Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Turbo BEAMS 3SGE KE70

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Turbo BEAMS 3SGE KE70

Turbo manifold is getting machined today, it warped slightly (< 0.5mm) at one end when I welded it.
    Temperature is good and no other issues apart from tuning (and the reg which still hasn't arrived).
    Going to stick with 20psi for a while.

Oh, stripped down my last 3S, as it was a bit funny after hitting 35psi.
    Amazing, the pistons, bearings etc look perfect! Bores have a couple of very minor scratches but nothing show stopping.
    The odd thing is, No4 gudgeon pin appears to be bent WTF! Its what 5mm steel in an alloy piston, how can it bend? Its jammed in the rod bush and only partly rotates in the piston!
    Jack Bros are checking it out today to see if the piston or rod can be saved.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Wow thats wierd dude. Heard of all kinds of piston failures but never a bent gudgeon Pin.

Yer I have broken a lot of things before, but its the first time I have seen something like that, and the pistons look perfect. Apparently when you buy pistons they give you the thinnest pins they sell and you have to pay for an upgrade.

Anyways, I went to the drags and did 13.3, very disapointed! and it was very laggy! (at least I beat a WRX lol)
    Had a think about what could be the problem, and descided to gut the cat.
    Drilled a hole in it to look, only thing I could see is that its stainless not ceramic.
    Can-opened it, and the insides which are only about 1/3 the length of the cat could rotate and move around in the housing!! So the cat might spin and block the exit hole!
    Welded it back up empty, and turned VVT on above 4000.
    WOW 20.5psi and I cannot get traction in 2nd on the street. Going back to the drags in 2 days.
    Eventually will up the boost to 25.

Bull now in china shop! Domestic Engineer NME308's Avatar

13.3 may be a disappointing time slip - to you!
    But for a first time out and nothing broken by the sound of it surely that is a win??? You still have the car complete and can keep tuning!

What mile per hour did it go this time?

Cheers,
    Jason
    3TC Compound Turbo 1976 TA23 - Members Ride Thread HERE
    479RWHP on 50psi and 70psi hasn't broken her at the track!

102mph. Now that the cat is gutted, and I put the 850cc injectors in with 40psi base pressure, I figure based on the injection time that its making around 400hp at 21psi at engine. I cannot flatten 2nd gear even with 3 people in it. Third can be scary too, have to be pointing straight or instant sideways when boost hits. Hoping to go to the drags again this week. My heater is leaking again (my soldering job only lasted so long), so I will bypass it for the moment. Its idling smooth at 900RPM (altho around 12.5:1 rich, the injectors are touchy). Cruising its between 13.6:1 and 14.7:1 so fuel ecconomy should be good. I did a lot of driving in it the other day (Altho only punching it occationally) and went through like 5.7L. Tempting to try E85, but for now I will stick with 98 octane. Still a fair bit more software to go on the ECU, but I drove it for an hour or so last night and it was a lot of fun. Also thinking of getting a straight through muffler (its tri flow atm).

It was off tap this morning, I smoked up 3rd twice at around 90 (both wheels) just trying to go straight,
    Ok back to the drags, the engine was cutting out in 4th (ECU issue), and mixtures kept changing. Same time, but 106-108mph.
    I had a look at the intake manifold, #1 runner had cracked 360' because I ground back the welds to far to make it look pretty.
    Went to weld it up, welder is f*cked!! Damn. Ahh A mate has a similar one. Borrowed it, welded it, did not grind it back, and painted it all pretty.
    I just dont have time to write software to run the VVT at the moment so I just ordered a Toda adjustable cam wheel for the intake. VVT full off or full on are both to far.
    Also the chinese boost controller is struggling, it spikes to 25 then settles on 20-21. I might have to put in external wastegate. I tried moving the feedback line from the intake manifold to the turbo outlet but that didnt help.

Ok took it back to the drags, 28 degrees track air temp at night! Engine was getting way to hot sitting at the line, and had the same strange occasional loss of power. I tried with and without the muffler, no power difference.

Took it out the other night and broke down on the freeway. Took me a while to work it out, the CAS wire has snapped clean off at the ECU plug. I ran a whole new cable from the CAS to the ECU. I think this has fixed the power loss problem (fingers crossed).

Finally scrapped that crappy ebay chinese tripple core radiator and put in a double row MX5 NA radiator (plastic end tank type) and twin 12in thermos. Much better! Only driven it once, but temps were between 86 and 92 degrees which is nice. (Chinese one would just keep creaping up and never come down!)
    Also gives me a lot more room, I can get the crank pulley off now without pulling the radiator.

Pulled out the intercooler and put in a 450x300x100 (was 450x300x75). No noticeable difference on the first drive, but should be more consistent temp at the hot track and coming into summer.

Changed rear tyres from Potenza S002 to Yoko Advan A08Rs. Hoping that gives me traction in 2nd. Noticed an improvement, but havent had time to heat them up.
    Hoping to go in the new Race a Mate days at Willowbank (Must drive car there and not touch it, no lights or times just flags. First over the line wins) sounds perfect

Getting major boost spikes, if you just flatten it, the spikes are small (1-2psi) but if you throw it back a gear the spikes are huge (up to 5psi, total 26!)
    I am going to remake the exhaust manifold from scratch, and put in external wastegate, possible T3 GT3071R or twin GT2259. Havent descided yet.

Also put in a Toda adjustable cam wheel instead of the VVT. Only moved it a couple of degrees and the idle got lumpy (had to lift idle to 1050rpm), but midrange is now like the old 3SGTE. Rev limit is set to 7700, doesnt seam to drop off power, but havent had time for much testing.

OK last night destroyed an R8 Ute that had no mufflers (they do 13.1-13.6?)

So took it to the drags today. First run I bagger 1st, then bagged 2nd, then POP intercooler pipe blew off.
    Took me 10mins and a bit of blood to get it back on, went for another run, 12.4 @ 111MPH
    Still not up to the 11.7@117 I squeezed out of the last engine with this turbo tho it was running 28psi and I am only running 21psi.
    Quick guess is 270hp at wheels (350hp at engine) on 98 octane

Next step, get that GT3071 and external gate and new manifold (get rid of the log). Then I might get 11.7@120MPH like the old motor with a 3071 (internal gate) @ 23psi did.

Liking the Advans, I can flatten 2nd on the street, couldnt do that with the Bridgestones

Got the GT3071 0.64 (int gate T25) on it now. Totally different to drive.
    More torque, more midrange, less top end. Could add more timing. Running around 25psi. It still boost spikes, so next step is external wastegate.

Going to take it to the drags next week. Its going in for diff straightining tomorow. (the diff housing warped from welding on the new mounts).

Defiantely a weapon, has scared me a couple of times.
    I had it vere off the road at 160+. took a lot of fighting to get it back, turns out both my strut top rubbers had torn out.

Loving the Advan AD08Rs on the rear, can flatten 2nd now! (once they warm up).

MX5 radiator is awsome, keeps it under 90 degrees (95 tops at drags)

Havent had time to get back to the drags, and the log manifold warped again, so I bought a 12mm thick steel plate (rectangle not contoured) so I will make a stronger, better flowing manifold.

Latest pic with MX5 radiator and GT3071r

*Update*
    New 0.63 T3 GTX3071 and 38mm External Gate fitted on new manifold and dump pipe. Pics and more info soon.

Pics (manifold not wrapped yet)

Car will be for sale once re-tuned.

New battery under passengers seat.

ethanol sniffing Backyard Mechanic adamaw11's Avatar

Just caught up with the story here. Awesome build!
    You expecting easy 11s when tuned with this turbo?
    http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=83259
    '88 A.D.M aw11 '98 4age 20v blacktop
    NA: 14.745@150kmh at willowbank. On E85 with 6psi boost: 13.573@165kmh. ~8psi: 13.187 @169.9kmh. >10psi: 12.9 rod fragments @ 174mm holes in block
    daily: '93 ae101 Levin coupe. Motorbike: '09 Suzuki GSR600: 12.358@179kmh at Willowbank