Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Charcoal canister lines

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Charcoal canister lines

Charcoal canister from a 1991 JZZ30 Soarer can anyone help with wherw these conections lead to ?
    I beleive the small one (without hose attached) on the top and marked with "A" is vacum line, where do the other 2 go I'm guessing one goes to vapour line back to fuel tank and the other feed into engine? which is which?
    Cheers

Default Re: Charcoal canister lines

ok 20 + people have looked at this thread and no replies. Doesn;t anyone own a 91 JZZ30 Soarer that could open their bonet and tell me where the lines go????

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia infotechplus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rogue-vl
    Charcoal canister from a 1991 JZZ30 Soarer can anyone help with wherw these conections lead to ?
    I beleive the small one (without hose attached) on the top and marked with "A" is vacum line, where do the other 2 go I'm guessing one goes to vapour line back to fuel tank and the other feed into engine? which is which?
    Cheers
    Does this help? Disregard the yellow arrow for the time being.

What you have said is correct. One pipe goes back to the fuel tank and the other is connected to the engine. The vacuum line is used to suck fuel vapor out of the canister. The fuel tank vent would be the larger pipe.

A simple explanation: As the fuel in the tank evaporates, pressure builds up (because it is a sealed system via the petrol cap). When it reaches a certain value the charcoal canister opens allowing vapors into the canister where they are absorbed. Vapors stay in the canister until the engine warms up and then they are sucked into the engine for combustion. So there should be three openings.

More info here

Cheers,

Peter
    Last edited by infotechplus; 19-04-2007 at 06:14 AM. Reason: Correction
    OMG - Winner of the Official "Forum Comment of the Week"!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

just check that the small port off the cannister is one way (e.g. can't blow back into cannister) and then connect it up to a vacuum port on the inlet manifold. If it does blow back, find another EFI cannister that does.

Port should allow engine intake vacuum to inhale gaseous contents of the cannister to enter engien only when it is under medium to high vacuum. The port also allows the tank to suck air from the inlet manifold back to the tank as the tank cools down - sometimes it makes a weird buzzing sound after the car has sat and cooled down for .a while
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

ok i need to explain myself a little bit better, in the 2nd photo you can the two ports on the top of the canister, the small one being the vacum port, there is also another hose conected to the bottom of the canister with a one way valve with larger diameter hose as sceene in this photo, is the top connection feed to the fuel tank? where does the the from the bottom of the canister go? photos would be great

ok i need to explain myself a little bit better, in the 2nd photo you can the two ports on the top of the canister, the small one being the vacum port, there is also another hose conected to the bottom of the canister with a one way valve with larger diameter hose as sceene in this photo, is the top connection feed to the fuel tank? where does the the from the bottom of the canister go? photos would be great
    OK. That yellowed plastic connector will be a one-way valve and you can check it's operation by taking it off, (give it a clean), and then blowing into it. Air should only travel one way. I'd suggest it's going to go from the canister but not back into it. so it will be a vent.

The large hose attached to the vent on the top of the canister will go to your fuel tank and the smaller one will be vacuum and will go to the engine (probably where the photo I posted goes).

To confirm I'll check the canister on my Lux and see if it has a similar marking "A" on it. I'm not sure as the canister I'm using (which is the original 22R canister) has where the lines go clearly marked on it eg. To Engine or To Fuel Tank.

I'll check for you when I get home.

Cheers,

Peter

Thanks Peter, your correct about the yellow plastic conector is a one way valve which will allow air to pass into it but cannot be sucked back through, I am unsure of the purpose as it connects to the "drain" at the bottom of the cannister , as you blow into it the air escapes out the drain, if you block of the drain then the air escape via the vacum connection, so what would it be venting?

the 'drain' usually vents into the chassis rail below the cannister - don't block it up as it's kind of important.

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Just to further clarify the Yellow arrow is NOT the correct place to put the vacuum reference line on a 1G or any other engine. You need to use the timed open port not a constant vacuum port from the plenum.

The timed open port is typically located on the top of the throttle body as your charcoal canister should not see vacuum at idle or closed throttle.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by infotechplus
    Does this help? Disregard the yellow arrow for the time being.

What you have said is correct. One pipe goes back to the fuel tank and the other is connected to the engine. The vacuum line is used to suck fuel vapor out of the canister. The fuel tank vent would be the larger pipe.

A simple explanation: As the fuel in the tank evaporates, pressure builds up (because it is a sealed system via the petrol cap). When it reaches a certain value the charcoal canister opens allowing vapors into the canister where they are absorbed. Vapors stay in the canister until the engine warms up and then they are sucked into the engine for combustion. So there should be three openings.

More info here

Cheers,

Peter
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75
    Just to further clarify the Yellow arrow is NOT the correct place to put the vacuum reference line on a 1G or any other engine. You need to use the timed open port not a constant vacuum port from the plenum.

The timed open port is typically located on the top of the throttle body as your charcoal canister should not see vacuum at idle or closed throttle.

Hope that helps.
    Toyman75, re-read infotechplus's post, he does say to ignore the yellow arrow in the pic and if you look at the pic you can see the vac feed fo the canister is running over the middle of the pelnum

still no one can help with where the line that runs to the bottom of the canister comes from?

still no one can help with where the line that runs to the bottom of the canister comes from?
    The line running out of the bottom of the canister is a vent; it goes nowhere. On my Lux it has a small section of hose on it that runs under the chassis rail.

You only need to run the two top vents as aoutlined above.

Is that what you are asking?

Cheers,

Peter

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic manny's Avatar

rogue-vl, top port comes in from the fuel tank and bottom port vents out through pipe running in the passenger guard to an outlet midway across the main crossmember as in the pic below.

GSE20 IS250 - daily
    UZZ30 Soarer - 1UZ-FE/R154/Adaptronic - trackday roughie
    UZZ32 Soarer - Active Hydropneumatic Suspension (A-SUS) & Active Four Wheel Steering (A-4WS) - cruiser

so why is there a 1 way valve?

to stop boost entering the cannister and pressuring that box and the fuel tank.