Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: boosted 3rz with stock ecu

BBP racing 3rzfe+T Carport Converter BeRad's Avatar

Default boosted 3rz with stock ecu

had a play with a few things to see if i can fix it but...

when i start it, it will idle perfect and when i drive it it will spool boost and run perfect, but if i coast along in neutral, or pull up at a set of traffic lights the car will splutter and stall, when i restart it it will splutter and stall again , but if i pull up and hold the revs around 1000rpm it will keep running , now im 99% sure its the afm. well its really the only thing that could be causing the problem. my question is if i pull the afm further away from the turbo "should" this help or maybe extend the pipe from afm to pod filter... an aftermarket ecu is goin in, in a couple of weeks but in the meantime i wouldnt mind drivin it around a bit but its just a pain in the arse having to keep the revs up whilst stopping. or has anyone got any other suggestions, the afm is a wire one not a flap.

or another suggestion is, could the clutch fan be forcing air into the pod and confusing the afm, its confused enough with the added turbo haha..

heres a pic incase it helps with any suggestions

the pod is connectd pretty much straight after the afm on the left.

thanks brad
    Only the shittiest of wines come in 5 litres

boosted 3rz hilux *new project* mwahaha
    http://www.toymods.net/forums/showth...940#post134940

she loves me coz im a Conversion King love ke70's Avatar

Default Re: boosted 3rz with stock ecu

these work by the resistance changing due to the friction or whatever of the air coming by right?

if so, its probably getting too hot and you should consider moving it further away into a nice cool location
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

probably right, but even if the engine is dead cold just been started it will still do it striaght away.... just tryin to get as much info out so someone maybe able to help a little more.

vacuum leak?
    MY RIDE, 2 Door LHD KE70 sedan with 1G HKS stroker: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=51760

Punctuation is the difference between 'I helped my Uncle Jack off his horse' and 'I helped my uncle jack off his horse.'

jzx100 fan boy Domestic Engineer slide86's Avatar

how bout your idle screw or the idle control motor?

maybe one of these is out of wack. perhaps you should adjust the idle screw a bit more so that it holds the butterfly open a bit to stop the stalling.

i also noticed that its got some sort of vacumn controlled idle setup, is that working correctly. maybe its gone boom due to seeing some boosted air. after all it wasnt really designed to see boost.....
    Quote Originally Posted by The Witzl
    Please visit here, they will have all the answers you need for this "conversion" - www.hot4s.com.au

"motoring enthusiast" Backyard Mechanic mideon_696's Avatar

had a similar prob once with a CA20e, couldnt work it out myself, thought it was afm, auto sparky, strangely, found it to be the TPS...
    No Signature.

ahhk. yer it has a stepper motor, no idle screw that i could see. i tried adjusting the acc cable but not enough to lift the rpm. but all in all im trying to fix the problem not band aid it. so yeah ... i thought about tps but i sought of ruled that out when the car would idle fine when i first started it and let it sit there and idle it would idle all day so long as i didnt accelerate.

im pretty sure its working correctly ( the idle control that is), because at first i blockd it just not thinking and looking properly and it wouldnt idle at all haha obviously cause it couldnt get any air without opening the t/b with the throttle cable. so it makes me think its working ok.

any idea what went wrong with the tps? was it just rooted, or needed to be calibrated or something

i dont see how it idleing rules out TPS.
    it says, ok its shut.
    but then when it returns it doesnt re-recognise this maybe?
    the fact that it will idle, but then once you move the throttle it gets upset might explain it?

yes true, it does make sense but so does a milion other things haha, oh the joy of cars, i just find it strange that i drove it out to my m8s workshop saturday morning and it was a ok and as soon as i fired it up boosted it just woudlnt play the game.

obviously theres going to be dramas boosting an engine with a ecu that wasnt designed to run boost etc.

"motoring enthusiast" Backyard Mechanic mideon_696's Avatar

just change the TPS and see what happens, would be cheap...
    No Signature.

im gettin an aftermarket ecu in a few weeks, so even still cheap still a waste of money and money is something i havnt got thousands lieing around so im looking for other options. if it is the tps that is broken well it wont be driven til the ecu goes in becuase then it doesnt need the tps.

but if the tps is shagged ur gonna need a new one right?

Chookhouse Chooning Automotive Encyclopaedia Hen's Avatar

If you have a pod directly before the AFM it **MAY** be that turbulent airflow over the hotwire is confusing it (doesn't explain why it idles, but plays up when backing off). There is a very cheap fix for this involving superglue and drinking straws. Search for a post by Bill Sherwood regarding such a fix on his 3SGE sprinter. Worth a try.

Hen

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

stuttering/stalling/carrying on while just at idle, running perfectly higher up, is a vacuum leak.

Eldar.O.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic 3sgte's Avatar

It is sucking in unmetered air at idle through the PCV via the vent on the valvecover?

In normal times, that air passing through the valve cover is already measured by the airflow meter.

Perhaps get a hose from that naked valve cover nipple to the non-boosted side of the turbo. That hose might eventually need to pass through an oil catch can on its way.