Thread: Cracked head in my mx83, what to swap it with??

Forum Member

Default Cracked head in my mx83, what to swap it with??

Hey guys,
    So I'm a green P plater and have an mx83 for a daily and found out today that I either have a cracked head or blown gasket(typical) I'm a bit reluctant to replace with another 7mge as I was planning on a 1j conversion when I had my fulls but now this has happened So I need to make a decision as to what to do! Is it ridiculous to put a non turbo 1j and then turbo it later on!? And how much will this cost me? Sorry for the lack of knowledge
    Last edited by Jaxx8; 12-09-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: Cracked head in my mx83, what to swap it with??

How long before you are on your full licence ? & what's the body like on your MX83, as in most cases its cheaper to buy one already converted, depends on wether you go Auto or manual & wether you do the conversion or pay someone to do it ? & getting it engineered too, if you are paying a Workshop to do the Work I would think allow at least $10,000 ?? including the motor & Auto .. I have seen bills upwards of $16,000 though, which is WAY to much in my opinion ..

Forum Member

i still have a year! the body and interior is mint as was the engine, the head cracked due to the thermo stat not opening up and engine overheated! i have been quoted from a guy full conversion with auto transmission $4500 how much does engineering set u back most of the time? and what needs to be upgraded?

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

I would do the usual 1JZ conversion, $3k will get you a motor, box, fuel pump and all the other shit you need to get it done if you can do the work yourself over a few weekends.
    $4500 for a drop and plug in conversion sounds half decent if your not capable of sorting out the nitty gritty, anyone can bolt on mounts and drop a motor in yet not many can wire up a different engine. Engineering is pretty easy for a MX83, find someone who has done one before and you will be sweet. R33GTST brakes and a tidy conversion will be all you need.

As for P plates, fuck em, I never had them on as they only existed to highlight you to the HWP. My driving style didn't change when I got my full license lol
    Chances of getting pulled in a stock looking Cressida are fuck all unless your painting lines down the road or hauling arse, yet to be questioned in mine and I've been through a heap of RBT's, doesn't even register. Just dont be caught being or acting like a cock and you will be right, go easy on the gay stickers too.

Forum Member

love your way of thinking man lol thanks for the advice