Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TA22 Brake Master Cylinder options...

Purple is the new black! Automotive Encyclopaedia sillycar chick's Avatar

Default TA22 Brake Master Cylinder options...

THis is one for all you toyota gurus who have parts catalogues...

I am wanting to know if there is a Toyota master cylinder which has the same connection locations for the metal pipes as the TA22 master cylinder, but has a reservior bolted directly on top of the master cylinder instead of the rubber hose setup from the master cylinder to the reservior.

The rubber hose on mine is stuffed, and I dont like the idea of a rubber hose with clamps in a brake setup. Too easy to get leaks/problems if you ask me. And I dont want to stuff around changing pipe locations, if I have to do this I will just replace the bloody rubber hose. This car has been off the road for too long, I miss driving it and just wanna get it on the dyno so I can drive it again!

I was thinking of putting in a new master cylinder anyway, because its pretty old and brakes need to be in top condition if they are to work effectively. THanks guys.....
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Quote Originally Posted by TheToyman75 View Post
    There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

Default Re: TA22 Brake Master Cylinder options...

Firstly the only master cylinder that will bolt up with out ANY changes to any of the lines at all is another TA22 Master cylinder. There are others that will bolt up to the booster but they will require the lines to be moved (bent/reshaped) and/or new end adaptors fitted (such as the late model Camry master cylinder).

And I dont want to stuff around changing pipe locations
    That rules out any other master cylinder options I am aware of.

and I dont like the idea of a rubber hose with clamps in a brake setup
    That particular hose you speak of holds no pressure and feeds the master cylinder from the reservoir with nothing more than gravity - so I fail to see you concern over this setup.

It is a very quick and simple job to replace that hose and it will probably be fine for another 20 odd years once it's done .

A new master cylinder isn't a bad idea just for peace of mind.

I have found that the hose is no longer available from Toyota. My bf is going to a brake shop for me near his work today to see what they have. Does anyone know what material specs the rubber hose is? It obviously has to be resistant to corrosion from brake fluid, so I doubt a fuel hose would work....
    51LII - 1972 TA22 Celica | Morpheous Metallic | 4AGE 20v Silvertop | Razorback ECU | W58
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

There is not much hotter than a Freshly painted Celica, Unless its the reflection of a freshly painted Celica on a freshly painted Celica

Junior Member Too Much Toyota YLD-16L's Avatar

A brake shop will definitely have that hose on a roll and will be able to cut you a section, that is where I got my section from.

What it's made of I have no idea but it is not wise to use fuel hose

I hope they do! Thanks for your help
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice 3T-GTE's Avatar

Just for reference & seeing I've been playing around with brakes lately...
    There are actually a few good master cylinder upgrades for the TA22, however, these normally take place as part of a complete brake upgrade (ie. 4piston callipers, rear disc conversion, etc...)

Here are a few you could try that will bolt up to your existing booster, or if you don't like the feel of boosted brakes, you could also opt to remove the booster & go with a bigger bore + more feel.

You should be able to get the existing brake lines to line up, but they may require a slight amount of adjustment to get them to fit.

My suggestion would be to get down to your local wrecker & have some fun matching up various master cylinders to you standard TA-22. Great way to learn & discover all sorts of cool things!

The following are all the 2 bolt configuration with larger 15/16 bores (std = 13/16 bore) that I have fitted to various conversions or I've seen over the past 2 decades. You may need also need to use an adjustable proportioning valve to get the front/rear bias right with some of these options.

- Toyota Tercel master cylinder. Same size bore as the Stock TA22 but its alot more modern design simple and effective bolt on upgrade. I think that this is the one you might be interested in for what you need.
    - ST205 GT4 brake master cylinder... go with the booster hose valve off the ST205 booster as its already angled. You can cut and shut the booster hose valve from straight to angled to clear the reservor, but it isn't an easy job to re-glue.
    - RA40 dual circuit master cylinder... will bolt up to the booster, but the outlets gets too close to the strut tower with the booster, so you'll need to go the unboosted option if you want to fit this neatly.
    - 2004 - 2005 Camry - see ST205, with a different reservoir arrangement.
    - T18 master cylinder ... 13/16 bore, will bolt straight in, but needs some proportioning adjustment to suit.
    - Mitsubishi Starion master cylinder - will bolt up to the booster, but will probably need some slight re-jiging of the brake lines to fit
    - R32 non abs master cylinder - it is amazing how much Nissan stuff bolts on to toyotas (don't want to give away too many secrets here though)

I think that the Toyota Tercel option is the go for what you want though.
    Hope this helps.
    3T-GTE
    Last edited by 3T-GTE; 26-05-2006 at 09:23 AM.

That is awesome stuff and should really help me figure out what I wanna do when the car is back on the road. And I never thought of tercel. My aunty drives one my dad fixed up for her, so I should go have a look at it... saves going to a wreckers and taking ages to find one Thanks heaps!!!
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Junior Member 1st year Apprentice 3T-GTE's Avatar

Happy to help...

I'm not a big forums user these days.. prefer to spend the time out in the garage or the track, but happy to help when I have got a spare minute.

Good luck sorting out the car, the Tercel conversion will do the trick nicely. From memory I can recall the Rod Try was running one on his TA22.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic kugzs's Avatar

3t-gte: what size bore does the R32 master cylinder have?

cheers
    josh

Senior Citizen Chief Engine Builder "Z" UTE's Avatar

An alternative, if you really dont want to change the master cylinder, and all the pipes.

Just buy a plastic resevior cup, and screw it into the master cylinder! Brake shop should be able to supply that very cheaply.

The only reason Toyota did not do that, was in a standard TA22, the airfilter cover would have fouled the resevoir, if mounted at the front of the strut tower .ie. std location.

cheers Chuck.

Hmmm I guess that's a engineering design error on toyotas behalf.

Good idea with bolting a reservior on top, I should go home and try the landcruiser ones I have sitting around
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Blasphemist Chief Engine Builder Bananaman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kugzs
    3t-gte: what size bore does the R32 master cylinder have?

cheers
    josh
    15/16" if i recall correctly.

Can you confirm that this fits on fine? No need to be vague about it, my car is already going to be well and truly nissan-ised already
    KE20 CA18DET / RN25 12R / IS200 1G / NA MX5 B6

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 3T-GTE
    - R32 non abs master cylinder - it is amazing how much Nissan stuff bolts on to toyotas (don't want to give away too many secrets here though)
    Probably because bitsamissan purchase and install from factory Aisin branded parts. Aisin is wholly owned and was founded by Toyota many many many years ago. Mitsushity is very similar, as with most other japanese brands. Toyota actually own a whole heap of companies which make various auto parts which are fitted from factory by most japanese auto manufacturers.

Bugger it Dana, why dont you just do the AU III front brake and 5 stud conversion, along with the hilux diff and supra rear brake conversion, then muk about and put in a 1" bored MC and you will just about have 0% chance of running up another cars bum... but then you would have to muck about with the fixed lines...

Cheers, Owen
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Quote Originally Posted by o_man_ra23
    Bugger it Dana, why dont you just do the AU III front brake and 5 stud conversion, along with the hilux diff and supra rear brake conversion, then muk about and put in a 1" bored MC and you will just about have 0% chance of running up another cars bum... but then you would have to muck about with the fixed lines...

Cheers, Owen
    Youre funny I was planning on big upgrades for my brakes.... in the future, on 51LII mk II, when I build a nice turbo'd donk... but that is a lot of $$$ away yet For the meantime, just wanna get the thing back on the road with at least sound brakes
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)

Just ventured out to the shed and had a quick squiz at the master cylinder and the landcruiser reservior and retainer bolt thingy I have sitting there. It looks like it will work. Will just all depend if the threaded hole in the master cylinder is actually the same size as the retainer bolt. Wont know for sure until I pull it apart tomorrow. And if it doesnt fit then maybe the one on the RA28 will?

Because my boyfriend went to a brake place who have done pipes for us before and they said they didnt have any rubber stuff, would have to go to a truck place, and i doubt any would be open tomorrow.

If anyone has actually tried this before, please speak up now or forever hold your peace... Or if anyone has a dismantled TA22 master cylinder, and could check the size and thread on that bolt, that would also be great
    Toyota Car Club (Qld)