Thread: 18r to 22r convertion

Mud Mechanic 1st year Apprentice

Default 18r to 22r convertion

Hi all,
    Firstly the 18r to 22r conversion is by far the easiest and cheapest conversion to do to gain some noticeable power and economy.
    i own a 1982 Toyota hilux 4wd with a 18r engine & L40 gearbox (4 speed) the 18r has final died so i purchased a 22r and W50 5spd gearbox for $600 out of a running 1990 2x4 truck.
    I removed all the emissions gear to make it easier to install and ill be running a 32/36 dgv webber and they dont run too well with all that extra stuff on there.
    i have learned is that the 22r engine will bolt up to the L40 gearbox, the gearbox needs to have two locating pins drilled in to it first then it will bolt strait on.
    The electrics are simple, every wire removed from the 18r will connect back on to the 22r close to its original position.

The problem im having atm is mounting the engine
    the engine mounts from the 18r wont fit the 22r and the 22r engine mounts are too far back to fit the mounting block, did the make offset engine mounts or do i have to cut the mounting blocks off and re weld them in place???
    Last edited by Spanner; 16-09-2011 at 10:21 PM.
    *If It's Not Toyota, Its Not Tuff Enough*

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

Default Re: 18r to 22r convertion

not a direct answer but most 22R and 22RE block have two sets of mount points. I believe the other mounts were used when the engine was mounted in things like the RA65 Celica.

Else you may be looking at some fabrication

spank that naughty.. Grease Monkey

Default Re: 18r to 22r convertion

i cut and moved one mount on mine ( 18 r into 12 r lo lux ) on the drivers side i just drilled a hole for the celica engine mount locating pin to sit in
    the factory robot wasnt trying too hard so it was an easy remove, and with a bit of bending/bashing and folding the mount shorter the motor sits level with a spirit level
    and i had to pull the motor out to play with sumps any way
    black paint is your friend

hope this helps
    Remember this is a recreational activity ......

we got toys ! 83 lo lux in matte black..... amazingly 18 rg powered , one day it will run right !
    the dinosour 90 gsx r 750 with ohlins and yoshi , and the dirty little secret 125 vespa ,4 speed and kick start