Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1G-GTE MLS headgasket

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

Default 1G-GTE MLS headgasket

Hey guys,

Not exactly sure where to post this, so apologies if I missed the goal posts with this one.

I am looking into ordering head gaskets for my 1G-GTE (Yes, plural, I have no misconception I will break a motor or two on this journey)

I dug up this old thread with

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/thr...ket-for-1g-gte

and it has talk of the Kameari gaskets and some others, but is very old and I can find little info, so I dug through some old book marks and contacted http://www.gasketstogo.com/

John has been great to deal with and his pricing seems terrific. He already has tooling for the 1G gasket and thinks from memory it has been run within the last 6 months.

He claims his MLS gaskets are as good as any other, and are in championship winning motors etc.

Does anyone have any info on these gaskets, if they are good bad or indifferent?

FYI my HKS gasket measured 1.5mm

For those playing at home, I have been quoted:

qty 1-4
    thickness 1.0 or 1.2mm
    $170

qty 5+
    thickness 1.0 or 1.2mm
    $150

qty 1-4
    thickness 1.5mm
    $180

qty 5+
    thickness 1.5mm
    $160

qty 1-4
    thickness 1.8 or 2.0mm
    $190

qty 5+
    thickness 1.8 or 2.0mm
    $175

So if anyone is interested, let me know.

At this stage chasing feedback, but think I am going to be the guinea pig here.

Cheers, Andy
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

Default Re: 1G-GTE MLS headgasket

Why so thick?? Does your piston stick up above the blocks edge @ TDC?
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

My piston will sit where I tell it to, as I have not had them made yet

I based it on a 1.5mm gasket as that is what the HKS gasket is.
    and just got the thicker and thinner options priced while I had the opportunity.

Are you thinking even the 1.5mm is thicker than normal? I could measure up a standard one, but I think it is in that range.
    I thought with the big boost and power planned it would not hurt to be a little lower than a little higher on compression..

Cheers, Andy
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

The old One Backyard Mechanic

Andy
    Just ran the venier over one I took off the car and it is 1.2 mm. A new aftermarket one was the same. 'Cos I need more valve clearance I would like to have something in the order of 2mm for the new engine under construction. So if you are going done that track put me down for 2.

Craig

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Just throwing this in for consideration.

A thicker headgasket is technically not the best idea.

If your piston to valve clearances are "optimal" then you should be able to run a thin gasket and therefore minimise its impact on the squish area and its ability to fail. Why would you use gasket material as the side wall of your combustion chamber instead of actual block wall.

Thick gaskets are used as an affordable means to an ends. I would never ever intentionally plan to use one.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Cheers ddeane and toyman

ddeane, we can order different thicknesses and bore sizes within the 1 run, which makes it pretty sweet for all involved if you do want the thicker gaskets. Can you not fly cut the pistons for valve clearance?

toyman, I had considered that point in my head, and will continue to bear it in mind.

Considering I will be ordering my own pistons I can probably run whatever gasket thickness I want, and order the pistons to suit.

Just as there is too thick, I assume there is too thing.

So 1.0 or 1.2mm as per standard may be the way to go??

Cheers, Andy

Junior Member Grease Monkey Jayem's Avatar

I did order custom made head gasket with separate fire rings for my 1G-GZTE. The thickness was 1.9mm and i didn't notice any ill effects. I run 1.9bar boost.

Another point to your conversation is that IS200 Lexus 1G-FE does have MLS head gasket. I believe its 1.25mm just like 1G-GTE stock gasket but I'm not 100% sure about the thickness of Lexus gasket. I can have look and estimate tomorrow in my garage. My estimation would be done with Mitutoyo digital caliper and I'm machinist by trade... so make your own conclusion.
    Appelsiini jaffaa!

is that with the engine in car? If you can measure would be good, if not I am sure I could find the info online somewhere.

I read about people running doubled up 1G-FE gaskets on the GTE's. Sounded very dodgy to me.

Quote Originally Posted by love ke70 View Post
    is that with the engine in car? If you can measure would be good, if not I am sure I could find the info online somewhere.

I read about people running doubled up 1G-FE gaskets on the GTE's. Sounded very dodgy to me.
    Sorry. I can't get to garage today but I try tomorrow again. The 1G-FE is on the shelf with head on so i need to try to measure the gap between the head and block.
    Appelsiini jaffaa!

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice kickn5k's Avatar

I personally use these guys when cometic don't do that engine. http://www.gasketsolutions.com.au/
    Really professional and located in QLD.

Hope that helps Andy.

I did go and measure the 1G-FE MLS gasket.
    It was only 0.65mm thick. Two layers. Maybe no go for many.
    Appelsiini jaffaa!

That is awefully thin!
    Thanks for the measurment

That is obviously why people use 2 of those on a turbo motor. I don't like the idea of doubling up, so still considering the custom gasket I guess

Forum Member

Hey guys been reading through some threads, as i have just purchased a 1ggte lux, and have done a headgasket already/was blown when i purchased.. the only place i have been able to source a vrs kit is through mdspares, and struggling to find a good quality water pump thermostat and timing belt kit, would yous know of anywhere?

genuine would be the go mate,

Not sure about these days but castle hill toyota used to be pretty helpful with these things