend, ready to re-assemble with all forged internals and 3MZ exhaust cams. Hello 18psi