Thread: IS200 Exhaust Headers

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Bazooka's Avatar

Default IS200 Exhaust Headers

I have recently picked up a completely stock IS200 as a runabout and as with everything I just have to tinker with it.
    I know the 1G-FE is no rocket ship but a few little things, at least before I convince myself to throw this SC14 on it, can't be a bad thing. I've been searching for anyone that does a set of headers off the shelf for them but having no luck. I did find reference to a company by the name of DKNE but it seems they may have gone out of business. There may be an option out of the UK but shipping is the killer.
    Does anyone know of a local company that may be able to supply?

i wrote the Automotive Encyclopaedia roadsailing's Avatar

Default Re: IS200 Exhaust Headers

wouldn't bother personally, looks like they have tube headers already (with close coupled cats) so not much weight to be saved, and not much point putting headers on something with stock cams. just put a loud exhaust on instead?
    like to drift? live in victoria?
    www.vicdrift.com

now targeting: targets

formerly shinybluesteel

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Bazooka's Avatar

I still plan to take it to the shop and get a decent exhaust on it. I figure getting rid of two of the cats can only be beneficial and just have one high flow item in the exhaust. Seeing that the headers would be where most of the expense lies to have a full system made an off the shelf item would be the way to go.
    This should also be beneficial in the near future once I figure out what I need to supercharge it. (That's another thread)

Drift barge master Backyard Mechanic orestes's Avatar

I've owned a few 1Gs in various guise in old Supras and Soarers. The comparative thing that the 1G-FE has is VVT-i but most of the power is developed with the variable valve timing higher up in the rev range. Comparatively the power of an NA 1G-GE is about the same, but the weight difference between a GA61 or a GZ10 makes the 1G-GE moderately brisk in a Celica Supra or Soarer when you are absolutely punting it doing something like hitting 80km/hr+ in second gear. In an IS200 the performance is underwhelming and the VVT-i pushes the power even further up into the rev range. If you've got to get somewhere quickly you will be punching it above 5000rpm everywhere just to hit the point where the VVT-i kicks in.

The performance of the IS200 in a straight line is underwhelming and due to the crap fuel in Australia at at the time we never got the 3SGE BEAMS. This really leaves you in the realms of either buying an IS300 or doing an engine swap. You're wasting a lot of time and money to get you up to 250hp by which time you could have bought an IS300 or swapped for a BEAMS 3SGE.

It's not the point. The benefit of the IS200 is that it is one of Toyota's best handling cars they've ever made around corners. Invariably if you take it around some switchbacks there will be enough power, and enough fun. This is where the IS200 sits best and where most people misunderstand the possibilities of an IS200. Spend some money on a nice set of wheels then spend some money on a sports exhaust so you can get the most out of the engine note of the NA 1G. Despite the lack of power they are one of the best sounding Toyota engines ever made. Spend the rest of the money on a nice sound system.

You will not go far quickly with an IS200. If you want to go far quicker get an IS300. If you want better weight balance and to go far quickly get yourself a BEAMS 3SGE, gearbox, and ECU package and put it in the front of your car. You really need a sub 1200kg car to make an NA 1G seem spirited. The IS200 is porky at 1800kg. NA 1Gs are nice in old Celicas and Coronas, they're not much chop in a modern porky car with all the safety features added on.
    Last edited by orestes; 06-06-2018 at 10:42 PM.
    MZ-10/GZ-10 hybrid turbo rolling shell, RB30 powered
    IS200 - 1GFE

Toymods Board Member Chief Engine Builder Hiro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by orestes View Post
    The IS200 is porky at 1800kg.
    IS200s are between 1350-1450kg kerb. 1800kg is more like gross mass, which would be with 4 burly guys and a boot-full of beer on board.
    AE102 - Charlene the Old Faithful, Reborn
    JZZ30 - Lexi the Spacecruiser, 1JZGTE>>3SGE. 200rwkw, hunting Skylines and n00bs in SS Commodores
    ST162 - Charlie the non-ghey Celica, 3SGE>>4AGE. GOOOOOOOONE
    AE82 - Rosie the Bitsa from Hell, 70.8kw atw. Has been converted into garage space and money at last
    KE55 - Billie the Beast, sadly missed