Thread: A-series bellhousing to OLD T-series transmission

Default A-series bellhousing to OLD T-series transmission

Hi,

I took some photos and notes during my closeratio transmission rebuild.
    It was previosly running with T-series bellhousing and because of new engine setup i have to transfer it to suite A-series block.

Some startup notes:

-There is atleast 2 different T-series bellhousings (old and new)
    -There is atleast 2 different A-series bellhousings (4A and 4A-GE)
    -There is atleast 3 different transmission cover setups(short tail, longtail with small bearings and longtail with big bearings).
    -There is atleast 3 different Main axle/bearing combinations on T-trannys(old with small bearings, middle with big bearings and new with big bearings(latest has needle bearings for 3rd gear))

I will focus on converting oldest axle setup to longtail with small bearings to suite 4A-GE bellhousing.

This is still ongoing project so i will update this post untill it's finished.
    Try to bare with all my typos and lousy grammar

A and T bellhousings dont share the same slide tube, so i decided to make spacers to use old T-slide tube in A-bell. Both bellhousings are the same thickses, so i can use the small bearing boxes stock shim between slidetube and mainshaft bearing.

Both tubes have exactly same sealings for the axle.

First of all, the tube inserts inside the bellhousing and t-tube is too small for a-bell, because old-T has smaller bearings.
    The tube's polt pattern is wrong as you can see in this picture ->needs grinding.

I made a centering ring to mate small bearings and slide tube to bellhousing.

And spacer for smaller dia bearings circlip.

Old toys for old boys

Default Re: A-series bellhousing to OLD T-series transmission

And Stewart told me some of you have had leaking problems with this conversion?
    I'm not sure what might caused this, but it might have been because the small bearing trannys counter shafts front bearings circlip is bigger on outter diameter than the big bearing ones.

And it wont go into the groove it's supposed, so the bellhousing wont go against transmissions sealing surface and it will be leaking.

Big bearing circlip will do the trick.

I have to still measure the clearance for countershafts bolt to bellhousing.
    Old toys for old boys

Junior Member Too Much Toyota oldcorollas's Avatar

just bumping this up, cos the pictures are great... and you have to search for "ring" to find it...

keywords: T50 input shaft bearing size seal seals AE86 TA22 gearbox leaking
    "I'm a Teaspoon, not a mechanic"
    "There is hardly anything in the world that a man can not make a little worse and sell a little cheaper" - John Ruskin (1819 - 1900)

AU$TRALIA... come and stay and PAY and PAY!!! The moral high horse of the world!

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

when i did this, i used a T50 from a TE72 and a bellhousing from an AE71, i just mixed and matched washers and used lots of silastic....

.. it probably did leak, but i never noticed
    ...... butt scratcher?!

you can't say ****** here Automotive Encyclopaedia CLG's Avatar

Yep Toycrash is on the money here - you should rep him for his input, for this is truely a rep worthy thread!

Junior Member Grease Monkey smitty1's Avatar

Sorry to drag up a really old thread, but I have a quick question. If I have a 4age version of the T50 out of a JDM sprinter, can I grab an early Celica extension housing and put them together successfully? The aim is to try and get the shifter up through the original hole in a KE2x - 4age conversion. Is there a specific extension housing that will give this result?
    Cheers, Ian

Quote Originally Posted by smitty1
    If I have a 4age version of the T50 out of a JDM sprinter, can I grab an early Celica extension housing and put them together successfully? The aim is to try and get the shifter up through the original hole in a KE2x - 4age conversion. Is there a specific extension housing that will give this result?
    No you cant.

Shifter axles on old and AE86 style transmissions are different in length. There might be a chance that older shiftaxles would fit in new casing and then you could use the old version extension. Still there might be bearing size issues...
    I would personally use old version tranny and AE86 bellhousing.
    Old toys for old boys

Apparently I'm a Backyard Mechanic PULSE's Avatar

Hey mate, I'm currently in the middle of doing this now. I've got a 4A bellhousing and the 4A slide tube. So after reading this its cleared up my problem of whether i'm meant to try and fit that shim in or not, I left it out tonight as a test fit to see if it would all bolt together and it did, and now I know that I haven't screwed anything up. Now because I'm using the 4A slide tube, does that mean I don't have to stuff around with the centering rings at all? Or do I need to sort out a centering ring for the smaller bearing? I don't understand 100%. Thanks mate, oh and plus rep for an excellent thread!

Quote Originally Posted by PULSE
    Hey mate, I'm currently in the middle of doing this now. I've got a 4A bellhousing and the 4A slide tube. So after reading this its cleared up my problem of whether i'm meant to try and fit that shim in or not, I left it out tonight as a test fit to see if it would all bolt together and it did, and now I know that I haven't screwed anything up. Now because I'm using the 4A slide tube, does that mean I don't have to stuff around with the centering rings at all? Or do I need to sort out a centering ring for the smaller bearing? I don't understand 100%. Thanks mate, oh and plus rep for an excellent thread!
    Dont know about 4A bearing size, but if you measure out the outer diameter of your bearing and the same thing in your bellhousing, you will see if it need the centering ring.
    Old toys for old boys

Hey mate, thanks for the info I'll suss that out when I next have the gearbox apart.

Someone just asked me how I'm planning to run a 20 spline gearbox on a 4AGE which uses a 22 spline clutch. I was curious how you went about this? I don't really know much clutches apart from looking at a spare 2T one I had today, and I figured the options would be run a 4A flywheel with a 2T clutch + clutch housing, if the bolt pattern for the clutch is the same as the 4A one. Otherwise possibly user the 4A flywheel and clutch housing with the actual clutch being a 2T one if they use the same size? So yeah just curious if I'm on the right track or what?

Cheers, matt

Quote Originally Posted by PULSE
    Hey mate, thanks for the info I'll suss that out when I next have the gearbox apart.

Someone just asked me how I'm planning to run a 20 spline gearbox on a 4AGE which uses a 22 spline clutch. I was curious how you went about this? I don't really know much clutches apart from looking at a spare 2T one I had today, and I figured the options would be run a 4A flywheel with a 2T clutch + clutch housing, if the bolt pattern for the clutch is the same as the 4A one. Otherwise possibly user the 4A flywheel and clutch housing with the actual clutch being a 2T one if they use the same size? So yeah just curious if I'm on the right track or what?

Cheers, matt
    On old vs. new T50 the slpline difference is in outputshaft, not in clutch side.

You can use any clutch that vas designed to fit T-series box. Outter diameter varies depending on wich flywheel you use. Spline count from inputshaft and diameter from wflywheel size. Then just pickthe right one and dont mix any fwd spline counts here either
    Old toys for old boys

Oh ok so the output shaft I'm assuming is the one that connects to the tailshaft/driveshaft?

So I can just use any clutch + flywheel combo that was designed for use with a 4AGE + t50?

Cheers, Matt

I've got the gearbox out again and I want to finish this stuff so I can get it all bolted up and in there for good.

Now that I've had a good look at it and comparing to this thread I'm starting to get my head around it all. I've taken the 2 circlips off my old T gearbox, and I've found the counter shafts circlip will pop into its space in the 4A bellhousing. However I measured it on both bellhousings to compare and it is a different size hole for the circlip. In the 4A bell it fits nice and tight, in the 2T bell it is loose and has prob a bit less than a mm play on each side. I'm assuming when its actually clipped onto the counter shaft, it will held open more than when I pressed it into the bell, so it probably wont fit when I try to bolt the bell back onto the gearbox. So I need to get a big bearing circlip. Am I able to buy these from like a bolt/bearing shop or something or maybe through toyota or do I need to find a big bearing gearbox to scavenge it from?

Now on the main shaft, the circlip is definitely way too small since its the small bearing type, but I'm running the 4A slide tube. So I'm pretty sure what I need is a spacer to mate the small bearings circlip, but I don't need to bother with the centering ring for the slide tube. Now, where and how did you make or get made, those spacers/centering rings?

Heres a pic of the small bearings circlip being held in place to show how small it is. And the counter shaft with the 2T circlip stuck in there. I'm going to do some more measuring to see if it will be possible to use that 2T circlip.

Cheers, Matt