Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 5MGE expert opinions valued - inlet manifold design and room for improvement

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 5MGE expert opinions valued - inlet manifold design and room for improvement

I too am keen to see how you get on with casting a new manifold

By the way, even if the power gain is not significant, surely the sound of an ITB setup will offset all that?

Exhibit A: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fad67CXj6H0

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: 5MGE expert opinions valued - inlet manifold design and room for improvement

Yes ill be finishing the making of my furnace next month, get a few ornamental items poured before I start playing with coreboxes n shiit. Plus the fact ill be striping the A43DE for its alloy, good bellhousing material would make a nice strong casting for manifold and throttle body assy.
    I want scope to run better cams in it eventually, so having ITBs will accommodate this , along with aftermarket ECU.
    I do have a build thread of my work so far with my MX 73.
    "Cressbox" 1987 MX73R -Hardparked
    "Tractorpimp" 1985 MX73R-under construction

D21 Navara- sent into the lungs of hell (Rust in Pieces ya farkin)

I would like to get into metal casting myself eventually - mainly for hobby projects, but I can see the utility for full sized engines too Will you be making a thread detailing the construction of your furnace?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Subscribing for hardcore 5m-ness!

Olde mechanic Carport Converter oldeskewltoy's Avatar

just going to put this here....

If I could offer a bit of influence... just where the manifold bolts to the head, instead of 6 straight ports, I'd cast them so you could continue my gradual curve at the port out to the manifold. It would only require about 15-19mm of the first bit to have a very minimal curve towards each valve
    Information is POWER... learn the facts!!

I'll put up a thread on my furnace construction, moneys tight as fuck right now, so its at a slight halt.
    Also looking at vapour injection and home made ethanol, again I wont go into details as oil companies like to kill off brilliant minds.
    My daily driver Navara will be a test rig for that, which I may put a thread up in here (for people wanting more efficiency in a standard carby application).
    I will though be helpful to people if they ask me.

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

Effeciency and Carbies shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence

Looking forward to seeing how this all progresses.

5M parts on Yahoo Japan
    http://page7.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/g144149626
    http://page17.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/j...ion/v403583671

Not even a thousand dollars for that complete turbo setup for that 5M-GEU

You buy it then mate, I've got no interest in making my cressy sneeze.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinSquirrel View Post
    You buy it then mate, I've got no interest in making my cressy sneeze.
    LOL, I sent this to another forum and they also thought it was a dead subject, by the way, nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by 73GTV View Post
    LOL, I sent this to another forum and they also thought it was a dead subject, by the way, nice work!
    Appreciate the input bud

I'm a metal caster by trade (only a few months of the apprenticeship left), most of my experience is ferrous stuff with hardsand but I've played with Ally and green sand at TAFE a bit. Feel free to pm me any time you have some questions and i'll see if i can help.
    seems like a pretty ambitious project but i like it.
    TBH with the whole project itself i'm all for people trying out this stuff at home (safety first of course) but for your final production piece itself maybe getting an actual foundry itself to do it, happily make up a few pre-production pieces yourself to get the pattern/coreboxes right. for the final piece a foundry will have better sands/metals and better melting practices and more experienced moulders to hopefully get you a better result.

Thanks HMI265, like the name (used to own Mopars).
    I used to work at a foundry, was mainly a fabbie (we made drainage products) but got to watch quite a few pours and moulds over the time.

I've worked with metal most of my life, so I'm aware of the dangers and wont do things half assed...
    That being said, I like to learn and improve skills, so ill keep you in mind if I've got any questions. Hope to start the fabrication of the furnace in the next week or two. I'll have a thread up here so fellow modders can see progress.

I've decided to just tidy up the old bus and get her back on the road, put the casting bizzo on the back burner for now. My work involves travel, so a comfortable car would be a bonus.
    I'll be Sydney bound in October, so I hope to see some of you guys at some meets.
    Last edited by SmokinSquirrel; 21-04-2015 at 09:48 PM. Reason: After umming and ahhing, i realise how much i love X chassis