Thread: 2jzgte vibration at high revs

Im a hopeless Domestic Engineer

Default 2jzgte vibration at high revs

Hi guys,

Something that has been bothering me. my 2jz is not as smooth at high revs as it should be. ive been in other 1jz cars and they are silky smooth but my motor is not.

At aprox 5,000rpm it has a vibration like a balancing issue. Kind of like what you might get with a 4cyl except a little stronger. its definately not a missfire. the crank dampener is factory and not damaged. i put a new clutch on about 10,000km ago so its unlikely to be a clutch balancing issue. the motor has a bit over 100,000km on it and the sump has never been off.

I dont mind buying a new dampener like a ati or ross etc. but being a apprentice mechanic im not rolling in cash.

could be flywheel balancing but the last guy never mentioned any issues. flywheel is a stock 2jzge.

anyone experienced anything simerlar?

Nothing but a filthy Conversion King CELICASUPRA7M's Avatar

Default Re: 2jzgte vibration at high revs

does it do it free reving? or only in gear under load?
    could be drive line related
    1983 Toyota Celica Supra

Free revving. cant notice it as much under load.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

When did you notice it & what are the engine mounts like & what sort of car is it in, ( engine mounts should feel worse under load though ) next step i would be thinking is clutch ( i have had bad clutches before but you feel it as soon as you start the car up after fitting it ) or flywheel as you said & or the Harmonic balancer, is it still there if you depress the clutch & free rev it ..

It might not be an easy one to pinpoint & send you in the right direction, so you might just have to start changing things out or if its not to bad just put up with it ..
    Last edited by lexsmaz; 26-03-2013 at 02:09 AM.

Engine mounts are jza80 vvti new factory mounts (aprox 30k old) they are a little stiffer then the regular rubber. im sure thats not the issue. its in a mx83.

Its mostly free revving when you can feel and hear it. I replaced the clutch not long ago so its unlikely to be that as its was the same before and after.

Has anyone had a shagged crank harmonic dampener? If so what where the symptoms?

Another mechanic at work thought it was exhaust revirberation. The rear mount was metal to metal and not insulated. i heated the hanger and moved to so it has clearance. im not sure its changed it much. i do have a solid moubt onto the gearbox on the dump pipe but a lot of cars have one here.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

I would go with the harmonic balancer. Sounds like you have a harmonic problem occurring doesn't it? My brothers let go with no warning at all and your engine is at the right age that it would need replacing. Get a factory Toyota one from NZ they're MUCH cheaper according to Ivandude in his thread.

Its been like it for a very long time. Genuine ones seem to be around $300. Looking at a Ati one which can be 'rebuilt' with $20 worth of o-rings.

Only problem with the ati is that they seem to be over driven for acc pulleyes. the ross item is a couple hundred more. Have been reading many threads on other forums, nothing bad about ati, fluidampr not so much.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Have you checked you compressions?

Additionally, you have replaced your clutch? 2Js have a two peice cusioned flywheel dont they?

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Does it rev upto full redline limit I know some 2js have a soft rev limiter if somthing is not right mine I had an issue that the rev limiter would change randomly and make it vibrate also with harmonic balencer you can put paint pen along it to see if its twisting my aristo one fell off on me it made a horible groaning noise when turning and I thought it was powersteering pump but was rubber slipping then would grip and be fine till it fell off you can load it up to check by turning hard lock and put ac on if u have it
    1984 MA61 12.8sec qtr at 180km/h so far

Compression is good.

Do your mean a duel mass flywheel? Not sure but im using a n/a 2jzge w58 flywheel, replaced the clutch 10~15k ago. was the same before and after. the exedy clutch (as most would be) are balanced out of the box. duel mass flywheels dont have any effect on engine smoothness, its only to aid on take off as i understand. really only needed on diesel engines.

revs all the way to 6800 free revving and underload. i believe the soft cut limiter becomes a issue when the TC gear is disconnected. mine is still all there but inop as these no speed signal imputs.

i havent actually had a good look at the factory balancer but im lead to believe these also another rubber ring, not just the one on the acc belt drive.

i priced a new factory pulley last night and got quite a pleasent surprise. might be the go over a ati one. the ati are over driven which i dont really want. the ross ones are uber exxy.

Forum Member

Quote Originally Posted by Shakotan_Aaron View Post
    Compression is good.

Do your mean a duel mass flywheel? Not sure but im using a n/a 2jzge w58 flywheel, replaced the clutch 10~15k ago. was the same before and after. the exedy clutch (as most would be) are balanced out of the box. duel mass flywheels dont have any effect on engine smoothness, its only to aid on take off as i understand. really only needed on diesel engines.

revs all the way to 6800 free revving and underload. i believe the soft cut limiter becomes a issue when the TC gear is disconnected. mine is still all there but inop as these no speed signal imputs.

i havent actually had a good look at the factory balancer but im lead to believe these also another rubber ring, not just the one on the acc belt drive.

i priced a new factory pulley last night and got quite a pleasent surprise. might be the go over a ati one. the ati are over driven which i dont really want. the ross ones are uber exxy.
    . Bringing this old thread back up. Did you ever find out the problem I just bought a stock twin turbo six speed supra. Mine does the same thing. Revs in neutral no load on drivetrain and it shakes also. Just around 5 k rpm.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you ever find out what was wrong. My supra is doing the same thing. Thanks