Page 1 of 32 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 4A to W Series bellhousing

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Bazooka's Avatar

Default 4A to W Series bellhousing - NEXT BATCH READY TO SHIP!

I know they exist but there seems to be a few different ones floating around. Does anyone have any experience with these? I have heard that there are some pretty crappy bellhousings being made for this conversion. Are there any good ones out there?
    Last edited by Bazooka; 22-11-2007 at 11:16 AM.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

Default Re: 4A to W Series bellhousing

Avoid dellows at all costs, they are teh suck.
    Niteparts from new zealand are supposed to be much better, plus there was some available from malaysia I believe. A search on this forums or the old forums should reveal plenty of info on which ones are good & where to get them from.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Billzilla (on these forums) can get them (I think they are the ones from Malaysia).
    Give him a hoy.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

buy nothing but a nite parts bellhousing!!!

They are the best by far. They have a factory look and will fit the big GZE flywheel with a little modification!

Give brendan a call on +6421475437 Tell him Jordan sent me to you and he will look after you!

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

A couple of years ago I actually persisted with the Dellhousing - yes, it was an absolute piece of crap, but I did find one handy point in it - it's got mickey mouse ears, so you can mount either the standard starter on the exhaust side, or a GZE starter on the intake side, which is damned handy.

The other aspects of it are very, very ordinary however....

I have heard nothing but bad things about the Dellows Bellhousings. Rear Drive in New Zealand are actually giving me a better price than Nite Parts themselves.

http://www.reardrive.co.nz/view_list...ta=Drivetrain_

Nite Parts are however giving a better price for quantities of 5 or more.

Bill Sherwood tells me that he is not 100% happy with his bellhousings and trying to get his supplier to change them a little so it could be a while before we see them again.

Junior Member Carport Converter Billzilla's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka
    Bill Sherwood tells me that he is not 100% happy with his bellhousings and trying to get his supplier to change them a little so it could be a while before we see them again.
    Yep.
    It seems that the jig they use might be a millimetre or two out and I want it to be perfect before I sell anymore of them.
    To anyone that has one of mine, when you get a chance please check the clutch for excess wear. If it's a problem I'll do my best to get it fixed though it has to go back to the supplier in Malaysia sorry.

Forum Sponsor Carport Converter TurboRA28's Avatar

Just want to subscribe to this thread as I'm chasing one of these also
    1977 RA28 Celica - 1MZ-FE Members Rides
    1996 FZJ80 Landcruiser.
    Email : [email protected]

Junior Member Grease Monkey Maverick's Avatar

I know for a fact that i could give my dog (his name is Jackson) a TIG welder and some alloy plates, and provided I also let him use my bandsaw, he could make a bellhousing ten times better than the F#@kwits at dello.... and i know for a fact that his "custom" clutch fork won`t break clean in half because the CS of the cast steel looks like a fuckin aerobar. note: delicious chocolate filled with many air bubbles.

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

My advice, either get together and do a group buy through Brendan at Niteparts or if buying individually go through Rear Drive as they sell them cheaperr than Niteparts do direct due to volumes. Also make sure they don't charge you NZ GST as it does not apply for export goods. You may get stung for GST by Aussie customs though. Exchange rate is looking a little more favourable than it was too.
    Or you can wait till Bill has his sorted out which will probably be cheaper.

Callum

Quote Originally Posted by WDE_BDY
    My advice, either get together and do a group buy through Brendan at Niteparts or if buying individually go through Rear Drive as they sell them cheaperr than Niteparts do direct due to volumes. Also make sure they don't charge you NZ GST as it does not apply for export goods. You may get stung for GST by Aussie customs though. Exchange rate is looking a little more favourable than it was too.
    Or you can wait till Bill has his sorted out which will probably be cheaper.

Callum

Yeah, exactly what he said

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice twinky's Avatar

Hi guys,
    I have a 4a to w5* series bellhousing from the group buy that was done on the old forums. I think these ones came from america. I brought 2 of them. Im using one but the other is unused and just sitting around.

Sell for around $450, if anyones interested let me know by pm.

Cheers,
    John
    Last edited by twinky; 29-05-2006 at 10:55 PM.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer BigWorm's Avatar

OK, thought I'd just add to this thread rather than start a new one.

I have a question about bell housings other than the dellow ones, & how the box fits up in regards to the "rotation", for want of a better word.
    The problem I have is with my engine mounted verticaly as opposed to being mounted on the standard angle towards the passenger side, the box is sitting so that it is tilted/angled over toward the passenger side. So if I wanted to mount the motor on the standard tilt, the box would be tilted even further toward the passenger side & the shifter would not only be pointing out the passenger window but the shifter housing would foul on the tranny tunnel rather than sticking up through the shifter hole in the tunnel.
    Does everyone understand all that???

So what I'm wondering is, do these Niteparts or Rear Drive or the US ones have the same problem? Those of you that have fitted a W55/7/8 to a sprinter, that has the standard mounts & the engine on the factory tilt, how is the orientation of the box? Any problem with the shifter not lining up with the tranny tunnel hole? Or is this just another part of the Dellows bodginess?

I might go get a few pics of my setup to make it easier to understand.

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

ah this is a prob i once faced too. as my motor is mounted straight as opposed to the std angle.

Answer: Get a nite parts housing!!!!!!!! they are designed for use in a clubman with the motor mounted straight so you will have no probs m8

Gobble, Gobble! Automotive Encyclopaedia mrshin's Avatar

I had a similiar issue with my sandcastle, I mean dellhousing. It sits the box straight (well, as straight as dellows could make anything...) behind the engine, and as I was using the original 4A mounts, the gearbox ended up twisted...