Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paying for membership

Village Idiot Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Paying for membership

Guys, do you have an "online" way of paying for membership rather than paying for it via cheque or money order.

This might sound a bit lame but some folks don't overly use these two methods of payment much anymore, perhaps a BSB and account number with putting a valid reference in might be a better way (put this detail on the membership form?)

Default Re: Paying for membership

i think it was mentioned once before that EFT is to hard to track which payment is for which membership, not 100% so wait and see what a club/board member says

Toymods Board Member Domestic Engineer Kirsty2520's Avatar

that about sums it up Wilo.
    it is to hard to track internet payments.
    Already people are complaining about the time it takes to process the membership packs. with the internet payments the board would have to wait till the bank statements came in to know who's is whos.
    RIP Nathan Dean. You Will be Missed.
    Life is like Chocolate..... without the bitter, the sweet means nothing.
    Fact of life...After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says W T F !!
    Never allow someone to be your priority while you are just their option

Toymods Club Member #302 Backyard Mechanic hi-ace's Avatar

If you did a search you would have found this in regards to your question.
    The Witzl, 04/12/05
    Answers:
    * No sorry, it becomes too difficult for our treasurer and membership secretary to match up payments to applications.
    Thank you, anytime, come again.
    If it feels good "DO IT" Unless it harms others.(or upsets the RTA)
    Enjoy what you have To Day,cause you can't take it with you.
    My old Hi-Ace

to whoever it was that gave me rep thanks

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

As covered above. It makes it extremely difficult to track who has paid etc if using electronic banking. I know it's a bit of an inconvenience to have to send a money order but it is a lot more hassle for the membership secretary if they have to try and keep track of exactly what is happening with the bank accounts.

As to rep being given to WiLo for answerring the question, I have to agree thanks for rewarding his work.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

curiously, is it possible to have a separate bank account set up specifically for membership purposes, rather than particular people's bank accounts.
    A business account for instance.
    then you could see on the statements via the internet, where the deposit came from, this could be matched to a specific email adress for membership monies, and once connected to the person, all would make sense...
    I was just thinking, i feel for the secretary as i don't know how hard it would be. i was just thinking when i was looking at this thread though how it could be easy through EFT.

Boobs!!! Automotive Encyclopaedia Stefan's Avatar

I would have thought it would be much more of a PITA for someone to physically have to process cheques/money orders than check a bank account online.

There could be strict rules on the transaction comment to be left, such as "([member id] + "renewal")", you could limit it to renewals only...

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

It is extrmely hard to have a usable paper trail to document what money went where when there is no paper involved.

The club has to make thorough financial reports each year to stay a registerred club and this is made a lot easier if we have paper work to show.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer

Joshstix, i am in no way attacking you for this comment so here goes...

In this day and age, where electronic is everything, many businesses and clubs must be getting by with proving their status without providing the actual paper trail, Although you could simply request a complete bank statement from whatever bank for a given period for a specific account, this would surely satisfy the need to provide proof of financial income for the club.
    Like i said i have no idea what is involved, i am just intreagued more than anything, and if you shoot me for not becoming a financial member there are reasons for that too (i feel unloved from you guys when i am here in SA ).
    Would it be an idea to seek out other clubs to find out how they provide their 'paper trail' for financial purposes...surely they don't all still use the ole cheque/money order system.....maybe they do....in which case why wont our damn society catch up to the 21t century?

the majority of clubs are probably either on a smaller scale without as many members so easier to trace payments to members, or they are the opposite and a larger scale with fulltime paid positions in relation to memberships etc. you have to remember that all the board members have jobs and lives aswell and shouldnt have to give up more of their time just so people can make EFT for membership payments, the time could be spent working on their cars etc.

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

I don't know of any businesses that give out membership & free stuff with that membership either.

One important fact to remember for this is that our Membership Officer (The Stitt) is not a signitory for our financial dealings.
    Only the club president & myself are to keep everything above board & to prevent any abuse of the club's finances.
    As the membrship officer is also the Merchandise officer, you can see why that person is not a signatory.

As the membership officer needs to know who's paid before issuing the merchandise that goes with the membership, the cheques/money order goes directly to him (in this case) & then onto me at the end of the month with a report.
    If there was some kind of direct deposit or similar, then someone else (mostly likely the treasurer as I'm the one with the internet banking details for the club) would have to verify that the funds have indeed arrived, make sure that they are from that person (people still don't put the correct details when doing a deposit for a donation despite it being spelled out quite clearly in that thread), then notify the membership officer.
    I'd also have to do a "transfer" of money to him otherwise his report when he gives money back to me doesn't balance.

If that's got you all confused, imagine having to do it & work through it & make sure there are no mistakes.
    Its just too much effort for volunteers, I'm afraid.

I hope you can understand this point of view. It has been discussed before and dismissed as an idea.

yes. i can understand (already a member of two other car clubs) and can understand how membership payments can get missed/lost/uncounted for due to the different things/ways things are processed.

please, no more debate on this. simply not doable in the short - medium term without a better lodgement method.

GW

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grega
    please, no more debate on this. simply not doable in the short - medium term without a better lodgement method.

GW
    like... people turning up to meetings?
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

hmm. bit far for me to go (1000+ km)