Thread: HELP ID struts, knuckles and LCA's

SPANNER CRAB Grease Monkey AE3SGTE's Avatar

Default HELP ID struts, knuckles and LCA's

Car - ke70 wagon with ae71 x-member conversion with mystery strut, LCA, disc's and hubs?
    previous owners said that it had "XT130 Struts, LCA's and knuckles"

motor / part in question - Struts, LCA's, hubs & discs.

problem - Help identify

occurs/started when (if applicable)- when installed new coilovers with 86 P/S knuckles - LHS ball joint was toast so I tried to replace the ball joint and the early corolla/corona BJ145/217 was too small WTF>?

personal situation (if applicable) - one confused mofo who just spend 30mins at repco struggling with the "parts interpreter" trying to ID my ball joint with no luck....

-So these struts, knuckles and LCAS were installed on my KE70 wagon with AE71 xmember.
    I was told they were XT130, but I don't believe they are.
    They do have bigger hubs that suit XT130/MA61 stub axles as I have had the hubs and discs on my new XT130/coilovers, but the spacing for the knuckles is different to XT130/ AE86/ AE86 p/s knuckles.
    Also on the LCA's, the ball joints are bigger then the early corolla/corona (XT130/ XE7X/ AE86 BJ145 (or TRW JBJ217) ) by 2mm.
    I just tried to fit a BJ145 in and it was too small for the LCA...
    The Ball joints look identical to a BJ145 but on verniers the BJ145 is 2mm smaller in circumference....WTF
    I've got some kind of frankinstein front end in this thing.
    Can anyone help out to identify what the hell i got here?

My first hint was when I put my XT130 coilovers in the AE86 P/S knuckles would not fit on the ball join properly.
    I ended up forcing them on with a breaker bar and am now regretting doing that as I think I'm going to have a bullshit hard time undoing this!

I found a ball joint listing for early Supra/Cressida BJ314 or BJ232 (same) says 44mm OD. Thats the right size.
    The early corolla BJ145 measured up 42mm OD...
    So I guess that sort of narrows it down a little.
    Any one ever heard of some kind of either Supra or Cressida strut, knuckle and LCA conversion done on XE7X corolla before?

Default Re: HELP ID struts, knuckles and LCA's

Could someone list off which toyota struts take the MA61/XT130 hubs?
    I was looking at some RA65 struts thinking they look like it, but the RA65 steering arms take the smaller BJ145 ball joint?
    Maybe someone has moded the steering arms to take the bigger ball joint?

Default Re: HELP ID struts, knuckles and LCA's

So I came across this useful site:
    http://users.tpg.com.au/users/loats/.../fronthub.html
    In it it lists all the toyota's that use the same wheel bearings as MA61 and I cross referenced that agiainst ball join catalogue

Celica ra40, ra60, sa63, ra65 - all use BJ145
    Cressida mx32, mx36, mx62, mx73 - all use BJ314/232
    Crown ms65 - uses upper and lower ball joints - different set up but uses BJ115 as lower but is 5 x 114.3mm stud pattern hub
    Corona rt81 - uses upper and lower ball joints - different set up but usesBJ69 as lower
    Corona rt104 - uses upper and lower ball joints - different set up but uses BJ129 as lower
    Corona xt130, rt133, st141, rt142 - All use BJ145
    Avante st141, rt142 - Both use BJ145
    spacia yr22 - uses upper and lower ball joints - different set up but uses BJ225 as lower
    lite ace km20, cm20, cm35, ym21, ym30, ym35 - uses upper and lower ball joints - different set up but uses BJ225 as lower
    supra ma61 - use BJ314/232
    tarago yr20, yr21, yr22 2wd, cr21 - uses upper and lower ball joints - different set up but uses BJ225 as lower

So that narrows it down to Cressida mx32, mx36, mx62, mx73 or Supra ma61 and the disc's look different to the MA61's that I have compared them to..but I really should measure them...