Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ta22 amateur power steering questions

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Ta22 amateur power steering questions

Hi guys before everyone starts ranting at me about the topic being covered already i been searching and havent found anything yet

First im going to say iv recently purchased a ta22 76 and im really happy with it and soon i will be back to post up a project in another post.
    My question is has anyone attempted and completed in getting the car to have powersteering? I know many of you have said pump up the tyres or have wiser tyres on the rear and skinnyer tyres on the front but these arent solutions.

My idea is this i know the power steering consist of:

Rack
    Pump
    Reservoir
    Ecu
    Fluid
    And those metal hoses which go around the wall of the car

So my question is if i had a celica gt4 st205 could i possibly remove all of those parts and transfer them over?
    In regards to the ecu option i plan to get a management system whilst doing an engine swap anyways.

If im changing over the rack does that mean i will need to use the hubs from the gt4? Or will it connect with the original on the ta22??

Really sorry about all these questions i just want to make things clear before i start collecting parts and for my mom to start shouting at me lol.

Many thanks

C

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Default Re: Ta22 amateur power steering questions

it's all about the steering geometry.

there is a long and detailed thread on putting rack and pinion steering in early celicas.
    you'd just need power steering version of the rack (and steering arm thingies?)

GT4 is no-go, everything is far too different. (afaik)

is this all to make steering lighter?
    if steering is too heavy you can either reduce castor on the front struts (and maybe camber if it has more than stock)
    or...
    do some exercise, eat well, and build up your strength
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Getting a steering rack in to a TA22 is not for the fainthearted! Lot's of work attached to doing it.

Once you have done that fitting power steering is relatively easy.....a couple of friends with Corolla's have used the Vauxhall Nova unit....one was on a steering rack the other was on a box!

You just need to cut the Celica column and weld in the nova bit and then join it up again.....that's the simplified version.

I have a TA22 and the steering box doesn't bother me at all.....initially I thought it would but no.
    However I would love to quicken the box up by fitting a gear inverter from the USA which gives about 2 1/2 turns lock to lock instead of 15 with the std box!!
    My pal with the corolla fitted one and it quickened it up but made it very heavy and that's why he fitted power steering.
    Have fun with your TA22 and welcome to the long nights of searching forums for advice and the internet for parts!!
    Good luck with your car!
    Brian

Hi thanks brian and old for the advice; i have you know that im going tothe gym alot and im actually quite good shape lol
    Anyways the nova idea seems pretty good too but im just unsure why im needing to use the vauxhall nova and not the gt4. Isnt it the same principle? Cut and weld? Im most likely wrong anyways lol.

Hmmm im more with what you said brian its definitely more to do with the amount of turns from lock to lock. I found this website from usa also which you can click the link and found the outer tie rods which they have customised using ae86 Steering knuckles. Brian and others here too please click and tell me what do you think?

https://technotoytuning.com/toyota/t...ds-ta22-celica

Hi Chi
    Firstly, the reason to use a Nova unit is because it's electric......no need for hoses/pumps etc. They are easily available and don't cost an arm and a leg even new. There will be countless others that do the job I'm sure.

Secondly, if you are really wanting to make the steering box quicker then you will have to use something that will gear the steering ratio up....so that a little turn at the wheel means more turn at the box.
    I can find out where to get the gear unit because my friend uses one but they aren't cheap!!
    And if you do fit one it WILL quicken the steering but I can guarantee you will not be able to move the wheels with an unpowered set up. It is UNBELIAVABLY stiff....two hands swinging on the wheel to move it an inch!! Hence the power steering unit needed. He cannot move his car without the engine running.....so you see it's not just a simple job when you need to do 3 things to achieve one.

I'm not sure what that link is showing....meaning......does it give you more lock or is the knuckle altered in length compare to a TA22 to quicken it up? I'm not familiar with AE86's even though my friend rallies one.

Back in the day when I rallied a TA22 i used a TRD quick steering box....and if you can find one of those for sale now I'll move in with you and be your next best friend!!

There is no easy way to alter a TA22 Celica to a quick rack but it can be done but in all honesty....getting the geometry right is for the experts and that costs!
    It's way beyond me! There are guys on here that have done it successfully and if you look around you will find info on it but these guys are seasoned Toyota guys and are well aware of not being able to get stuff off the shelf to achieve it. I would go as far to say that some of it is alchemy!

Good luck!

Toymods Club Member #194 Conversion King Lambolica's Avatar

Without going down the path of a full Rack & Pinion Conversion, you could look at using a powered steering box out of an MA45, RA40 (if they were available with P/S) or MX62, MX32?

Probably not a bolt in affair, but would be less work to make fit and doesn't bugger the factory steeing geometry... any more than it is.

Probably some work needed shortening the steering column, and locating the pitman arm correctly.

Cheers
    Simon
    Beige.... The new Black!!!

Many thanks brian some useful information there seems like the nova option is a no go for me as i feel the steering already is pretty poor. Damn i guess we could all do with that quick steering box. Hi lambolica i hear alot about everyone trying to do the rack and pinion change and in the end i ended up at a website called http://s-86.com/

The guys name is sam and i think he has some really good ideas but its a shame he doesnt have the orders in anymore so hes unable to make me the rack n pinion for my car
    Lambolica are you saying if i replaced the steering box with one of the mentioned above boxes it will shorten the steering lock to lock??

Hmmm why is this so hard?? And i thought my mazda 323 was hard geez

Many thanks brian some useful information there seems like the nova option is a no go for me as i feel the steering already is pretty poor. Damn i guess we could all do with that quick steering box. Hi lambolica i hear alot about everyone trying to do the rack and pinion change and in the end i ended up at a website called http://s-86.com/

The guys name is sam and i think he has some really good ideas but its a shame he doesnt have the orders in anymore so hes unable to make me the rack n pinion for my car
    Lambolica are you saying if i replaced the steering box with one of the mentioned above boxes it will shorten the steering lock to lock??

Hmmm why is this so hard?? And i thought my mazda 323 was hard geez

Junior Member Grease Monkey ta22fan's Avatar

Minor point - but the TA22 ended around Sept '75, so either you've got the year wrong or you've actually got a TA23 or RA23 - which are basically the same car in terms of body and suspension, but are both slightly different to the TA22. May not make a lot of difference to how you go about this tho.

Quote Originally Posted by ta22fan View Post
    Minor point - but the TA22 ended around Sept '75, so either you've got the year wrong or you've actually got a TA23 or RA23 - which are basically the same car in terms of body and suspension, but are both slightly different to the TA22. May not make a lot of difference to how you go about this tho.
    Hmmm...... my own TA22 is registered 02-Feb-76 and so I refer to my car as a 1976 TA22.......i'm sure that's the way that Chi is looking at it too.
    They might have changed production but there were still a lot out there waiting to be registered... and over here the car is dated when it is registered and not when it finished production.....hope that clears things up.

Hi guys agreed with brian and just had a look at my vehicle registration documents says here its a 1/6/1976 and the chasis/VIN is a TA22

THANK GOD!! Nearly pooed myself thought i brought the wrong model lol.

Anyways brian im going to send an email over to thoses guys in usa about the ae86 Steering knuckles and see what the advantages of having them installed and will let u know

Quote Originally Posted by Ta22_chi View Post
    Hi guys agreed with brian and just had a look at my vehicle registration documents says here its a 1/6/1976 and the chasis/VIN is a TA22

THANK GOD!! Nearly pooed myself thought i brought the wrong model lol.

Anyways brian im going to send an email over to thoses guys in usa about the ae86 Steering knuckles and see what the advantages of having them installed and will let u know

I can't actually remember when it changed to TA23 and I was actually working for Toyota then!!.....I did think it was 1976 but I could be wrong.

I looked long and hard for a TA22 because I am not a big fan of the TA23.....they tried to make it suit the American market.....mini Mustang.....and they killed the styling for me. Just personal taste.........

Let us all know about those steering knuckles......could be a great mod!
    Brian

Junior Member Grease Monkey ta22fan's Avatar

Useful reference here: http://members.iinet.net.au/~stepho/celprod.htm#cel1pr

I'm pretty sure that production of the TA22 ended in Sept 1975, but as you say - dealers would have had stock for sale for some months after that. If your chassis/VIN number is something around TA22-240000 (or higher), then you've got one of the last TA22s to come off the production line.

Quote Originally Posted by ta22fan View Post
    Useful reference here: http://members.iinet.net.au/~stepho/celprod.htm#cel1pr

I'm pretty sure that production of the TA22 ended in Sept 1975, but as you say - dealers would have had stock for sale for some months after that. If your chassis/VIN number is something around TA22-240000 (or higher), then you've got one of the last TA22s to come off the production line.

Hiya! TA22 250220 ! One of the last then! Cheers mate!

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

have you looked at the huge Toymods thread on putting rack and pinion into early celicas yet?

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=14102
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!