Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is200 + ls3 +t56 = is620

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: Is200 + ls3 +t56 = is620

This thing is now fluids, a battery cable, some earth straps and fuel pump wiring away from being started (started, not drivable). Nick and Tim came around yesterday and spent a good few hours with wiring diagrams, soldering irons and heatshrink reconfiguring the smoke pathways to integrate the GM and Lexus looms. A few pics. Warning, some disassembly required...

While I spent time on the oil cooler hoses:

I have obtained my submersible hose and some stainless cable ties, but didn't get a chance pull the pump hanger out and redo it yet.

That was the genuine first start video. Had only had it cranking up to that point.

Would be nowhere without Nick risking divorce to spend the entire day here today. You're a fucking legend mate. Thanks to Dad for being an extra set of hands this weekend and for good company
    I was very worried. We had no means of knowing if it actually had proper oil pressure before starting it. We removed one of the oil cooler lines and backfilled it to try and prime it. Then I slackened of a couple of of the other fittings and kept cranking until oil wept out. We figured it was good to go then. A temporary battery connection solution was implemented to facilitate the starting:

Nick working on connecting the DBW throttle:

Fuel hanger redone yet again with submersible fuel hose and stainless cable tie:

And this is exactly why you need submersible hose. This had barely even been sitting in fuel and only for about two weeks:

A couple of shots with the wheels on:

Second start and risking a few revs........

- - - Updated - - -

Note to self:

If unsure, check parts diagrams before making and installing power steering hoses to make sure you are connecting the pressure side where it actually needs to go. Add a new job back on to the list.

Otherwise, this is pretty much done as far as wiring goes. Doesn't seem to be leaking any new fluids. Awaiting clutch bleeder setup before taking off the stands. Want to let it get up to temp and make sure cooling system is well bled. And awaiting coolant recovery tank to be delivered.

Another marathon day from Nick for which I am once again very grateful!

- - - Updated - - -

Swapped the powered steering hoses over at the rack today. Sometimes Speedflow is really awesome. Sometimes it is shit. Today it was shit. But got it done and doesn't seem to be leaking. Wheel turns better too....

Then I started it up and let it run for awhile. Had my bleeder funnel in the radiator to try and get a lot of the air out. Plenty of burping going on. Got up to temperature. The fans cycled on and off a couple of times triggered by one of the ecus (who knows which one!). Dash temp gauge stayed rock solid in the middle.

After it got warm, just idling, it all of a sudden developed a noticeable tapping noise from the top of the engine somewhere on the passenger side. That had not ever been apparent before. Not noticeable from under the car really. Will see what it is like tomorrow when cold and see if it is oil viscosity related as has been suggested in this thread.

The other kind of big issue is starting. It never starts first time. But always pretty much immediately second time. Probably need to get a fuel pressure gauge on to it and see what is happening there. Have a Walbro 255 controlled by the GM ecu and am using a Corvette filter/regulator so it should all be hunky dory.

Ok, there's clearly a number of issues to address. One of them is the starting problem. I managed to borrow a fuel pressure tester to connect to the schrader valve on the end of the factory fuel rail.

I'm using a brand new Corvette fuel pressure regulator which is meant to keep fuel pressure at 58psi. I have a brand new genuine Walbro 255 in the fuel pump hanger which has a one way valve in it.

Something is wrong:

There is no fuel leaking externally. So I figure either there is fuel is leaking somewhere in the pump hanger or I have an injector stuck open or the regulator is a dud.

I bought a cheapy oil pressure gauge on the way home. Will get that connected and check that oil pressure does in fact exist and where it is at. Then I will start pulling shit apart.

But it's too cold tonight.

- - - Updated - - -

For those playing at home I have identified the source of the tapping noise.

That is the noise of a plug lead arcing when it is not properly seated on the plug and has come loose during running....

facepalm.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I think I have sorted the fuel pressure issue. Fundamental failure in understanding how the factory regulator worked. I had only blocked up the outlet of it. But once I pulled it all apart, I could still blow air through it. So I cleaned it all up, drilled out the spring and valve and sealed up every orifice with steel epoxy putty which is safe for fuel applications. I'll test it tomorrow night.

Clutch bleeder shit tested me, but I seem to have prevailed. Just in a really tight spot and everything was covered in brake fluid so hard to get everything tight enough to not leak anymore.

Yep, this shit is mobile!

Fuel pressure issue is sorted, runs so much fucking better. Started better, revved better. We knocked over a bunch of tidying up jobs and there seemed to be no reason left not to take it for a drive. So we did. Not sure what the neighbours thought about us mildly tear arsing around after 9pm, but zero fucks given! A guy around the corner I met while I was working on it a few months back messaged me asking if that was my car that had just booted up the hill past his house LOL

So. Much. Torque.

I do have an issue with the power steering though. Feels very heavy and the pump is whiny. Fluid is circulating though. I wonder if I damaged something when I had the hoses on back to front on the first few starts. Problem for another day anyway.

Engine bay looks a lot more tidy now.

Here is the first official drive.

- - - Updated - - -

Still haven’t fixed the power steering on this.

I jacked the front of the car up and tried bleeding the system a bit more this morning. Back and forth with the engine off, then more with the engine on. No dice.

So I sucked the oil out of the reservoir and pulled it off to fill it with some mesh to try and stop any aerating of the fluid that might be going on.

I then pulled the pump off and confirmed that the relief valve was moving freely. I pulled the valve out, it look alright. Put it back in and it plunges by hand no problem. Screw the fitting back in and the valve still seems to plunge freely. So I put the pump back on, reconnect all the fittings and throw a bit more fluid at it. Back to trying to bleed the system. Jack it up and back and forth with the engine off, then some more with the engine on. Back on the ground and still no cigar. What I did try was to see if it changes with revs and if I hold the revs at about 3k rpm, get a lot more assistance but the pump is really, really fucking noisy when I do that.

Not sure what to try next. Thinking maybe see if I can source a new pump for not too much and if that doesn't work then pull the rack out.

In amongst all this I thought I'd give it a tub.

- - - Updated - - -

Ok, since I'm so far into this project, I just ordered a new factory GM reservoir and feed hose to the pump. I just need to measure my pulley diameter and I will order a remanufactured Ford CB pump converted to suit a GM like this which supposedly is a more robust unit than the GM one.

At least if it still ends up being the rack, it'll all be sorted and new and capable of whatever I want to throw at it.

Undoing billet and Speedflow goodness makes me feel a little ill though.........

- - - Updated - - -

Hopefully this helps to resolve some issues. In combination with some other bits.

Included this magnetic filter as well:

- - - Updated - - -

So, Nick and I changed the pump, reservoir and the feed hose to the pump. Also changed the low pressure line and the high pressure connection to the rack.
    The good news is, power assistance has returned to expected levels. Then this happened:
    [Youtube]bSgFJSECaKU[/YouTube]
    However, as the video indicates, the new pump is noisy as fuck! It is ever so slightly bigger than the old one and just touches the Lexus ECU box which is probably contributing to the volume of noise. But, can drive with a bit more confidence now at least!

So, Nick and I changed the pump, reservoir and the feed hose to the pump. Also changed the low pressure line and the high pressure connection to the rack.
    The good news is, power assistance has returned to expected levels. Then this happened:

However, as the video indicates, the new pump is noisy as fuck! It is ever so slightly bigger than the old one and just touches the Lexus ECU box which is probably contributing to the volume of noise. But, can drive with a bit more confidence now at least!

Took this out today with the family. Did about 150km cruising around Brisbane visiting people and places. No leaks, no fires, no problems of any note at all.

Got a mate to give it a blat while stood and watched (and listened) from the outside. Smiled some.

Pretty much only needs three gears. 2nd, 4th and 6th. Will happily pootle around at 900rpm in 6th at 60km/h. Just magic. Has fuckloads of grip. Nail the throttle in 2nd and it just squats and goes with maybe the slightest of squirms. Very impressed. My mate with the ISF was pretty surprised at how fast and violent it is when you are hustling through the gears.

Needs a/c sorted quick smart and probably some wrapping of the exhaust. Gets a bit toasty down in the foot wells. Think I'd call it a success so far.

- - - Updated - - -

I drove this to work in the rain today to check what the wet weather manners were like.

Slick roads. 595-RSR tyres. 6.2L of manual engine. Sounds like the perfect recipe for shenanigans. I didn't spin the tyres once. Not even accidentally. Start in 2nd everywhere, even on hills. Just not a problem. Perfect road manners. Though driving with the windows mostly up really indicates the need to maybe add a couple of resonators to the exhaust, but that was always a possibility anyway and the pipes were made with allowance for that.

- - - Updated - - -

Just about to hit the dyno for a baseline run.

And then:

Video:

Sorry for the shitty phone vid, but you'll get the idea

- - - Updated - - -

Been driving this to work pretty much every day. Still great to drive in traffic.

Sorted out the steering wheel to rack alignment issue. Was simple, I'd way over thought it. Had a proper wheel alignment done yesterday. Put all of the interior back together.

Power steering pump is still noisy. Tried a treatment in it but that made no difference, nor was a I really expecting it too. I reckon for some reason I am getting air in the fluid still or some cavitation in the pump.

Would like to get it up on a hoist shortly and just do a bit of a spanner check on all of the driveline etc before I go nuts at driving events.

Loving it.

My wife drove this to her school today. Her year 12 students thought it was seriously awesome. And then she started it up...........

This happy tale was dampened by the fact some cock bumped into the back of me at a set of lights on the way home on Monday after an already fucking shit day at work. Bumper popped back out, but there's some scuffs and the paint is all cracked on the corner where he got me.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________

And that is the story complete up to today

Junior Member Grease Monkey Pagie84a's Avatar

Wow great build I can imagine the time and thought this has gobbled up

Bull now in china shop! Domestic Engineer NME308's Avatar

LOVE IT!!!

A 50cal machine gun concealed in a nun's habit...

Cheers,
    Jason
    3TC Compound Turbo 1976 TA23 - Members Ride Thread HERE
    479RWHP on 50psi and 70psi hasn't broken her at the track!

Thanks for the kind words guys. I started the conversion in late Nov 2014 and had it back on the road in early July.

Sometimes you go back and forth about whether to make a change. Like changing the wheels back to silver and the brake calipers to black. I really wanted to go back to a more sleeper look.

And then sometimes, on the first day she drives it, your wife helps make the decision for you.....

And then when giving it a clean, the well known wheel cleaner you use stains your calipers and makes them more of an orange colour.

And just like that, the decisions become easy!

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

THIS IS DISGRACEFUL!!!!

But your quality of work and attention to detail is excellent!

So on the whole, I'm on the fence.............................

Tho I did initially think that the JZ rims would look rather kewl. The on car photos (perhaps) show otherwise..............
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

With the benefit of hindsight, they looked a lot better when they were silver.

So a couple of things that are shitting me. There is a lot of general gear noise from the box and the shift is a bit shit, especially 2nd > 3rd at high revs. I hadn't done an oil change before I put it in, so I did a bit of research and apparently this is meant to be the shit for a T56:

Not cheap by any stretch especially once you add in the flushing solution and the rare earth magnetic drain plug they recommend. So hopefully it does make a significant difference.

One of the side effects of doing a conversion on an IS200 is that the fuel gauge goes down in 1/4 tank increments rather than smoothly. This is because the ECU drives the fuel gauge and it takes the intank float as well as injector pulse width measurements as inputs to output a reading to the gauge. You can't really easily tap into the signal to bypass the ECU stuff either because that is part of the multiplex from the ECU to the dash. So I bought a cheapish Speedhut digital gauge to stick somewhere and just use the float as the input. Hopefully that works.

Finally, I was looking at a way to properly monitor the oil pressure and temperature. Decent gauges were starting to get spendy and then I'd have to find a good way to mount them. So I ended up going with of these:

It is a Defi Advance ZD and came in a Club Sport kit which included sensors for oil pressure, oil temp and water temp. Given the problems I had with fuel pressure, I added a fuel pressure sensor as well. Like all Defi gear, it is programmable with warning levels etc. This thing can also show speed, revs, shift light and has some built in lap timing and stuff. The display unit is actually pretty small. TO try and be a bit discreet, I'm mounting it on top of the steering column where it pretty much doesn't block any of the existing dash gauges but is still right in the line of sight.

I just need to install all of the sensors and then get Nick back around for some more wiring duties!

Forum Member

Hi i was reading over your build lastnight. I thought i had OCD. Lol ive got LS1 in my IS300 with vcm3 cam. Was a good read.