Thread: Wiring Help: Auto to manual conversion (Not your regular conversion question)

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Wiring Help: Auto to manual conversion (Not your regular conversion question)

Hey guys, Thanks in advance for any help it will be greatly appreciated.

I am currently at the ass end of my project on my 98 VVTI supra (link: http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/for...lots-pics.html).

A little back ground is that its a Tiptronic auto that is being converted to a 6 speed manual. So i started stripping my engine loom back and realized that my auto has 2 speed sensors that are 2 wire sensors not a 3 Wire speed sensor.

Now before i continue i have searched and found 2JZ-GTE VVTi speed sensor

Now to throw another spanner into the works i am using a Vipec V88 with a Pnp Adapter so does this mean i can wire the 3 pin speed sensor to the stock ecu plugs. If so which pin should i use out of the two wires that run to the stock ecu connector from the speed sensor? Will i also have to T this off to the body loom plug so that the speedo work.

I don't want to leave this for the shop to work out. But i will if i have to. In which case i guess i should just wire the sensor up to 12v switched power & Ground and run the signal wire to the ecu for them to wire in. But then my concern is the Speedo not working as the signal is going directly into the ecu.

Thanks.

Default Re: Wiring Help: Auto to manual conversion (Not your regular conversion question)

Basically pin 3 is signal, pin 1 is positive, pin 2 is negative. Told you I'd figure it out, just needed to find the damn page in the manual! now you see why I wanted a battery and multimeter earlier
    3pin-to-vipec.jpg
    Plenty of diagrams there!
    Pin 3 goes to the pin corresponding to ViPEC PnP pin G25 (or D23 on the diagram I uploaded), and pin 2 of the orange body loom plug (II1) for the speedometer. You no longer need the SP2+/- from the stock loom anyway because you're no longer running the stock ecu. I'm sure wilbo can confirm.
    (now I can get some sleep!)
    Last edited by nexx; 24-11-2011 at 12:49 AM. Reason: fixed spelling mistakes

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: Wiring Help: Auto to manual conversion (Not your regular conversion question)

Got a few Coronas under my belt ATM but generally Toyotas Run the VSS from the speedo so you should be ok as that wiring is independant from everything else. Power in. earth then signal on a 4 pulse feed from the speedo
    His. 2005 GRJ120 Prado VX
    Hers. 1995 KZN130 Surf (soon to be replaced by a Rav4)
    1981 LN40 Hilux Trayback ute. Now an RN40 with Surf interior
    1992 Factory Widebody 2door Surf 1UZ-FE V8 Auto, now for sale

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 4th surf View Post
    Got a few Coronas under my belt ATM but generally Toyotas Run the VSS from the speedo so you should be ok as that wiring is independant from everything else. Power in. earth then signal on a 4 pulse feed from the speedo
    JZA80 VVTi autos are an exception to the normal arrangement unfortunately!

The JZA80 VVTi factory arrangement (in autos) is as follows
    -2 wire speed sensor on auto gearbox (12 pulses / gearbox output shaft rev)
    -NO 3 wire speed sensor on auto gearbox
    -The factory engine ECU determines the speed from the 2 wire speed sensor
    -The factory engine ECU has a dedicated output pin that 'transmits' the determined vehicle speed to the dash (this signal looks the same as what would come from a 3 wire gearbox mounted speed sensor)

So if it were me, I'd prbly be reusing 3 of the 4 wires that went to the auto mounted 2 wire speed / positions sensors on the auto (the OD Direct Clutch sensor [NCO] and the Speed Sensor [SP2}) to connect the V16x 3 wire speed sensor. Or you could look at running new wires...

The 3 wire speed sensor usually wires as follows on the 90980-11555 Engine Loom to Body Loom Plug (Orange)
    wilbo666 2JZ-GE JZA80 Supra

Pin 2 = Output from the 3 wire speed sensor (Pin 3 on the 3 wire speed sensor) [Note, in the factory JZA80 VVTi auto arrangement this is the pin that takes the speed signal that is generated by the engine ECU on pin 25 of the 28 pin engine ECU plug (90980-11637) to the dash!] , reuse the SP2+ wire from the engine ECU plug [Pin 5 on 90980-11586 plug] (i.e. the old SP2+ wire would be disconnected form the engine ECU plug and go straight to the orange body loom plug).
    Pin 8 = Ground for 3 wire speed sensor (Pin 2 on the 3 wire speed sensor), reuse the SP- wire from the engine ECU plug [Pin 11 on 90980-11586 plug].
    Pin 23 = Power (+12V from IG fuse) for the 3 wire speed sensor (Pin 1 on the 3 wire speed sensor), reuse the NCO+ wire from the engine ECU plug [Pin 4 on 90980-11586 plug].

You'll want to send the output of the 3 wire speed sensor to the Vipec also and it looks like it expects it on pin 25 of the 28 pin engine ECU plug.

My suggested summary (more than one way to do it btw ):
    Pin 5 on 90980-11586 plug --> use as new 3 wire speed sensor signal output wire --> Pin 2 on 90980-11555 AND Pin 25 on 90980-11637 AND Pin 3 on the 3 wire speed sensor
    Pin 11 on 90980-11586 plug --> use as new 3 wire speed sensor ground --> Pin 8 on 90980-11555 AND Pin 2 on the 3 wire speed sensor
    Pin 4 on 90980-11586 plug --> use as new 3 wire speed sensor power --> Pin 23 on 90980-11555 AND Pin 1 on the 3 wire speed sensor

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Thanks alot wilbo you are an absolute legend.