Thread: 4AGE NA AW11 MR2 Not starting, need help

Forum Member

Question 4AGE NA AW11 MR2 Not starting, need help

1986 Toyota Mr2 5speed NA
    My car was running fine but about a week ago it didn't want to start anymore. There is no check engine light, it cranks great and it's getting fuel. When I pull out the spark plugs they're covered in gas.
    So I thought that I'm not getting spark. My spark plug wires were a little old and worn so I replaced them with a new set then I tested the coil and it was almost dead so I bought a brand new coil and installed it with no new results. I then cleaned all of the grounds and made sure they were touching metal. I unplugged my electrical connectors and cleaned them with electric parts cleaner. After trying to fix this problem for over a week now my battery went out and wouldn't start the car even when it got a jump. So now I'm the proud owner of a brand new one.
    Then I thought it may be the distributor so I tested it and the ohm readings are in spec. The air gaps for the pickups inside the distributor are within spec. I've also tried a brand new distributor cap and rotor to no avail.
    Grounded the spark plugs on metal today and I can see blue sparks coming from each spark plug. I have spark! yay....but it still won't start.
    I replaced the spark plugs today as the old ones were fouled. I also installed new o rings and caps on all of the injectors as well as my new fuel damper. Also installed a brand new fuel pump today and still no change. I've checked the timing and it's dead on.
    I've tested the Mass air flow sensor and its within spec, I replaced my throttlebody with another one and recalibrated the Throttle position sensor. I did a compression test and all cylinders are good. Checked all of my grounds and fuses again, swapped out the ecu for a known good one and checked for vacuum leaks but didn't find any.

Now when I try to start the car I'm getting intake manifold backfires my timing is dead on so could my fuel pressure regulator be causing this? Is there anything else that could cause this?

Don't know what else to try, really need some help guys.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 4AGE NA AW11 MR2 Not starting, need help

I would check your intake cam timing. One or both cam gears could have jump a tooth or two. Also verify that the zero mark on the crank damper using a piston stop. The 4AGE damper pulley is known to move within the rubber bonding. My old 4AGE damper had moved more the 25*. Dave W7

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by davew7 View Post
    I would check your intake cam timing. One or both cam gears could have jump a tooth or two. Also verify that the zero mark on the crank damper using a piston stop. The 4AGE damper pulley is known to move within the rubber bonding. My old 4AGE damper had moved more the 25*. Dave W7
    Completely redid the timing and made sure distributor was inserted correctly. Had a friend double check everything and the car still won't start, I'm still getting intake manifold backfires.
    Here's a video: https://youtu.be/IgHC8Oha_iA
    Last edited by frany; 27-11-2016 at 01:26 PM.

Forum Member

figured it out, turns out my efi main relay was busted and my distributor wasnt in the right position, replaced the relay and she runs great! So happy