Thread: DONOR CAR, What engine parts of what cars to make my 18rg EFI

Forum Member Grease Monkey

Lightbulb DONOR CAR, What engine parts of what cars to make my 18rg EFI

currently i have twin solexes on the 18rg

I am thinking of supercharging but need EFI to get the best results.

i am aware you can buy kits but which one to buy? , recommend one

or even better what cars can i raid to get the necessary parts to do the same job?,

I have searched through the forums including "for the love of the tracker engine" i have found i t difficult to sift through all the posts to find the info that require.

side note i need a low seat for my ra40 cos my head hits the roof, ideas?

Default Re: DONOR CAR, What engine parts of what cars to make my 18rg EFI

Get sport seats with low bases on them, I'm 6'3" and I fit in mine with them fine. As for injection, maybe retrofit 22RE injection or Megasquirt? Here's a cheap running 22RE
    Toyota Celica 22RE Motor | eBay

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

22RE injectors won't flow enough for boosted application. And if the port spacing on the head is different, the donor manifold & runners will require way too much machining and welding (unless you own a mill and can weld alloy).

Suggest you DIY the lot or find someone who's parting out an 18RG and just buy the intake manifold & fuel rail. You'll need larger injectors and probably throttle-body if going forced induction.

Don't expect a bolt-on kit for something this old.

megasquirt (thru DiYautotune) or adaptronic ECU would be ideal.

seats: RA65 seem to put your arse a bit lower in the RA40. You just have to flog out some of the mount holes to make them fit into the RA40 mounts.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

22RE injectors won't flow enough for boosted application. And if the port spacing on the head is different, the donor manifold & runners will require way too much machining and welding (unless you own a mill and can weld alloy).
    wouldn't an upgrade in injectors fix that as for the welding and milling no probs there

i like the 22re idea the only problem is i live in Townsville and that engine you thoughtfully suggested is in Sydney . i found a threat at work that looks good.

more info required tho

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/tec...ectrics-2.html

Don't expect a bolt-on kit for something this old.
    like an 18rg EFI manifold would be bliss i think i'm going to find it hard enough to find the 22re in Townsville with loom . I was discussing this problem with my fellow diesel mechanics at work , the suggestion of using throttle body injection off maybe a ea falcon , has anyone done this or similar. how many buckets of pus ea's do you see a a wreckers .... no pun and holden or fords racing just there is alot of them

Junior Member Too Much Toyota

throttle-body injection would be a bucket of puss - would steer clear of it.

If you can adapt the carbi mounts to a 22RE plenum/runners, you might be off to a good start tho injector mounts might be an issue. Larger injectors would get around fuel supply issues from 22RE injectors.

the 22RE ECU is AFM driven and would not fuel enough for any boosted application. Given that your end-game is supercharging you may as well wire it once rather than frankensteining 22RE wiring and ECU onto it and then chucking most of that once you boost it.

I vaguely recall seeing someone (not here) adapt the runners off an injected Ford motor (XF? i think) onto a megasquirted motor. They have a separate runner for each port, have the injector ports in the runners and bolt onto a low-mounted plenum. That era of ford EFI motors also have a handy idle-control valve (3 wire PWM device) and a decent sized throttle to donate.
    Last edited by thechuckster; 07-10-2011 at 02:14 PM.
    ------------------------------
    ST185 road barge / MZ11 forest barge / RA65 garage barge

any injection i choose will have an aftermarket computer, I can pretty much make the entire inlet manifold with injector ports myself . The reason i was looking at throttle body injection was because it was simple easy to install . Having a injector and throttle body in-place of a carbi with both linked together to one pipe so i can ram some air into it through a MAP or MAS with the oxygen sensor and throttle position sensor .

thoughts on that ?

looking at the 22re system looks good but still hard to find

I shipped a full motor from Perth to Sydney for $300, would be similar quote from Sydney to the Ville, and the engine's only $150 so far, I know how scarce parts are up there. And bugger you didn't have a WTB ad up for EFI gear, I just sold all mine

Car Butcher Carport Converter WDE_BDY's Avatar

I have an injected 18RG sitting in my shed, will have a look at how complete the injection setup is (pretty sure AFM is missing but won't need that with aftermarket computer). I am in NZ though.

Callum

all i need is the intake manifold with all the bells and whistles to inject the 18rg that i have just rebuilt , AN aftermarket computer will fix that AFM problem

side note good luck to the ALL BLACKS ..... from one kiwi to another

highly underrated Backyard Mechanic

ive got a full setup manifold ready to bolt on and an old dinosaur inject ecu but im still on the fence what im doing with mine atm
    RT104 with 4AGTE

Some assembly required

2004lowlux

ive got a full setup manifold ready to bolt on and an old dinosaur inject ecu but im still on the fence what im doing with mine atm

what options are you thinking for yours

highly underrated Backyard Mechanic

i could turbo it but given the work involved and the cost i may as well drop a 1g or a 1j in
    RT104 with 4AGTE

Some assembly required