Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1KD-FTV bits and pieces

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default 1KD-FTV bits and pieces

hey guys,

Test drove a newish hilux today with 3L Turbo Diesel (1KD-FTV) and i must say i was pleasantly surprised. I realise they are diesel and never will be race motors, but just out of interest cause im curious has anyone here played around with toyota diesels as far as light mods...

I was wondering if basic things like cold air intake, exhaust and front mounted intercooler would have any benefit ? From my research so far, it seems most of these modern diesels are strung out pretty highly and a friend who is a diesel mechanic made mention that things like more boost and giving the diesel really anything more than they have from stock out of the factory is getting into danger zone as they are already pretty far pushed out.

Also from what i gather things like newer air filters and exhaust really make no difference at all and as for a front mounted intercooler ive read some people say it can cause the ecu to become unhappy with the change in pressure of the intake.

I'm just unsure and interested if anyone has had any experience

Cheers guys

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 1KD-FTV bits and pieces

Yes.

Well worth it and there is a tunable chip you can get for them which if set correctly can give a good gain, Like awesome with a good tuner and I know just the man in WA too. But this said from my own personal choice being a "Boatie" from way back I'd never have a common rail diesel as one bad fill of fuel and they stop, 10K later they're going again. Yet if you change the fuel filter at every service and fill up at a servo with a high diesel turn over then not a problem. Lories in Kelmscott for example
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

Common-rail ECU is map sensored, so any increase in boost from a FMIC is not an issue. In any case, the primary benefit of the FMIC is lower intake pressure. You'll get negligible boost increase from a FMIC (when you think about the physics of it, you get a pressure drop - not increase - from the lowering of intake air-temps).

If you stuffed around with the wastegate control, then you could get more boost. But the ECU (being MAP sensored) will go into limp mode or cut fuel if you hit the factory boost limit.

As long as you change the oil as per factory (every 5k) & keep an eye on the fuel filter, it should run like a champ.

Note: low-speed driving (e.g. offroad or daily commuter) will not hugely benefit from a FMIC - not enough air-speed.

Also, you might find a top-mounted and ducted FMIC or WAI a better solution (if you have the engine bay height). Gives the radiator a cleaner/cooler air-flow and with a GT4-like scoop on the bonnet, you'll get a fair amount of air into a FMIC. If going offroading a lot, then a WIA with a safely-located and fan-assisted condensor would be one solution.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

hmmm ok thats quite interesting then, i'm a little concerned about the whole diesel failure issue. I'm very particular when it comes to servicing and maintenance. I have no issue either with fresh oil every 5000, and new filters and what not.

Does anyone here have any reccomendations on what to service and how often, this will be my first diesel so knoweldge is power in this case.

Also it seems pretty scary that its so easy to kill the motor and get that wonderful $10,000 repair job, is this very common or a very exetreme case of something going wrong ? As i live in south perth, i assume most of the servo's around here would have a decent turn over a diesel ?

The instance of failure must not be that common, cause i see so many turbo diesel hiluxs on the road and all the tradies seem to have them!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic Bazooka's Avatar

I can add to this as I too know of people that have had water contamination problems with the common rail diesels. It can destroy the engine pretty quickly. The first thing you want to do is install a water seperator inline on the fuel system. This should seperate any water that may get into the system before it gets to the engine. I did a write up on the Prado Point forum when installing one in my 120 series but the same principle applies the the Hilux.
    You can find it here Caterpillar Water Seperator - The Full Story
    Touch wood I have not had any water in the fuel but this is very cheap insurance.
    Another good modification is a free flow exhaust. This reduced a lot of the turbo lag and made acceleration better. The factory system was quite terrible. I have a 3" dump to the cat and 2.5" from there back. I was concerned going 3" from the cat for the noise as it is a family vehicle but I cannot notice any increased exhaust noise through the cab with 2.5" It does have a better note though and the turbo whistle is more noticable but definately not loud.
    Although the debate is still out on whether there is any benefit I have installed a snorkel too. I decided it had to be better than the factory intake jammed up in the front guard and after reading an article where from memory just fitting one produced 2kw on a dyno I had to give it a go. At very least I'm safe on those deep water crossings
    It didnt seem to make any 'seat of the pants' improvements but gives a bit of a howl through the intake with the window down.
    My next mod will be a power chip as everyone I have spoken to say they are a good thing. Noone has anything bad to say about them. The Steinbauer is the one that I am drifting towards and when tuned to the above mods should make a nice difference.
    The other thing I might try is installing a thermo fan on top of the intercooler. This should help the most on hot days at low speed and especially when towing if the engine is working a bit harder.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia 2jzhilux's Avatar

How much money do you want to spend?
    Have a look here for a few go fast bits Monster Performance Industries
    If you buy a newer hilux like 07 upwards the injectors are not too bad but they are pretty sensitive to fuel quality.

i ended up with an 06 Single cab turbo diesel with 50,000km on the clock. Got it for a good price too and everything on it seems pretty swish! Since im floating around the city most of the time, i would hope most of the servo's go through alot of diesel. I think i will chuck the cat filter in as mentioned above, seems like alot cheaper insurance than a bang engine!
    I am not really looking to make any crazy mean power as its just my run around car but that being said a few improvements here and there would be nice.

Anyone know where i can buy new panels and parts, i want to put a set of flares off an SR5.

I do a fair bit of work on these for my day job, and they will take a crap load of abuse by idiot drivers and still go strong if regularly serviced. Chang the oil and filter every 5,000Km as mentioned above, use a genuine oil filter, part number 90915 YZZD2, and good oil. As for the fuel filter, an aftermarket one will be fine, and change it every 10,000Km if worried about fuel, but in all honesty, i change them every 20,000Km and they are fine. The exhaust and stienbauer chip would be your best bang for the buck mod, and if you have the funds/want to get more, give a company called AXT a call, they sell a replacement kit for both the turbo and intercooler, getting rid of the veriable vane turbo for reliability and getting more power to boot. As for the flares, give either arb or tjm a call, they both sell sr5 style flare kits for your shape, and i believe tjm even have some for the new facelift hilux. Any questions you have pm me, like i said, between these and landcruisers is about 70% of my work. Go the diesels!!!
    TA23 Celica Convertable *Needs Paint*
    HZJ80 Landcruiser - For driving over Hondas

Awesome mate good to hear some praise. I really like it, good to drive and makes nice power.
    I don't think ill go crazy on the mods as I don't mind the stock power of it, however some nice flares and some decent rays/volks couldn't go astray.
    Plus I'm very anal about servicing and just looking after my stuff and keeping it in good condition

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Hi
    Good to here you got the 06 model , You can block the EGR off and save 70 klm per tank . 12 /06 on have the EGR cooler and are too smart to play with , if you try to block it they fault code .
    How do i wish you could alter the toyota ecu program .
    Dave

A word of warning if you have the egr cooler also, idleing around, not allowing the engine to rev will block the cooler up and cause the same error code. This occurs on hiace vans, hilux and prado vehicles. The toyota fix for this is to remove the cooler and back flush with BBQ cleaner. The cause is low/sooty egr flow and can be rectified by doing a quick squirt up the highway in 4th gear every so often or similar sustained higher revs.
    P.S. I don't work for toyota, just do an aweful lot on toyota diesel's

Also vent the cam cover to a catch tank.
    Without it, combined with the EGR issue you end up with a sludge motor in no time.

One more, to check the injector washers (little copper ones) at the base of the injectors.
    These start to distort and leak from combustion & under compression pressure, you end up with a nice mess in the injector wells (or all over the engine bay at worst).
    I 'heard' Toyota have released a service bulletin for these to be done before 150,000km

I've always been tempted to put one in the wifes torque-less Altezza RS200.

Haven't ever seen one of these cause too many problems with the crankcase pressure vent, however i could be proven wrong, i haven't seen all of them and i mostly see fleet vehicles, i have seen some bigish k ones, over 200,000, and one over 800,000 in a taxi van. The taxi only had the injectors out once at about 600,000 for a "clean" because the economy was shit and was lacking power, surprise, four new injectors......

Don't be turned off them though, awesome motor, and as with any engine, people in the know will tell you "common" faults, which are the "common" faults to this engine, however, in this case not common at all. Put it this way, if i had the money to spend on a new 4wd i would buy a 150 Prado (only cause the fj is petrol only), my dad has a new facelift hilux and my brother-in-law has a 150 Prado, so i do recomend them.

Still trying to convince them both a stienbauer and exhaust would be tops, but anywho.....

As you can tell i love the toyota diesels, the world of old toyota petrol is relitivly new to me though, hence joining this forum. When i joined i was more than happy with the performance of a standard 3tc, after reading somewhat i now crave a 2tg/3t hybrid with twin solex's, damn you all

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Sorry to use your thread 13
    I have done the conversion 1KD into a 1KZ vehicle and prob wouldnt do it again . The 1KD is a great engine in my eyes , i service many of them and only 1 has had new injectors at 130000 klm ,awsome torque and ecconmy too .
    My problem in my conversion is i used the euro 4 engine which is far too smart in regards to the electronics ,the mods away from stock are a 2.5 straight thru exhaust with no cat , front mount as the top mount is too tall and i had to re plumb all the EGR minus the cooler stuff to stop any fault codes .
    The result is it runs perfect however , 1/ around town fuel is like 17 lt per hunderd driving like a old man and 2/ flat throttle overtaking on the highway it cuts power ( i suspect boost cut )
    The annoying part of all this is bit by bit i have to return it to stock to try to work out my troubles .
    Maybe no cat creates not enough back pressure which makes it boost higher .
    Maybe all the extra intercooler piping is causing the trouble .
    When the Euro 5 standards come out i dont think any of us can play with our toys anymore .
    Dave

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by cambelt View Post
    Sorry to use your thread 13
    I have done the conversion 1KD into a 1KZ vehicle and prob wouldnt do it again . The 1KD is a great engine in my eyes , i service many of them and only 1 has had new injectors at 130000 klm ,awsome torque and ecconmy too .
    My problem in my conversion is i used the euro 4 engine which is far too smart in regards to the electronics ,the mods away from stock are a 2.5 straight thru exhaust with no cat , front mount as the top mount is too tall and i had to re plumb all the EGR minus the cooler stuff to stop any fault codes .
    The result is it runs perfect however , 1/ around town fuel is like 17 lt per hunderd driving like a old man and 2/ flat throttle overtaking on the highway it cuts power ( i suspect boost cut )
    The annoying part of all this is bit by bit i have to return it to stock to try to work out my troubles .
    Maybe no cat creates not enough back pressure which makes it boost higher .
    Maybe all the extra intercooler piping is causing the trouble .
    When the Euro 5 standards come out i dont think any of us can play with our toys anymore .
    Dave
    Dave I've had requests for the same conversion into KZN and LN130 Surf and like the Holden 3.8 V6 I won't do it as they're more trouble than what they're worth. Fitting the engine and intercooler.. Easy.. Bolt in. Wiring it up total bloody nightmare as you know. And over this side? One bad fill of fuel and you stop. 10 grand later you're going again. I would never have a modern common rail diesel in a boat either and when I do get me a boat if it has one it will be turned into a mooring block
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale