Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3TC Twin Carbs Manifold Hitting Distributor

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Default 3TC Twin Carbs Manifold Hitting Distributor

I'm installing twin Dellorto carbs on my 3TC but I've come across a problem with the distributor hitting the manifold:

At first the distributor cap clip was in the way so I filed a bit off the Redline manifold and was able to installed it flat against the cylinder head, but now the octane selector on the distributor is in the way. The timing is currently set at 10 degrees.

The distributor has just been rebuilt and has been recurved for the camshaft so I don't want to change it. Don't really want to file the Dellorto.

What have people done to get around this? What's the best option?

I found one trick is to rotate the distributor 180 degrees and change the firing order:

http://www.rmcarburetors.net/typical__installations.htm

Then another option is to turn the oil pump slot:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.p...t=0#msg_744644

Im to handsome to be a Domestic Engineer ctrain's Avatar

Default Re: 3TC Twin Carbs Manifold Hitting Distributor

dont change it if its been recurved, just cut out a section on that edge, you can cut from the edge down to the whole so its missing a section, old holden red motors have the same design

EDIT: ignore what i said, at first glimpse i thought the was the join from manifold to head, not carby to manifold.
    Last edited by ctrain; 10-03-2014 at 03:47 PM.

TA22 Junkie Backyard Mechanic Silly Rabbit's Avatar

Hmmm.....i have the same redline manifold and I just ground away the side of it to allow for clearance, didn't have to touch the carb. Yours looks to be well in the way though. You may have to look at turning the dizzy 180 degrees as I can't see an easy way to get out of this. Good luck.
    “From the five years, 1968-73, if you were an F1 driver at that time, there was a very likely chance that you would have died.”
    - Jackie Stewart
    (now that's my type of racing )

2sc Breaker!!!! Backyard Mechanic bmxer54's Avatar

i also had problems with the redline 18rg manifold, it was too short meaning that the linkage mounts would interfere with the underside of the head, i got around this using extra long head studs and a gasket shaped spacer made out of 16mm alloy plate, If that would work for you, i hope it can. Good luck.
    My Rides:
    1x Brown St141 corona csx. powered by a gen 2 3sge, 1x RT142 turbo 1UZ, cd009 and G series, 1x Gj Sigma Scorpion injected and turbo'd, 1x KE30 2TG, w58 and F truetrac, 1x RT104 18RG, w58 and F truetrac

Traditionalist Domestic Engineer parrot's Avatar

Could you get around it by sourcing a 2TG dizzy? I think they are taller? If so, bit of a bummer to find out after rebuilding yours, but sure you could sell it on easily enough.
    Cam mountain I feel different from the ordinary

Junior Member Domestic Engineer Hurricane's Avatar

Some options off the top of my head would be:
    to space the manifold out at the head flange with a spacer plate and longer studs.
    Space the carbys out and also run soft mounts
    Use a 2tg dizzy as there taller and i beleave (but look into it first) that you could swap the guts over onto the longer shaft.
    Cut the manifold runners off and have them reangled or made longer to space it out.
    mount the dizzy in another position.
    remove the fine adjuster knob.
    not even run vac advance and use the mechanical only as its been recurved?

the dizzy can be mounted at any point really as long as you correct the firing order.
    the oil pump slot can also be at any point it fits as the pump is not timed to anything.

dan,
    * 84 FJ60 - 37's, 308, 80 series coils/diffs and LS1TT in the makin
    * 73 KE26 - x4 Brown Wagz
    * 73 KE20 NOW 3T-TE
    * 84 KE70 Panno
    * MX83 LS1 Track Car

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Ashh's Avatar

Had the exact same problem.
    Redline manifolds are crap. (my experience: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...819&highlight=)

I just ended up making a manifold that fits. I've still got it somewhere if you're interested?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

sucks it doesnt fit
    There is no listing for 3tc redline manifold only 2t ad 2tg manifolds so some modifications to fit it to a 3tc engine/distributor would be considered normal

Quote Originally Posted by Ashh View Post
    Had the exact same problem.
    Redline manifolds are crap. (my experience: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...819&highlight=)

I just ended up making a manifold that fits. I've still got it somewhere if you're interested?
    so because you had to grind a little away to get it to fit you are now telling people not to deal with the company that sold it to you then
    saying redline manifolds are crap?

effectively trying to boycott two small Australian businesses without addressing the problem properly,
    by contacting the manufacturer showing photos of the problem so it can looked into or others warned of this problem future before purchases?

not sure how this helps anyone else

maybe a better way to go about things ashh,

seems to be some good help here fortunately

I did send pictures back to the vendor, along with the manifold, said it didn't fit, told them exactly why (I've already mentioned I sent pictures of it not fitting). And then I was told that I can't return it because I took it out of the box and that it has to fit because they've never ever had a problem with any other one etc. etc. It was dealt with poorely.

In my experience, if a company says "This manifold fits a 2T engine", and then it doesn't fit a 2T engine. Then yes. It's crap. It wasn't advertised as "This is a universal manifold that fits older toyota T series motors and usually requires some modifications for individual fitment". No. They clearly stated that it would fit a 2T/3T motor. That's it. Purposely designed for ONE thing and it did not fit that one thing. Therefore it is a complete failure as it's SOLE purpose was to fit and it didn't.

So yes. I'll say it again, redline manifolds are crap.

The fact that my friend and I made a manifold out of an old aluminium sign and some pipe, from scratch, in a couple hours that DID fit just further drives home the point of how shit they have to be. They actually went through the process of sand casting something that they didn't even check beforehand.

Also my engine was a 2T. It was listed to fit a 2T. It did not fit a 2T.

Anyway: sorry to hijack the thread.
    Last edited by Ashh; 21-03-2014 at 12:00 PM.

Junior Member Grease Monkey styler's Avatar

There are a couple of different dizzys to suit the t series of motors, I will see if I can remember the specifics
    and pics to suit... One common issue is fouling on the manifold which is often resolved by clocking the dizzy
    so the housing doesnt interfere at the desired timing range, also helped by deleting the vac advance when
    recurving the dizzy and fitting a plug in the hole. The manifolds also differ as well as the aftermarket versions,
    heres a link with some info.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic...zy-how-to-fix/

it would designed to fit a 2t engine with what ever distributor was on it at the time of manufacturing

during manufacturing toyota can change parts of the same model/engine in a car like a distributor as they end production on that model part and change to a newer/updated part
    meaning there can be different variations.

so if the redline manifold was made before these changes to the distributors then i can see where the problem can come from.
    it still fits the engine just unlucky it doesnt fit with that distributor.

doesnt make it the right thing to do calling them crap because you had a distirubtor that it didnt fit with
    yes they should have mentioned this before hand to provide a better service

can anyone confirm there is standard 2t and 3t engine/distributors that fit fine with the redline manifold?

by the way most redline manifolds are designed by borgwarner/warneford and redline later bought the patterns ect of them

also sorry for the thread highjack
    Last edited by Indelible; 21-03-2014 at 01:19 PM.

I agree, but after doing a couple of google searches it became apparent that a LOT of people had trouble with their Redline manifolds and simply resorted to "grinding a chunk out of them".
    So I wasn't an isolated case. This thread is another example of the exact fitment problem I had. Coincidence? I don't think so, there's a common factor and that's the redline manifold.

Just trying to call a spade a spade here. Their manifold doesn't fit without it being modified/possibly reclocking the distributor. So it's not a good manifold.

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

brucey, the guts of your dizzy has been calibrated to your requirements. But the body is just that a body. (Vacuum advance and centrifugal advance mechanisms all hang off that rotatable centre plate) Transfer the guts over to a taller body, should take all of 30 minutes including re timing to the engine.

As a note, for the amateur tuner, any cam lobe can be used as number1 and the engine timed to that lobe. All that is required is a similar movement of the plug leads in the dizzy cap. Great to make a note of the fact that it is not factory specified to save a few people scratching their heads down the track.

cheers Chuck.
    "What man can build, man can fix!"
    MS51Crown Coupe,
    GSV40R Aurion luxo tourer. One TA22 currently receiving some TLC prior to paint One RS56 Crown ute under construction, 2 x TA22's awaiting rebuilds. Toyota Crown RS47J ute in need of serious TLC. Toyota Crown Custom Wagon MS53 daily hauler stocko!

founds this not sure if it helps much but if the shaft ect can be changed over it may be a usefull link

http://www.86garage.com/forums/viewt...=479&start=105

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by parrot View Post
    Could you get around it by sourcing a 2TG dizzy? I think they are taller? If so, bit of a bummer to find out after rebuilding yours, but sure you could sell it on easily enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by styler View Post
    There are a couple of different dizzys to suit the t series of motors, I will see if I can remember the specifics
    and pics to suit... One common issue is fouling on the manifold which is often resolved by clocking the dizzy
    so the housing doesnt interfere at the desired timing range, also helped by deleting the vac advance when
    recurving the dizzy and fitting a plug in the hole. The manifolds also differ as well as the aftermarket versions,
    heres a link with some info.

http://www.rollaclub.com/board/topic...zy-how-to-fix/
    Quote Originally Posted by "Z" UTE View Post
    brucey, the guts of your dizzy has been calibrated to your requirements. But the body is just that a body. (Vacuum advance and centrifugal advance mechanisms all hang off that rotatable centre plate) Transfer the guts over to a taller body, should take all of 30 minutes including re timing to the engine.

As a note, for the amateur tuner, any cam lobe can be used as number1 and the engine timed to that lobe. All that is required is a similar movement of the plug leads in the dizzy cap. Great to make a note of the fact that it is not factory specified to save a few people scratching their heads down the track.

cheers Chuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxer54 View Post
    i also had problems with the redline 18rg manifold, it was too short meaning that the linkage mounts would interfere with the underside of the head, i got around this using extra long head studs and a gasket shaped spacer made out of 16mm alloy plate, If that would work for you, i hope it can. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly Rabbit View Post
    Hmmm.....i have the same redline manifold and I just ground away the side of it to allow for clearance, didn't have to touch the carb. Yours looks to be well in the way though. You may have to look at turning the dizzy 180 degrees as I can't see an easy way to get out of this. Good luck.

Thanks guys for your suggestions. Might have a look into a taller 2tg distributor. I sent my 2tc distributor away to Performance Ignition Services to get it recurved (change the springs), but they ended up doing an overhaul, cost over $250, they reckon the bush needed to be replace. I could swap most of the components into the 2tg distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurricane View Post
    Some options off the top of my head would be:
    to space the manifold out at the head flange with a spacer plate and longer studs.
    Space the carbys out and also run soft mounts
    Use a 2tg dizzy as there taller and i beleave (but look into it first) that you could swap the guts over onto the longer shaft.
    Cut the manifold runners off and have them reangled or made longer to space it out.
    mount the dizzy in another position.
    remove the fine adjuster knob.
    not even run vac advance and use the mechanical only as its been recurved?

the dizzy can be mounted at any point really as long as you correct the firing order.
    the oil pump slot can also be at any point it fits as the pump is not timed to anything.

dan,
    first I'll try rotating the oil pump slot to something like 30 degrees clockwise from the factory setting. Then the distributor body can be moved to clear the manifold. Then adjust the firing order. It's mainly the distributor cap clip and octane selector that's getting in the way.