Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Mega Supercharger 4AGZE thread, using twinscrew charger

AVGAS DRINKING Carport Converter 30psi 4agte's Avatar

Default The Mega Supercharger 4AGZE thread, using twinscrew charger

Teh Witzl's Edit:

This thread has been copied out of the old "breaking a 4agze piston/rod" thread, as it has gone down a new topic line that is definitely worth it's own dedicated thread.

This thread is now for discussing big supercharged 4A-GZE engine builds, in particular "Ronrob"s twinscrew setup.

Keep the talk alive kids
    Last edited by The Witzl; 16-05-2006 at 10:18 AM. Reason: cos

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: Breaking a GZE piston or rod

This is absolutely incouraging information 30psi. I had no idea exactly how robust and durable our 4a's are. Obviously tuning and intercooling plays a big part In reliablility, but it appears that if those areas are addressed the 4a can take alot. Are you using the Oil squirter block? I take it you are using Ae92 early pistons with Ae92 late rods. You mentioned low comp gze pistons and thicker Ae92 rods. Sorry for all the questions, I am trying to be clear on your setup.

Thanks
    Ron

RONROB

Nah they are the high comp pistons and matching rods.
    I just use a head gasket to bring the comp back down to 8:1

back into it Chief Engine Builder

so your using a 3mm copper gasket then! why not just a set of gze slugs?

Nah a 2mm HKS steel shim Job

They are GZE slugs.I use the high comp ones cos i like them better than the low comp ones

back into it Chief Engine Builder

i only asked because i thought when a cc'd mine it worked out 3mm to drop 8.9 down to 8. been awhile since i looked at it!lol now i think of it i think i took it down to 7.5. memories going!lmao
    i used a 3mm copper

Quote Originally Posted by 30psi 4agte
    Nah a 2mm HKS steel shim Job

They are GZE slugs.I use the high comp ones cos i like them better than the low comp ones
    Is there a reason as to why you like the high comps better. Also, I see you are using the largeport head any reasons why you have not chosen the small port and are you running the oil squirter block which matches your piston and rod combo?

Currently making 182kw with my small port Gze all supercharged, and looking to get to 200kw at the wheels and knowing how robust the 4a is, I am now only concerned with the tune at this point and insuring charge temps are down. I like to keep charge temps 40C and lower if possible.

Thanks
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by RonRob
    Is there a reason as to why you like the high comps better. Also, I see you are using the largeport head any reasons why you have not chosen the small port and are you running the oil squirter block which matches your piston and rod combo?

Currently making 182kw with my small port Gze all supercharged, and looking to get to 200kw at the wheels and knowing how robust the 4a is, I am now only concerned with the tune at this point and insuring charge temps are down. I like to keep charge temps 40C and lower if possible.

Thanks
    Ron
    182 kw supercharged? is this at the wheels??? If so thats an killer effort .
    What SC are you using?

Its just what came with the motor i bought. I do like their design better than the low comps better though ( just the ceramic coating etc)

There is two reasons for using the big port head.
    1. When i first started playing with 4age s i had a big port motor and ended up turboing that ( I broke everthing you can break!! ) Cause i ported the head i decided to use it on my GZE bottom end.

2. You cant beat flow!!!!!!!!!!!!! . I dont really care for response only power/top end so using the big port head was natural.
    The small port head is good dont get me wrong but it can become a restriciton at very high hp.

Junior Member Grease Monkey omy's Avatar

How are the std gze rods in a 200rwkw application?

Quote Originally Posted by 30psi 4agte
    182 kw supercharged? is this at the wheels??? If so thats an killer effort .
    What SC are you using?
    Yes that is at the wheels. I am using the Twinscrew supercharger and thanks for the kind words. 182kw at the wheels untuned. Hoping to get it tuned soon to get the curves better. Here is the last dyno plot

Ron

[QUOTE=RonRob]Yes that is at the wheels. I am using the Twinscrew supercharger and thanks for the kind words. 182kw at the wheels untuned. Hoping to get it tuned soon to get the curves better.

How much boost are you running to get 182 kw ? What are the specs of your engine ?

SC14'd Member Domestic Engineer nick.parker's Avatar

Hi Ron,
    Is this figure with the OA2087 Blower? I have heard this is good for about 200kW (engine), and looked at replacing my SC14 at one point with one.
    Cheers, Nick
    == 4AGZE SC14 Supercharged ==
    Now flogg'n the SC14 @ 18psi....

How much boost are you running to get 182 kw ? What are the specs of your engine ?[/QUOTE]

He is running 21 psi ( that is what he said earlier in this thread anyway )

182 with a S/C is Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet !

Yes, I am running 21 psi and hope to make about 200kw to the wheels once it gets tuned. I am using the .87L blower. I have developed a kit for the 4agze using a blower almost double the size of the .87 Kit will be capable of 225kw+ to the wheels as a bolt on w/o overspinning it. I am running small port gze with stock head and internals. Trd header and Air to Water intercooler with Twinscrew is all thats needed. Link engine management as well for the brains of the operation.

I have spent alot of R&D on the Twinscrew adapated to the 4agze. Not to discourage anyone, but these blowers are so delicate that if set up improperly will result in Blower failure. I have blown several blowers due to poor design. One of the reasons you do not see many people using them as they are not easy to implement. Hopefully there are some out there that will be interested in my bolt on kit because bottom line is if you blow a blower you have essentially paid for the kit when you buy the replacement and then fix the issue.

Thanks for the kind words
    Ron

SC14'd Member Domestic Engineer nick.parker's Avatar

Not to discourage anyone, but these blowers are so delicate that if set up improperly will result in Blower failure.
    So true. Talking to a guy from Sprintex recently, he said no bypass was a frequently cause, and usually resulted in a failure at cruise on the highway under vacuum condition (lots of heat generation causing intereference). Also the plate onto which you bolt the SC needs to be 'very' flat too. Even too much oil in the gearcase can lead to excessive temperature->expansion->interference issues.

Ron I beleive the OA2087 is a very nice size for a 4AGZE, if you are going to sell the kit, how many people will want the crazy power level? A bigger blower will have lower VE at the same rotational speed. And the speed of a bigger blower will be lower for the same boost, meaning unless you use your setup for that super high power level, the smaller blower will work better.

Cheers, Nick
    == 4AGZE SC14 Supercharged ==
    Now flogg'n the SC14 @ 18psi....