Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Changes to Toymods Car Club Membership

busy adding lightness Too Much Toyota MR22ZZ's Avatar

Default Re: Changes to Toymods Car Club Membership

Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas View Post
    the online membership payment IS a huge leap forwards
    well done boys

(pity i'm now even further away from Castle hill at least you won7t need to see my wrinkly face often LOL )
    lol, the AGM was one of the trips I used to make up from Wollongong every year, stop being soft.
    I'll be there for sure this year since it's only 10 minutes away from me now...

...and paid...

...and yeah, those bloody adds, I've never seen them before as I've always been a paid member since they were in place. Please lose them ASAP.

EDIT: also note to the board, change of address details should be with the paypal payment... I forgot to forward a pm to Kirsty when we moved... d'oh

Cheers
    Last edited by MR22ZZ; 30-01-2013 at 10:04 PM.
    Past Toyotas - Snow White (TA23), Blue Stivo (ZZE123)
    Current Toyotas - Hamster (AW11)
    Quote Originally Posted by X kyle X View Post
    the aw11 is rougher and more angular so it's sex Appel is more that of Sylvester stalone rather then brad pitt

Toymods Events Secretary Too Much Toyota trdee's Avatar

farken, run for the board again this year since you live so close then dylan, we need the numbers, and I need another AW11 owner to back me up on the board, I'm all cold and alone

had a fair few applications come through tonight already, tis a good sign i guess
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by Rex_Kelway View Post
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....
    Quote Originally Posted by JustenGT8 View Post
    Mono blocs mate....as close to yours as a Ferrari is to a Fiesta

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

i'll try to make it to the AGM... meals were good last time
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    farken, run for the board again this year since you live so close then dylan, we need the numbers, and I need another AW11 owner to back me up on the board, I'm all cold and alone

had a fair few applications come through tonight already, tis a good sign i guess
    Another year on the Board and you'll own a Classic Celica (that has a fixed steering wheel & no combustion issues)
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

I've only read this first pages, of which this is the last post.

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    You cant have one but not the other, its a balancing act. 'You have to get someone inside the shop before you can sell them something'

Toymods has two problems:

1. Memberships are dwindling, nobody goes to track days or events.
    2. Revenue also dwindling, not at critical level but you cant run events to try attract existing and potential members on hopes and dreams.

The first problem is a difficult one, the demographic just is not there any more, we need new members who are interested and keen.
    The second one, not so much. Get River's woman to flash her tits and make a calender? Get some shit off your sponsors and raffle it off? Flog merchandise?
    dneg's first point is the main reason I dropped off the board, not many people including most of the board didn't come to events, since I stopped being cruise dude there hasn't been many events.. The events that have been organised or heavily backed by the board are few and far between and have targeted a certain demographic of people. However that demographic isn't enough to keep the club alive, "the club" meaning the board. If you attract people to events they like doing hopefully they will want it to continue and join the board and keep it all going. For the club to survive in my opinion some other events to be done, mainly cruises to attract a younger audience that can contribute to the club, the Club almost ends up with two sides, one that like Shows etc and the other that like cruises, however both have a common like of Toyota.

My 2c

I hope that reads how it sounds in my head, I've been thinking about how to get more people to events for years...

Will I pay my $30 a year, sure I will. I couldn't of built my car without toymods and wouldn't have the many car friends I do have. I want to see the club and the forums continue in whatever form. I put alot of time into making it happen a few years ago. I just hope the big events still happen and was very disappointed that Mega Cruise wasn't run this year...
    Last edited by TheStitt; 31-01-2013 at 10:42 AM.
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

$30 = win. Is CAMS affiliation an option? I joined SSCC last year because Toymods wasn't CAMS affiliated. Happy to pay more for that, SSCC was $60 or $70. Will do both @ $30 Toymods though, well done.

nah we dont have cams affiliation as it restricts what we can do regarding social meetups and cruises and stuff. I'm a member of the ARDC for the same reason, so I can get my L2S...

stitty; I hear you. last year we dropped the ball a bit with the events, we just weren't organised enough and a lot of people had much less time to give to the running of the club and organising events. This year we will hopefully be on top of the events a lot better, and myself personally I want to see that we make toyotafest a massive event, with more than just the car show happening, especially as it's the 10th anniversary of toyotafest this year....
    1988 AW11 9A-GTE - Turbo Missile | 2004 Elise K20A - N/A Screamer | 1984 MA61 1JZ-GTE - 80s cruiser
    .....and the within first laps everything that made the AW11 great hit Rex as if the 'Gods of driving fun' had all Jizzed on his face.....

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Sent some money though Paypal. Much better way of paying!
    Been meaning to join for a while but never really had the time or the right car to come to the events to make it worthwhile.

Hopefully some better events are on this year, I'm still happy to donate some prizes to one of the Dyno days whenever it happens.
    Still kinda cut that non-paying members won't be able to post in non-car discussion but we can't win them all. I'll miss their imput (whoever they may be).

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Feel free to make suggestions as to what you want to see in terms of events, the new board for 2013 will be outlining the years events in March.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic egamirrorim's Avatar

I'll be renewing my membership this year as I have let it lapse in the past, I simply forgot at the time.
    About 2 years ago there was a list of automotive businesses on the forum website that provided card carrying Toymods members with discounts on parts and services. Seeing as they're not listed on the forum I'm not sure if these discounts still apply, but if they are still in place then I believe this would be an attractive reason for interstate forum members to become financial club members - from memory, at least 2 of the businesses offering discounts were nation wide parts suppliers whose discounts more than paid for club membership after only a few items had been purchased.

I think dneg and Stitt raised some good points regarding events, there has to be a balance of attractive events for young and old car enthusiasts, what is missing is track days - Toymods doesnt organise one and when I asked the question a while back I was told that the board has no intention of organising one. I think the club is missing out on an attractive drawcard to prospective members here.
    Cruises are cool and I plan to attend more of the longer distance cruises when my beast is back on the road but I'm sorry to say that both times I've been to Mega Cruise have been... unexciting. Its cool seeing all the cars but I'm really not interested in sitting in traffic for close to 2 hours, not really a cruise - more of a crawl. The last time I attended I was the only classic celica!

If I had the time to spare I'd put my hand up to help the board, but with a new job and a new baby I just dont have the time right now. Maybe some day.

Mate, you seem to be channelling the board discussions of the last few days! Ill put my replies in your post so that I can make a good response to each point without it sounding rambling.

Quote Originally Posted by egamirrorim View Post
    I'll be renewing my membership this year as I have let it lapse in the past, I simply forgot at the time.
    About 2 years ago there was a list of automotive businesses on the forum website that provided card carrying Toymods members with discounts on parts and services. Seeing as they're not listed on the forum I'm not sure if these discounts still apply, but if they are still in place then I believe this would be an attractive reason for interstate forum members to become financial club members - from memory, at least 2 of the businesses offering discounts were nation wide parts suppliers whose discounts more than paid for club membership after only a few items had been purchased.
    We have been talking about this over the last few days, yes the discounts still apply, but everyone seems to have forgotten about them! The major ones are castle hill toyota, bursons blacktown, and B&R brakes castle hill. We will be putting these down on the back of your toymods membership card from now on, so it is very clear and easy to see where you can get your discounts from without having to check the club website etc. We have also decided to make a conscious effort to secure discounts for our members nationwide rather than just in NSW, so that we have more benefits available to our interstate members.

I think dneg and Stitt raised some good points regarding events, there has to be a balance of attractive events for young and old car enthusiasts, what is missing is track days - Toymods doesnt organise one and when I asked the question a while back I was told that the board has no intention of organising one. I think the club is missing out on an attractive drawcard to prospective members here.
    Organising trackdays is a bit of a SNAFU for us as we are not CAMS affilliated (because it then makes it near impossible to allow non-club members to come to meets and cruises due to insurance shenanigans). However, we have unofficially had regular trackdays for MANY years. Garth (-GT- on the forums) regularly reserves spots for toymods members at the MWSCC wakefield park trackdays, which are held roughly four times a year. There is always a thread in the cruises and events section regarding the next coming trackday. So even though we officially aren't organising the trackdays, the option is there for any toymodder to attend, so long as they get their name in before the spots fill up. I have also recently been in discussions with RENEW and trackdayclub and you can expect to see invitations to their trackdays coming up in the cruises section from here on in also, so track time for toymodders is definitely not limited! On a side note; I will also be doing my darndest to try and organise some driving events for toyotafest this year. A skidpan day and a drag day would probably be the easiest to do, but if there's enough interest I'll see if we can do a full blown trackday too.

Cruises are cool and I plan to attend more of the longer distance cruises when my beast is back on the road but I'm sorry to say that both times I've been to Mega Cruise have been... unexciting. Its cool seeing all the cars but I'm really not interested in sitting in traffic for close to 2 hours, not really a cruise - more of a crawl. The last time I attended I was the only classic celica!
    Megacruise is no more these days, and yes the last few years we have dropped the ball a bit on cruises. The best ones ive ever been on were the broke cruises, mac pass and jenolan caves. We are planning on doing a cruise to wollombi in march if I remember right, so come along to that one as there are some DAMN good roads out that way. But yeah in general we will try and lift our game on the cruises side this year. It is kinda depressing when you put in a shitload of effort to a cruise/event and the only people that turn up are board members and one or two other people though. So if you want to see cruises happen, then make sure you attend!

If I had the time to spare I'd put my hand up to help the board, but with a new job and a new baby I just dont have the time right now. Maybe some day.
    Totally understand, I got a new job midway through last year and went from having a shitload of free time with my old job to VERY little free time in my new one. I'm making this post at work right now actually, and probably wont be leaving for at least another hour We on the board do what we can in our spare time, which is also why people need to understand that we are all really busy living our own lives and when we are as understaffed as we are now it makes organising things even harder..
    So yeah, we have been listening to everyone's input, none of this is new to us. We have discussed all these issues at length over the last few board meetings, it's just that now we are finally getting the ball rolling and trying to put all of these ideas into action is all....

Celica Pilot Conversion King Gold28's Avatar

Regarding the cruises, mega cruise was getting way out of hand. Most of the attendees were not club members and some behaved very foolishly. The board got to the point where no one wanted to attend let alone organize it. On the other hand the 1 cruise we did organize was only attended by three board members.

We are looking at holding a whole range of social activities this year, like last year but there will only be a couple of cruises. Keep your eyes on the events section. Did you guys notice Vito has organised a photo shoot night for later this month?

Forum Contributor Domestic Engineer

Mate, you seem to be channelling the board discussions of the last few days! Ill put my replies in your post so that I can make a good response to each point without it sounding rambling.

So yeah, we have been listening to everyone's input, none of this is new to us. We have discussed all these issues at length over the last few board meetings, it's just that now we are finally getting the ball rolling and trying to put all of these ideas into action is all....
    I just paid my membership. A couple of things, further to my winge before. I'm still not exactly thrilled with having to become a member of a club, rather than just supporting it financially via proxy of the forum but hey, shit happens. It is sad / dissapointing / unfortunate that Toymods club is struggling for club numbers and people to contribute to the club - I can't help that in VIC, regardless of my payment.

The feeling of being pushed into a corner, with next to no notice or advanced warning is pretty well shit to be honest. Like you have said yourself, there is some 16000 forum members. Yes, we are non paying, and don't help out with the club. Prior to now, most of us didn't know that there was a major issue with the forum (ie, the club parent), let alone, anything that would be of major concern, requiring significant changes.
    I'm still sure that you could have presented the facts to the forum (even in basic detail) and along with club worked with its 16000+ members for a solution, that wouldn't leave a metric shitload of people with a bitter taste in their mouth, and feeling a bit trapped into coughing up dough in the next couple of days.
    Also, if you had have raised a few more points earlier, such as the club trying for more events and interstate sponsors, as well as providing some more time for people to come across - like a month rather than a couple of days, you would have had a much more positive initial response with people more happy to sign up straight off the bat.

Anyways, another paid up member here, not sure whether they should be happy about it or not, signing off.

---Edit---
    Also, in terms of events and general get togethers etc being a success, I think you should seriously look at the likes of the Cars / Coffee / Donuts format from the Vic Celica guys. Good turn outs, interesting venues, and a mix of get together, showing your car, and often a drive to or from the event. Great attendee numbers, and a lot of fun for anyone attending, regardless or car type or club affiliations.
    Last edited by boxh34d; 31-01-2013 at 07:52 PM.
    MA71 - 7MGTE - 340RWHP

Junior Member Too Much Toyota dnegative's Avatar

What does it cost to book WP for a day and do you need to be CAMS affiliated to do so?
    The MR2 club booked it for 2 days, gave you a garage there and tossed in accomadation for a night for $390 yet they also offered other options for those who just wanted to do a few laps or watch.

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

Fair call on Mega cruise. Some years did get a little loose. So have a few dyno days though... I've got to say towards then end of my cruise dude time, not even board members where showing to my cruises and without even counting mega cruise....

Cruise ideas:

Broke, Jenolan, Lost race tracks, Mac pass, Kiama, the Old southern hume hwy, Meet up over night with CCG and the south coast guys, Central coast with The Newie guys, Classic Celica, Springwood, Putty road, Old, Odd night city runs, Harry's Liverpool and city, the Zoo, The National park, Razorback Road, Some crazy road into Wollongong near Picton rd., Palm beach, Dobroyd, I’m sure I'll could come up with more. I’m happy to help and or suggest places/pubs (for feeds on cruises) to the new cruise dude.

I'd love to see some Toymods Interest in Shannon’s wheel Expo on March 17th this year and at Marques in the Park (November?), both in Canberra. People used to look surprised when "X" person didn't come up from Canberra for a Toyotafest, but we have only seen a few Sydney siders at Canberra events over the years.

It would be F**king awesome if Toymods backed Toyota Nationals again, Toymods was the dominate club up there for years but now there are more people from Canberra and Queensland then from Toymods, (Spoot kicked arse at the last two nats!!!) it sucks as its probably the biggest and best multiday event. Toyotafest is bigger in car numbers but it’s only a single day event... ( I see that Vito wants to expand toyotafest however it still won't have the same feel as Toynats, it never will)

Just a note: I found that I'd be on cruises and people would ask about board members and ask if their cars where coming as they wanted to see them. It’s also the cars that attract people to the events.

I realise how time sappy we all are and I understand what has to go on in the background. I think the board needs to get some cruises/events up soon and hold events at least 1 every 4-6 weeks, events that they all agree on, support and can attend, then give everyone lots of notice that the event is on. Then the board have to post that they are going. I think the first few events will be slow and not many people will show, It might even take all year. However I think if it continues and the board show at events then I think more club members will show at events and so on and so forth.

I’m not sure what changed a few years ago, whether it’s as someone else in this thread said; We can now go to the Supra forum, the AE and then FT 86 forums etc. These forums hold events too, so people have a multitude of events to choose from, fuel has gone way up in price, and to take the toy car for that long run now takes more of the family budget. People attitudes have changed too, back years ago people used to have that Sunday off work, or tell Grandma that they would see her for her birthday at night instead during the day as there was a cruise on. In the present years it seems more to be ah I've got nothing to do, ah there is a cruise on... Attending cruises used to be the priority it seems it’s not now.

I can understand that times change and people get older have kids, sell cars etc.. However I think the new members are in the same head space, there are not many new faces who have made cruising a priority.

I can't make sense of this and it has been bugging me for years....

up to 4c
    Last edited by TheStitt; 01-02-2013 at 07:26 AM.
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw