Thread: SOLVED 1jz-ge vvti, can't identify whistling sound source (faulty bearing/belt/etc)

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

Default SOLVED 1jz-ge vvti, can't identify whistling sound source (faulty bearing/belt/etc)

A while ago there was a bit of coolant leak so now I can see apparent traces of it on alternator, tensioner pulley, p/s pump to name a few.
    At the same time there's whistling sound coming from the front of the engine, similar to that of slipping belt or some bearing without grease. The problem is that I can't identify which part exactly makes the sound.

I tried listening to different parts with a stick (poor man's stethoscope), but the whistling seems to be a much higher frequency than a stick can pass. I also tried recording a video with phone camera (so the mic can be put very close to different hard to reach areas) with no success either.

As for the sound itself, it's most likely to appear for the first 1km of trip in the morning, and it can also appear after pushing the car hard. When I pull the acc belt off and rotate pulleys by hand, they all roll smoothly without any sound.

How do I identify which part whistles?
    Last edited by George; 11-08-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

Default Re: 1jz-ge vvti, whistling sound

p/s surely this topic is more for the tips and tricks thread, but I haven't yet found any good advice how to identify faulty bearing or judge if the sound is due to a bearing or slipping belt
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Default Re: 1jz-ge vvti, can't identify whistling sound source (faulty bearing/belt/etc)

Is the belt loose, or sound change with more/less tension?
    Use metal instead of wood or a hose.

Default Re: 1jz-ge vvti, can't identify whistling sound source (faulty bearing/belt/etc)

No the belt is not loose, and the sound doesn't change as I try to rotate the tensioner towards tighter position with a stick.
    Brilliant idea about a hose, +rep (edit: gave too much of reps today, so some next time). With this method I figured out that's most likely p/s pump or tensioner pulley. Tried spraying some WD between p/s pump and its pulley (wishing that a bit would get into its bearing) and the sound disappeared. Would see how it goes in the next several days, then most likely would replace the pump, I don't like it anyway )

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    ...spraying some WD between p/s pump and its pulley (wishing that a bit would get into its bearing) and the sound disappeared.
    Wish away, stuff will wash away smegma buildup from weep/seepage but little else, maybe even wash abrasive shit into the bearing, change its tone & soon fail completely.

Don't get tangled up in the belt/s & pulleys. Stick a piece of whatever into the TB's stop to raise the RPM & listen to the stuff again for a second opinion.

Is this a new noise or something you've just now fixated on? Changed since you first noticed it?

I don't care if the whistling thing fails soon as all I need is to find and replace it asap.
    Anyway the tone was there again this morning, had little time to deal with it, will try listening through a hose at different RPM after work, thanks for the two ideas.

p/s I didn't answer to the second part of your message. The noise is not new. Actually earlier it could appear without any chance to associate it with driving style/weather conditions/etc. In every case it would then disappear after the car stays for a while. At that moment I replaced tensioner pulley bearing since I heard many times they are one of JZ's weaknesses. That didn't change the situation much though. According to populer saying "every sound that worth addressing will eventually pop out" I decided to relax and wait (of course having a field repair kit handy - $50 and a piece of towing rope)

As for now, at least I have repeatable test conditions: every time I start cold engine the sound comes in after a minute of idling, and disappears in several minutes after.

btw my acc belt is only 2 yrs. old / 30.000km at best (Continental brand). I once heard an advice to put it off and then on in reverse direction and see if I can still hear the sound, but I can't regard this method as reliable.

p/p/s SOLVED it's exactly power steering pump. Tried silicone spray with thin pipe to make sure spray is put very locally. And it shut up almost instantly, so there can't be second opinion. Going to replace it very soon as I have ZF part which ensures silent operation (my car has steering machine, that's another story).

I liked the idea of using a hose as a "remote ear" very much
    Last edited by George; 11-08-2012 at 12:01 AM.

Default Re: SOLVED 1jz-ge vvti, can't identify whistling sound source (faulty bearing/belt/et

for bearings i use a long flat blade screwdriver as a stethoscope