Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ta22 amateur power steering questions

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Ta22 amateur power steering questions

Hi Oldcorolla's........yes I've read through it and as I was gently trying to say to the OP that there is nothing just bolt on.......whatever route you take it's not easy! However I realize that with work anything can be done.

This is the best website on the planet for info on anything "old Toyota"......you guys have done it first...whatever that is.... it came from here!
    I've learned so much about upgrading TA22 brakes from here that I can now ask questions based on some knowledge...rather than " give me the easy way out" question.

I'm sticking around.......I will become educated!

Nothing but a Backyard Mechanic caam's Avatar

power steering into an early Celica will never be an amature job, my sugesstion, start smaller and learn more (through this site and your car)
    Then tackle it in a year or two, the time spent learning will make a huge difference, trust me.

For now eat your vegetables and steak - they are only light cars.
    SR20DET TA23

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by caam View Post
    power steering into an early Celica will never be an amature job, my sugesstion, start smaller and learn more (through this site and your car)
    Then tackle it in a year or two, the time spent learning will make a huge difference, trust me.

For now eat your vegetables and steak - they are only light cars.
    I agree! ( Read...read........and then read some more..........then Grasshopper will understand!

These cars are 40 year old and the "excitement" of aftermarket add on's has moved on to the next model........and the one after that.....
    Wise advice Caam...........

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BrianGT View Post
    Hi Oldcorolla's........yes I've read through it and as I was gently trying to say to the OP that there is nothing just bolt on
    I was directing the OP to that thread, not you
    R&P or any steering conversion, where that model did not have the option, is never easy.
    hopefully OP will have a read through that thread and realise the effort involved,
    vs decreasing castor, or increasing arm strength
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Sorry to be a bit blunt here but it sounds like your skill level is not all that high & to attempt to fit power steering to your Celica doing it your self you could end up with a very dangerous car or at least one that handles / steers like shit, as has been said there is a lot of factors involved in a front end & to try & attempt it your self without the skill or knowledge is not advisable in my books ..

I personally suggest to get used to the many turns lock to lock & at least the car will still be safe in that regard & will retain its value as opposed to some shit handling thing that has been played with, etc ..

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Whoa whoa fellas calm down all im saying is that i am an amateur when it comes to things like this as this isnt my field at all. I have people who are highly skilled with welding and fabricating items that arent original for me. My side of thing are building and putting the jigsaw puzzle together. If you want to drive the car the way it is then thats fine but i have you know i have put together 1 of the fastest 323fs in uk and have been spotted in banzai mag aswell. The only reason why im here is read up as much info as i can about the toyota as im facinated by the way the looks.

All i can say is dont judge people just because they ask for help and advice.
    Im simply a normal member here seeking out the best i can for this car because i feel it deserves to be reconised.

Thank you for understanding ^^

Old corolla cheers for that link will read up and see if i can conjure up anything, seems like the rack and pinion route is the only way to reduce the lock to lock.
    Brian i defo be interested in hearing about your brakes upgrade too but for now i will pursue the steering issue for now many thanks to all and i hate vegetables hahaha

surely you could get new gears made up for the celica steering box, but not easy and probably not cheap for the effort involved.
    an experienced gearcutter might be able to help there (is a recirculating ball and nut? you don't want low ratio worm and sector...)

for non-power rack, Quaife makes quickrack for the AE86, which will reduce lock to lock to something like 2.5 turns instead of 3.5-4?

another option is (as mentioned?) a steering column multiplier. afaik, these are commonly used in things like speedway cars (the ones with wings for roof).

those three options will make it heavy, but faster

if money is easy, then i'd be asking Quaife if they can make a quickrack for the AE86 power steering rack, then use the shorter AE86 power steering arms (still available new from toyota) and do a "normal" rack&pinion conversion.

rack and pinion conversion, , if done right, will be much better feel than any other options,
    Last edited by oldcorollas; 23-12-2012 at 06:11 AM.
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

Cheers old thats very useful info im just reading through the rack and pinion conversion thread but what you just said about the quaife ae86 rack i might buy that instead

the quiafe "rack" is just the internal bit.

there is no instead?? the quiafe quickrack gets put inside an AE86/KE70 steering rack, but you still need to convert the whole shebang to rack and pinion...
    ??

Thanks yeh just seen it now and it makes sense just need to
    Finish reading up that thread. Arent the aw11 and ae86 and ke70 racks all the same? It would seem this searching for racks will take some time considering those racks are quite hard to get a hold of already.

om nom nom Backyard Mechanic CheeseBiscuits's Avatar

Ke70 and AE86 are very similar if not the same iirc.

AW11 is different again iirc.

I have one of Sam Q's xmembers and KE70 racks in my celica. I'm yet to actually drive with it installed, so I have no idea how it'll perform in that sense. However everything seems to fit quite nicely, and from what he had advertised it should be the same angles as stock with a little extra camber.

If you have people that are willing to help put all your ideas together, I would be searching for An AE86 p/s rack and xmember, talk to Sam Q and see if he can forward you some CAD drawings of his changes to the x member and.. well start cutting and welding I suppose?

Or you could even look into making your own xmember to fit an AE86 p/s rack. a few guys in the US have done this... this one comes to mind:

source:
    Carys 1.5jzgte RA21
    http://www.1stgencelica.com/viewtopi...618&start=1500

Late post but I retro fitted a corsa c electric power sterring column to my ta22 at the start of the year. Works great and cost about $400 all up. Was able to do it in one weekend.

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by Dougieta22 View Post
    Late post but I retro fitted a corsa c electric power sterring column to my ta22 at the start of the year. Works great and cost about $400 all up. Was able to do it in one weekend.
    Do you have any photos of the setup? Does the steering feel like a modern car?

Quote Originally Posted by brucey View Post
    Do you have any photos of the setup? Does the steering feel like a modern car?
    It does have a different feel to a power steering rack but it is similar. I turned my down to the lowest setting because it felt funny when the steering was to easy. I cant figure out how to post photos but my email is [email protected] i would be happy to email them to you.