Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Defects on Historic Vehicles - Not as easy to clear as you think. Or are they

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Exclamation Defects on Historic Vehicles - Not as easy to clear as you think. Or are they

So your on the way to a Toymods sanctioned event or on a maintenance run with your Historic registered vehicle and the next thing you know the Disco has started and you're being pulled over.

Generally this wouldn't be an issue, I am sure you have your paperwork, the rego's paid, Your Toymods membership is current and its a valid trip your making. But sometimes you get pulled up by some over zealous fuckwit on a power trip who thinks he knows more about your car and its history than you do. he probably thinks he knows more about the relevant ADR's for your car and if the chip on his shoulder is bigger than his head it wont matter what you say to show him the error of his ways. To make sure that you and the rest of world remember you cant argue with the law you may get a little yellow sticker on your windscreen and a long list of complaints to go and talk to the approved inspection station about.

So what happens next ?

Assuming you're not some kind of Labrador selling clown who was driving a vehicle that deserved to be defected then the first step is easy but annoying. You have to take the car and have it signed off by an approved inspection station - this will cost you time and money. Now if your car was on Normal rego, the inspection station can clear the defect for you on the spot, online. But its not, yours is on Historic Rego.

So now you're at the RTA (or RMS, or Service NSW or whatever their name is next week) and you're at the counter while the service staff is looking confused at his or her screen and telling you how the system can't find your defect notice and that they have never heard of this being done before. (Because lets face it, you have to be a special kind of hero to defect a Historic vehicle so its a rare thing)

At this point in time what you need to know is this - your car is NOT registered like a normal vehicle so they cannot find it in the section where you clear a defect, no mater how hard they try or how good they are.

What they need to do is go to the section called "Maintaining Conditional Registration" and find it in there.

And now you know

Last edited by trdee; 13-08-2015 at 04:19 PM. Reason: spelling nazi time
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Default Re: Defects on Historic Vehicles - Not as easy to clear as you think. Or are they

When did you start selling Labradors?
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Junior Member Grease Monkey Rens's Avatar

Default Re: Defects on Historic Vehicles - Not as easy to clear as you think. Or are they

When Kyle Sandilands ruined the Coconut Water industry

Forum Member Grease Monkey

I just went to the RMS to transfer the current NSW rego of my 97 hilux into my name.
    The talented lady behind the counter told me to get a blue slip because the cchas shape on the rego papers is not in their system.
    I explained that it means cab chassis and if it's printed on your rego notice it must be in your system.
    She then said " if you can tell me what type of car it is , I can change the shape on the system.
    Well now it is registered as a 1997 TOYOTA HILU92B RN85 UTE and was previously 1997 TOYOTA HILU92B RN85 CCHAS and no blue slip necessary.
    I had the same problem with my 95 corolla hatch because their system doesn't recognise hatchback any more and so it is registered as a sedan (this also stuffs up insurance paper work , but NRMA are well aware of the talented staff that work for RMS).
    There is also no communication between the police and the RMS , as I found when I was the victim of a hit and run and so I explained to the police and RMS that if they did not provide me with the offenders details my lawyer will be in contact ( funny that they immediately provided the details).
    To sum up - The older a car is , the more the "system" screws up and they are not interested in fixing it.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

It's all down to envy.

Sorry to hear you got bent over Rod. Nice that you shared the info. I'm surprised I haven't needed it yet.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Just curious, What exactly were you defected for though?
    In my experience ( I get defected a lot... ) you can't win with these guys when they are on a power trip. The police have to ability to defect ANY vehicle under suspicion of something not being ADR approved or something being changed after an inspection.
    For example, I was defected for a loud exhaust a while back, So I went and got it tested to prove it's 96Db (Legal for a pre 82 car) and it passed through inspection. All good, defect removed. Two weeks later I got defected for the exact same thing because the police didn't believe it was 96Db and refused to test the exhaust noise. That was about a year ago, And only a few months back I was defected AGAIN for the same fucking thing... 3 times so far.
    No matter how much proof you have, They can still defect on suspicion. Even if I had an official test done buy a mechanic (Because the inspection station isn't enough apparently) and had some tag riveted to the exhaust, They still have the power to defect and there is nothing you can do. Third time it happened I took it right up top, As high as I could go to the Ombudsman and Sergeants. They told me once it's in the system there is nothing they can do, at all...
    So essentially there is no way to prove your innocence before being defected and no way to prove it after having it fixed either. I was told by a Police Sergeant that they could theoretically station an officer outside an inspection station and defect the vehicles leaving under suspicion the inspection wasn't thorough enough. I don't even understand how this is even allowed. It's such a flawed system that only favours the government. Ballshit...

I've been told by a few people to get things engineered but I shouldn't have to get an exhaust with a legal noise level engineered. Even then the cop could just say he thinks I pulled a muffler out -___-
    My Daily: NooB's Delivery Vehicle
    My wife's Daily: Series B RA40 Liftback 22RE, power steering, AC. Cushy as.
    Current Project: NooB 3TGTE swap
    Back Burner: 1964 Toyopet ToyoAce, and a Series B TA45 GT coupe
    Too many cars

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

Now this might not be a popular thing to say, but if you are being defected that much, then perhaps you might want to take a look at your appearance/behaviour and modify it so that you don't attract such negative attention from the constabulary?

If you keep getting picked on by the same cop, take down his details and report him for harrassment?
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Everyone says that to me... It's 'my fault'.
    I drive like a Nanna, I'm respectful to police and my car is legal soo... They shouldn't be defecting me. And in saying that it's my appearance, They should not defect me for the way I look or because my car is a little outstanding. I hate that people have that mindset. There are so many shitboxes and death traps getting around yet it's always modified cars getting defected. The laws need to change, Because my car follows the ADR guidelines for a car that age and I'm still getting picked on which isn't fair. I'm sick of going through and paying for an inspection which I always pass, Just to have the proof to drive my daily.

Anywho... I better stop hijacking the thread. Sorry.
    Too many cars

Marcuz,

I was pulled over because he didn't like my headlights and my Parkers were "To Bright"

My headlights and parkers are 100% ADR and road legal.

When it comes to a defect you are guilty until proven innocent and that is what shits most of us, but there is nothing we can do about it on the side of the road while we grab our ankles and take the defect.

The more you have to verify/show your car is not defectable the better chance you have of not getting one from the more reasonable members of the cunstabulary.

The funny thing with all this is that you can get Conditional rego on a vehicle that does NOT comply with ADR rules, such as say a combine harvester. So them defecting a vehicle on Historic rego is so far unheard of, but yes, they can still do it.

As for your noise issues. I would carry all 3 previous defects in my glovebox and show them to the next guy who gives you one.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

That's bullshit man :/ Did you go straight through inspection and pass?

Unfortunately carrying previous defects doesn't help... I carried the last two with me and a statement from them saying it complies but still got defected.
    That's what I hate about the law here. Fair enough they are allowed to defect cars, Because theres some real shitboxes out there, But they should not be able to defect for things you have paperwork for. What ever happened to innocent until proven guilty? With my current RA40 build I plan on getting everything engineered but I'll still get defected I bet... There is no possible way to avoid it happening.
    I wouldn't mind it so much if I didn't have to pay for the first inspection as I pass every time, But the fact that I have to pay $190 every time I get defected is ballshit. It's like copping a fine for doing absolutely nothing.
    Too many cars

I hear you there man, The paying to clear a bullshit defect is no fun at all. And yes the car sailed through the inspection.

As for engineering - past experience with engineered cars suggests that you get pulled over a whole stack less often.
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT

Engineering is a good investment I reckon. Just not too sure how to go about it yet. The car isn't going to be too insane, Just coilovers, some suspension mods and maybe just an 18RG. It's just for daily use because my current daily NooB keeps getting defected and I need to take her off the road and fix some rust issues too...

Hijacking thread again... Sorry.
    Too many cars

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Rod, the quality of the vehicles you put together, that must be the most frustrating experience.

You guys know what my frankenstein vehicle looks like, yet I've not had anything other than a polite "that's loud, you'd get a lot less attention if it was quieter" from my local police. Maybe the engineering papers help. Maybe my time is yet to come.

Junior Member Conversion King

Guilty of not contributing to the usefulness of this thread, but before I get to that, thanks Rod for such a valuable and concise write up. I remember shaking my head after reading your ordeal on FB.

As much as I insist the classic Celica is a true aussie icon; the amount of people I see admiring these things and speaking favorably about their experiences in them in their younger days. They were definitely the cool little coupe everyone either owned or knew someone who owned one. This is coming from someone who just lives vicariously around a few Celica owners, since I was born 15-20 years too late and don't have a garage big enough for all the cars I'd love to own.

In reality though, the level of modification, or complete disregard for ADR's that you see in some historic or even non-historic plated registered blue or red badged aussie cars, you'd definitely think cops couldn't give a damn about them and target the smallest of detail in any other make/model that has the slightest hint of modification to bring it to modern standards.

Oh whats that? Your car only came with a carburetted 202, but you're running a supercharged LS1 and still running your stock brakes? No worries mate, wish we could see more of these aussie icons on the road. Oh make sure you buckle up those lap sash seatbelts.

Oh whats this? A restored 4 cyl coupe with modern headlights? THIS GUY IS BRAKING THE LAW!

Might be exaggerating a bit, but I'm sure you see the point.

Marcus: I would bin the idea of coilovers. Why would a 30yr old car built with a chassis that's not a spot welded, caged rigid race car need coilovers? Sure you can get superior dampening and travel out of them, but to the majority of people, coilovers are "JDM street rep" or used for stance.

Both are unnecessary nor period correct for a nice riding, cool looking older Japanese car. Stick to upgraded factory shock design and custom or progressive rate springs with a slightly lowered height. Much more daily practical and you'll get reamed less by the popo.
    Autodub - 1987 AW11 G-Limited, Dark Blue Mica 4AGZE T-Top 4EAT

I wanna run longer lower control arms and camber tops, I can't run them without coilovers because the stock spring perch hits the towers. I plan on changing most of the suspension on the front end for more adjust-ability so I can take my car to the track occasionally and thrash it and then drive home. Not for "JDM Street rep" -___-
    Too many cars