Thread: 1976 MS83 Crown Wagon

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Default 1976 MS83 Crown Wagon

Picked this beast up locally with rego. Was able to drive it etc, and after cleaning the plants out from under the chromework, replacing the wiper blades and rebuilding the pitman arm, got it pink slipped. Moved it to Historics when the 60 day logbook system came in, but haven't driven it since, as it's undergoing some much needed restoration works. Just vacuuming the car clogged the Dyson twice!

Work thus far is body rust repairs (including under the windscreen, and the front of the sills), and full respray. I hope to have the body spraying complete by Christmas. There was much less rust in her than one would expect. I'm in the process of rebuilding the original motor (had a lot of bore wear and the head gasket was blown between every cylinder! Still started and drove though), and will be transplanting some of the interior (including full dash, power windows and air conditioning) from a 1980 MS85 Super Saloon. I need to work out what to do with the stereo, as the factory stuff doesn't work, and cruising around without beats isn't good. But I don't want to detract from the original feel of the car (though it had a gaping hole in the dash when I bought the car)

Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 18R-GTE
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    2013 86 GTS Aero
    1976 RA23 - 3S-GE Beams build to get raced in IPRA...
    1976 MS83 - Slow and steady luxo barge - selling

Default Re: 1976 MS83 Crown Wagon

Ok, so progress to date:
    Have painted the body, but first coat didn't go so well, so I need to rub and buff and polish the shizer out of the roof. Nothing a bit of elbow grease won't fix.

Colour is 352 Orange from the 1976 colour catalogue, with satin black jambs etc.

Engine block is all machined, just need to drop it onto the stand and assemble (then get the head back and assemble it...)

Am currently splicing the dash and door wiring from a facelift 1980 Super Saloon with the cargo and engine bay wiring looms of the original 76 Wagon... What fun! Looks like there may be a cable from the instrument cluster to the dash light rheostat missing... either that or the plugs are hidden somewhere. Will continue my search for it tonight.

As for the stereo, I'm looking at making an insert which will interface with the factory dials and knobs, but give me bluetooth connectivity, AUX in, USB in, RCA out, handsfree comms and 4x45W power output all while keeping the visible part of the radio unaffected... will see how I go with that
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 18R-GTE
    2013 86 GTS Aero

Toymods Club Member Backyard Mechanic egamirrorim's Avatar

Crown wagon FTW!

You have a lot of orange cars...

Only have 4 orange cars... wouldn't call that a lot
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 18R-GTE
    2013 86 GTS Aero

Toymods Club Member Grease Monkey rhys80's Avatar

Love it mate have thought about "Super Saloon-ng" a wagon if I had the space and time. The best would be to get a hold of a bench seat set up from a JDM model.. Look forward to seeing it finished... I did up a JDM Mark 11 wagon with the woodgrain on the tailgate, Ordered it from the states. 3M make it.

Bull now in china shop! Domestic Engineer NME308's Avatar

Nice progress Oman.

Cheers,
    Jason
    3TC Compound Turbo 1976 TA23 - Members Ride Thread HERE
    479RWHP on 50psi and 70psi hasn't broken her at the track!

Quote Originally Posted by rhys80 View Post
    The best would be to get a hold of a bench seat set up from a JDM model..
    I like the buckets with console between, so bench isn't an option for me

Little exciting progress to report... both back doors are on, and fully wired up with functioning power windows, locks etc. Working on the driver's door and dash assembly at the moment. It seems to have copped some minor damage high up on the driver's side front and rear doors at some point. Nothing too major, but did require some panel beating and a light smear of bog (much less than was used in the professional repair mind you). I'm still waiting on the correct sized piston rings to turn up so I can finish assembling the bottom end, then wait for the head to come back freshly faced with the valves re-ground. Once it's able to run under its own steam, I'll put it up on the trailer and get the windscreen and side windows put in.

Hardest part is the tailgate. The whole bottom edge needs to be replaced for about 3-4 inches from the bottom. Plus need to find a suitable glass seal. The existing one has massive gaps where it has shrunk and the joins to the corners have separated. Would like to repair any rust in that section, paint and replace the seal before re-installing back on the car. The rest is all just time, money an effort really.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 18R-GTE
    2013 86 GTS Aero

Bit of an update. Photos to come.

With a week and a half to get the beast ready for the Nationals, it's set to be a tight race against the clock (still need to put a few hours into the Celica).

So I got the motor running on Sunday finally, extractors needed a 2" extension on the secondaries to clear the floor (might rebuild the secondaries later on to tidy things up), and I'm just going to run the full 2" exhaust from the wreck I bought for now. Need to add a short length of pipe to it.

Body wise, the only hanging panels to put back on are the bonnet and hatch. The former will wait until after I get the new windscreen put in on Friday and re-install the chrome around the windscreen. Then it will just be chrome trim, bumpers and grill to round out the exterior assembly.

Inside, I need to mount the stereo (factory unit from a 1980 model super saloon... doesn't work at this time, job for a later date), install the centre console, seat belts, rear trim, scuff plates and seats. A small amount of tidy up work in the dash wouldn't go astray either.

Its getting close to done, but it's also getting close to no time left. Plus there's a few hours of re-assembly and fuel pump replacement to be done on the Celica...

Oh the fun of owning old cars
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 18R-GTE
    2013 86 GTS Aero

Forum Member Grease Monkey

This is fantastic. 80 series crowns, 4Ms. My First registered car was an MS85 sedan.
    You're striking a chord with me o_man, repping and subscribing because im a nice c**t like that +1 *thumbs up*
    "Cressbox" 1987 MX73R -Hardparked
    "Tractorpimp" 1985 MX73R-under construction

D21 Navara- sent into the lungs of hell (Rust in Pieces ya farkin)

Which part of FNQ are you from? I grew up in Gordonvale.

More updates will come after Nats when I have time.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 18R-GTE
    2013 86 GTS Aero

Forum Member Grease Monkey

i only moved up here from sydney a couple of years back o man.

Living in Parramatta Park, right in town.
    I do have friends in gordo haha.
    "Cressbox" 1987 MX73R -Hardparked
    "Tractorpimp" 1985 MX73R-under construction

D21 Navara- sent into the lungs of hell (Rust in Pieces ya farkin)