Thread: fuel pump staging

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default fuel pump staging

hey guys,

Im building up my fuel system to run roughly 500-600 hp at the track, but only at most 300 on the street.

so I currently have a walbro 255 intank pump running my 440cc injectors.

what my question is, can I have my fuel system that primes the walbro and runs that on the street and then have a switch to trigger the relay for the 044s to pump from my surge tank

so it would be:

tank--->walbro--->surge tank --->044s--->injectors.

pretty much what I'm asking is, are the 044s able to just sit in line and not work like an actual pump until triggered by the switch.

I hope people can understand that.

cheers

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: fuel pump staging

Using that setup, if only the walbro is running it will fill the surge tank and then drain back to the main tank. Also I believe the fuel pumps are positive displacement, so they will be very restrictive if not switched on.
    Its probably best to setup the system for your maximum needs, and just leave it at that. So long as your return lines and regulator can flow enough you won't have issues with rail pressure. Heating of the fuel might be a bit higher than normal and your pump life will be shorter if they're at 100%, but these aren't huge disadvantages.

Alternatively you could run a resistor pack like some of the stock pumps. So on the street they see less voltage and only flow what you need.

Low rep Grease Monkey

Default Re: fuel pump staging

have any pics of your setup?