Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 2AZFE into AE86

Ran a 14.397 @95MPH

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Not bad! Enough to beat a S2000

Been really enjoying this car. Put fresh brakes on it as I was having issues with runout on the old rotors it had, and when I pulled the brakes apart I had experienced pad failure, where one pad had bent and spilt the friction material into pices. I promptly found the limit of the fresh ra40 brakes after a long cruise on Bathurst Sunday. Its a great day to drive so few cars on the road and the ones I did see just pulled over and let the ae86 have its way.

After last dyno visit a few weeks back I had enough info to know we cant get air into the motor any faster with the inlet the way it is. I went to a longer trumpet and didn't pick up torque anywhere, so the tuner has inferred that the throttle size needed to be increased to get the ability to get the air in to make more power. We have the air moving as fast as it can with the silver-top itbs. They moved the peak torque up 800 rpm but still not enough airflow to capitalise on the top end of the engine after 5700. Peak torque and torque drop off are only about a 1000 revs apart, so that's a bit odd and also leads me to believe that the engine could hold on for longer with more air available.

Picked up a medium crashed 2003 Camry with 78000klms on the clock, full service history and cold ac. I plan to swap the motor and ac into the Sprinter, then do some work to the new motor that's currently in the car. I'm going to do some light port work. Maybe buff the chambers, clean up and smooth the port walls somewhat and deuburr them, and polish the exhaust ports. The compression will go to 11:1. There are a couple of casting marks in the head that could be removed along the sides of the inlet ports. I'm also going to 48mm throttles, and possibly upstream injection. My new itbs have provision for this. My ecu does not unless I revert to ms tuning, but I love ve. Im trying to see if I can get the peak torque high enough to sustain the torque curve higher into the rev range, at the moment, the torque begins to die off at about 5700 revs. I want it to carry on somewhere over 6200 to get a stronger top end. I feel the drop is a combination of the 43mm throttle and maybe the camshaft showing its limits, but I wonder how that will change with the bigger throttle. I'm finding this head is very trans-formative once you bin the crimp collector cat manifold and snail inlet manifold. SO before I consider the expense of cams I will put the thing together with the 48mm throttle and see how it performs, and from there decide if its worth the ecu change to use the upstream injection or if the cams are the priority. Been talking to kelford, but I probably cant afford their services for an exchange head so I might end up with a 239B grind at some stage, but it depends how the stock head goes with the 48mm butterfly really.

Still cannot stop working on this car.

I have rewired the headlights with the kit from custom mustangs on ebay. Its a great kit, fits perfectly and is made in japan. Way better than I even expected. So bright now too!

Also, had my dad staying for a few days so we've been tinkering, hes been helping me mount my 140 watt hella floodlights on the front for full rally steez. We've made an angle alloy crossbrace between the bar mounts and folded up some plates that fit tight under the plastic skin of the bumper, so in essence they will bolt onto the bar like all the others I've seen, but they will actually have steel under there to mount to so the bar doesn't crack in the long run.

I also put a different idle controller on and idle performance has improved, I used an extra 90 degree fitting on it and it has way less hose on it too now. Tyres are still pretty good but a little over the hill. 595 rsr are great.

Picked up an interesting sa63 hatch last week from a bloke at Kedron. Its got a 3sfe twincam conversion from an sr40 spacia, so efi 3sfe, 94kw, 179 NM. Way better than 2sc 73kw and 157 NM. Has the W55 box too. Im tempted to strip it out and autocross it. It would be a king thrash car. Needs brakes and a tune up, probably plugs, leads and a full service. Its had a timing belt. Being that 3sfe and 5sfe use an identical cylinder head, I could put a 5sfer in it and use the rwd plenum from the 3sfe and instantly have 100kw and 200NM.

Getting a 48mm itb system with upstream injection made at the moment.
    https://www.instagram.com/interiorinstallations/

Could put some great photos up if the site wasnt so fucking shit.

Throttles are in and working good, basic road tuning is out of the way, heading for dyno then 1/4 mile soon. Was borked a bit by a tps I damaged while setting up the itbs, but I have now got a genuine one in place and its epic.

how much is Too Much Toyota JustenGT8's Avatar

Pics or it didn't happen
    Lily Simpson 6.7.2010
    R.I.P.

Fix the site it wont upload photos. Or just look at Rollaclub

1MZ > 2JZ Carport Converter knightrous's Avatar

Inserting of pics works fine on this site....

It just comes up with errors. Same as always. I wish it worked, it doesn't. At least not for me.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Boost the 3SFE! I put a spacia 3SFE in an AE86 once, was going to boost it but sold the car. They should handle 7-10psi easy

Quote Originally Posted by samkaos View Post
    Boost the 3SFE! I put a spacia 3SFE in an AE86 once, was going to boost it but sold the car. They should handle 7-10psi easy
    Hi Sam, Its actually a 4sfe, so 1.8 litres, it would be a good little turbo motor, or a neat little aspirated motor seyup in a small chassis. I just dont want to do it. I've started wrecking out the sa63, with the intention of just using it as a test bed to get the 4sfe running perfect, sell that, then keep the w58 and use as a spare for my w57 in the ae86. The engine is up for grabs if anyone wants to do that. It would be a nice cheap conversion in say a ke30 to 55 with a 2sc corona manual behind it. Pretty fun to have a 90kw engine in one of those. If nobody wants the motor alone Ill probably end up making a conversion package out of it for someone to use. Asking 400 for the motor. For that money its a good way to get a rwd manifold set that you could use on anything up to a 5sfe, and the tight motor is just a bonus.

I got the 2azfe engine tuned again with the 48s on it yesterday. Made more power everywhere from bottom to top, smoothed the torque delivery out and made it very linear. Im stoked. Extra 10hp up top, a lot more torque everywhere else. Would put up a dyno sheet but once again the site doesnt take pictures, it just gives me a false event error, no matter the file type or size. Look at rollaclub or ae86 dc if you want to see it.

So I went to Willowbank Saturday night and I set a new PB of 14.211 at 96.5mph. Sheets are on instagram @interiorinstallations. or #2az86.
    Being my own retarded self I cracked 100 percent throttle so hard I twisted a linkage on the itbs, so I had some resetting to do Sunday.
    Ended up reworking the inlet with the 80mm spacers between throttle and manifold, to extend the port length massively, it initially killed the first 5 rows in the maps by sending them lean as heck, so I logged, analysed, and fluffed up the fuel about 15 percent and rediscovered the torque off the bottom revs. It actually drives better than before, the torque doesn't have as much of an initial brutal hit as you first tap the throttle, it has smoothed out that event, and the torque builds more linear on the pedal, so far I'm quite enjoying the change, it really does come alive at higher revs, but I simply need to throw it back on the dyno to find out what it will do up top. I suspect there's more top end there, as the torque seems to build for longer as you rev it out, and I haven't yet gotten near the limiter to see. Air may be coming in a bit faster past the valve, there may be a nice improvement in cylinder filling efficiency, but I have to finish the road tune and get to the dyno to have all the answers.