Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 4M Troubles! :(

Junior Member Grease Monkey Brad-KE35's Avatar

Default 4M Troubles! :(

Hey guys,

I posted a thread awhile ago, asking for some help with my 4M in my MS85 Crown. It had been sitting around our farm for around a year as the fuel pump shit itself. Couple of months ago, I decided to go out and get it going, I went to the local wreckers and asked for a working fuel pump. So my old man and me put the fuel pump on, now he stuck it on like he normally does with a Holden, but it doesn't seem to be getting fuel to the carbie, so is there any different way to put them in? Also, we took the fuel pump to 2 places and they both said it was in working order. We have blown air thru the fuel lines to make sure there were no blockages, and dropped the stale fuel and poured some fresh stuff down it, still no luck.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Brad
    1977 Toyota Corolla KE35 - Undergoing 4AGTE transplant.
    1994 Ford Falcon Pedovan - Rape Dungeon

back into it Chief Engine Builder

Default Re: 4M Troubles! :(

pump wasnt flowing the wrong way{hoses wrong way round}, do they have a filter on the end of the pickup, carbie mesh filters clean, its mechanical isnt it? fuel in glass bowl? you taken line of carbie to see if it will pump to there?

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

can you hear it running when you turn the key?

i realise that its hard to tell when your starting the car, as the engine turning over is quite loud...

it may be the wiring, the old pump may have shorted and blown a fuse etc.

check its getting power before you start checking if its blocked etc.

that said, you could have the lines wrong way round.

Eldar.O.

Sleeper Central Backyard Mechanic Pure_In_Sanity's Avatar

I think you'll find the 4m has a mechanical fuel pump.

Take the line off the carby and see if there is fuel being pumped out of the hose whilst cranking the engine.

I checked my fuel lines with the ones in the 4M engine repair book and I'm 100% positive they are around the right way. It has a fuel filter on the inlet going into the fuel pump, I made sure it wasn't clogged. Yes It's a mechanical pump. Yes I have taken the line out of the carbie, and it isn't pumping up. I can't see any fuel in the carbie.

EldarO - I can't hear it running mainly because the motor is quite noisy when turning over. I'll get my brother to tell me if he hears anything. The pump is mechanical, but can you fit an electrical one easy?

Thanks for your replys guys,

I was just wondering if someone has a picture of there fuel pump and lines setup? For a 4M?

Bradelz

take the hose at the carbie end off , then fill it to the top{hose} with fuel.while you dad or someone turns it over, point away from face so you dont get it in you face if it does work! and see if its sucked back! unless it has a leak the only other thing is it is the wrong pump with to short a actuator arm so it isnt reaching to make the pump work properly! they might be the same pump in long and short arm actuators.
    ask you dad if there was any spring back against the pump when he put it on!

Thanks Kingmick, I will try that but any one else got there input on what could be wrong?

Today Im a Domestic Engineer Enchanter's Avatar

I started my paddock bomb 4m Corona Mk2 the other day, first time for about 9 months. The battery (charged) would have gone flat before the pump had received any fuel, I simply started it by pouring fuel down the carb then turned it over, after two goes the pump had received fuel and all was well.
    Perhaps a dry pump would have more trouble than a wet pump also ?

My old man said there was no spring back King. So that means we are putting it in wrong?

Enchanter: I squirted fuel down the inlet and outlet holes on the pump. Meaning it would lube inside and maybe bring the fuel up, still no avail. Thing is tho, when the old fuel pump shit itself the car was running fine, so we are either putting the pump on wrong or the carbie is goneski.

Thanks for the helpful replys.

Bradelz

JZ Powered Too Much Toyota EldarO's Avatar

how full is the tank aswell?

might want to fill it up some more, if its only 5 litres or so, youll have a harder time of getting it going...

pressurising the tank would help too id imagine, if you can somehow disconnect the return line and pressurise it that way...

this is puzzling man, if the pump is working, and the lines are free, are you sure the pump is getting anything...?

compressed air is avalible in a can, they use it to clean keyboards and stuff, if you dont have an air compressor handy, and check to see if it isnt blocked that way.

Eldar.O.

EldarO: There is about 10 litres in the tank, we hooked up a 12V air compressor, to the fuel line that runs from the tank to the fuel pump, and we heard it gargling inside. At this point in time I don't think the pump is getting anything, what I think "may" be the problem is we have stuck the fuel pump in the wrong way, but my dad only knows how to put them in a Holden, he doesn't know whether the Toyota's are different. Kingmick said did it have any spring back when putting it in, and my old man said it didn't so maybe he is doing it wrong.

Thanks Eldar.O.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad-KE35
    EldarO: There is about 10 litres in the tank, we hooked up a 12V air compressor, to the fuel line that runs from the tank to the fuel pump, and we heard it gargling inside. At this point in time I don't think the pump is getting anything, what I think "may" be the problem is we have stuck the fuel pump in the wrong way, but my dad only knows how to put them in a Holden, he doesn't know whether the Toyota's are different. Kingmick said did it have any spring back when putting it in, and my old man said it didn't so maybe he is doing it wrong.

Thanks Eldar.O.
    i should have mentioned if its on the flat side of the camlobe it wont push back but it would be a smaller chance of this, because the ramp has more duration.

Domestic Godess, NOT Domestic Engineer clubagreenie's Avatar

If you can put one in a holden you can do a 4m. Same basic setup. If there is no spring, turn engine by hand 1/4 turn and try again, if still nothing repeat. If can't get any resistance, wrong pump.

Compare lever to original? They are uually held by only a roll pin and could posibly be changed.
    Friends

ed_jza80 has not made any friends yet

potato Automotive Encyclopaedia joecoolmk2's Avatar

here's some pics of what the pump should look like, and where all the lines go.

also, usually the filter is after the pump, in my experience anyway.

beer me!

well done! +rep times ten if i had it to give!