Thread: 7age - Stroker kits, compression ratios, and piston deck height.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 7age - Stroker kits, compression ratios, and piston deck height.

EDIT: I worked it out finally, and I am currently exploring piston possibilities for the stroked 7age.. the only similar project I have found uses honda rods and CA18DET turbo pistons hmm.

I am currently building my first engine, a 7age, with the help of a mechanic relative, and I have been researching for ~ 4 months now, and I am beginning to get the specifics planned, such as static compression ratio etc.

I have sourced a custom made 135.5mm long set of stroker rods, with 45mm big ends (stroker kit, 3mm for bearings, so regrind 7afe crank to 42mm~ same as 4age and get balenced/nitrided(I think its called that? lol) ). I worked out stroke to be 91.5mm from 85.5mm.

I have a complete 4age smallport engine/c50 gearbox which I am using in addition to a working 7afe.

I was planning on using the stock smallport high comp pistons, but I can't figure out these goddamm deck height/clearances, in order to find the C/R, and since I need the 7afe for another month, I can't physically measure it. Any help? I found a few measurements but all conflicting and the numbers are screwing with my head xD.

I assume that increased stroke and increased rod length will mean I will need to use a thicker head gasket or lower comp piston? (at TDC it will come out further yeah?, 6mm since the stroke increase is 6mm and the rod is 3mm longer... (6/2)+3 at tdc?).

Little more info, 0.5mm trd hg, smallport 4AGE oem pistons stock bore, stroker rods, reground offset 7AFE crank for longer stroke (from 48 to 42).
    Last edited by undercoverninja; 03-09-2011 at 09:29 PM.

Default Re: 7age - Stroker kits, compression ratios, and piston deck height.

http://www.aeu86.org/viewtopic/ae86/p/123808

I found forged TRD pistons for racing application that fit within 0.5mm of the piston compression height I set out looking for... I am wondering how aquire these, and I am wondering at emissions legality and the effect of running race pistons on a non race engine :S.

SC14'd Member Domestic Engineer nick.parker's Avatar

I can see this was posted a while ago. However I'm interested in where you sourced the rods from.
    I recently have looked at the 7AFE stroker kit from Spool (http://www.spoolimports.com/spool-st...ool-7afe-7agze).

Its a shame their kit doesn't offer a 135mm rod option with custom pistons. The R/S ratio is worse than it needs to be on that kit, and is one the the reasons I would be reluctant to go for it. They are shortening the factory 7A rod length to 130.25mm and then using the 90mm stroke giving a rod ratio of 1.45:1 which is pretty bad.

Even if they had used the stroker pistons for 4AGE (+2mm pin) they could have used stock length 7A rods instead of shorter....it would have been a 'free' better rod ratio.

And as you've shown 1.5 : 1 is possible with the piston pin moved up 4.5mm. This is the same ratio used by one of the the 2.3 litre EVO stroker kits....

Under cover Ninja I beleive that if 4AG(Z)E pistons are used, the rod can be 0.5mm longer in a 7AFE still giving I think 0.2mm between deck and piston. So treat the rod as being 133mm, rather than 132.5mm (assuming you're getting custom rods and using stock pistons....).
    == 4AGZE SC14 Supercharged ==
    Now flogg'n the SC14 @ 18psi....

Forum Sponsor Domestic Engineer Bazda's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nick.parker View Post
    I can see this was posted a while ago. However I'm interested in where you sourced the rods from.
    I recently have looked at the 7AFE stroker kit from Spool (http://www.spoolimports.com/spool-st...ool-7afe-7agze).

Its a shame their kit doesn't offer a 135mm rod option with custom pistons. The R/S ratio is worse than it needs to be on that kit, and is one the the reasons I would be reluctant to go for it. They are shortening the factory 7A rod length to 130.25mm and then using the 90mm stroke giving a rod ratio of 1.45:1 which is pretty bad.

Even if they had used the stroker pistons for 4AGE (+2mm pin) they could have used stock length 7A rods instead of shorter....it would have been a 'free' better rod ratio.

And as you've shown 1.5 : 1 is possible with the piston pin moved up 4.5mm. This is the same ratio used by one of the the 2.3 litre EVO stroker kits....

Under cover Ninja I beleive that if 4AG(Z)E pistons are used, the rod can be 0.5mm longer in a 7AFE still giving I think 0.2mm between deck and piston. So treat the rod as being 133mm, rather than 132.5mm (assuming you're getting custom rods and using stock pistons....).
    Yea I was looking at that kit but realised the rod ratio is def not ideal.
    Best idea is to buy just the crank and get custom rods & pistons made. This is what I will be doing in the future.

Stock rod ratio is 1.55 (132.5 / 85.5)
    I got my rods custom made to 133mm long as the off the shelf pistons I had actually sat down the bore 0.7mm.
    So there is no reason why you could not make a 135mm rod - I can get these custom made very easily and for under $800.
    Custom made pistons might be a little more but still easily available from any of the leading brands if you gave them the specs - CP, JE, Wiseco etc
    Last edited by Bazda; 26-06-2012 at 08:01 AM.
    1988 Toyota Levin GTZ 10.88 @ 209.57 340kw
    Now 9AGTE 410kw atw
    www.mrpltd.co.nz - Manon Racing Products
    Turbonetics|Custom Coilovers|4/6 Piston custom brake kits|Twin/Triple custom clutch setups|+ MORE
    www.facebook.com/mrpltd - LIKE
    Check out the Toymods Sponsors section for Deals

Yep, I still have the rods sitting unfortunatly, student budget woo...

The ones I have are custom jobs, I cant remember who but it was a group effort/prototype that fell through, of 2 or more people on ae86drivingclub. I got the leftovers as they looked tasty, lol..

I could be wrong, but I think they were origionally intended as a long rod 4age or gte build. I'm considering using them as such anyway lol, the money involved in stroking a 7age gets very big very quickly.

Non qualified Domestic Engineer

Interesting about the rod to stroke ratio.
    What are the end results of it getting down to 1.45:1 and how much of an effect will it have on a road car with a lowish rev limit of 6500 to 7000rpm?
    Quote Originally Posted by oldcorollas
    except for a very few exceptions
    "Don't worry what people think, they don't do it very often."

Daily: Glorified Taxi (F6 Typhoon). Out Of Action: Twin-charged Adub. Ongoing Nightmare: Over re-engineered (not) Alfa Romeo 75.

Best idea is to buy just the crank and get custom rods & pistons made. This is what I will be doing in the future.
    Yes. My thoughts too. Would love to compare my current 4AGZE+SC14 setup to a 1.9litre, boost should drop down and whole setup should be more efficient and less stressed....
    What are the end results of it getting down to 1.45:1 and how much of an effect will it have on a road car with a lowish rev limit of 6500 to 7000rpm?
    There is plenty of anecdotal stuff out there. Longevity is compromised because of excessive sidewall loading (wear) and the engine will be rougher bringing the rev limit down due to less sinusoidal piston motion.....I wouldnt want go below 1.5 for a stroker, although truth be told I have no experience with, just a lot of reading on the geometry and side effects of rod/stroke.
    Last edited by nick.parker; 26-06-2012 at 06:01 PM.

Learner / modder / Backyard Mechanic PrettyCoolWagon's Avatar

Hmmm... never thought of this.. I bought spool rods in a moment of impulse.. assuming length would be same as stockies..
    So you guys are saying, they're different length than stock 7A rods?
    Might have to re-think comp ratio..
    How do I measure.. from what point to what point on the con-rod?
    4AFE/gearbox issues, 4AGT/ZE replacement changes to fully blown 7AGTE project...
    https://www.facebook.com/gerard.mang...1485304&type=3
    The Corolla 4WD fan club: https://www.facebook.com/Corolla.Ae95.4wd?ref=hl

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyCoolWagon View Post
    Hmmm... never thought of this.. I bought spool rods in a moment of impulse.. assuming length would be same as stockies..
    So you guys are saying, they're different length than stock 7A rods?
    Might have to re-think comp ratio..
    How do I measure.. from what point to what point on the con-rod?
    Don't stress its only the STROKER 7AFE rods that are shorter by 2.25mm (90mm-85.5mm)/2 , because of the 4.5mm longer stroke.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

I emailed spool

I had a customer in Russia who ordered numerous of these kits – he wanted to be able to use an off the shelf piston as the comp height of the piston is OEM.

Moving the pin 4.5mm will more than likely mean oil support rails will be required which isn’t a prob really.

I haven’t got around to changing the rod length and may at some point down the track.

Cranks are $1265 AUD

How did you know the kit uses 130.25mm c/c rods ?

Quote Originally Posted by shrike View Post
    How did you know the kit uses 130.25mm c/c rods ?
    I also emailed Spool

I also emailed Spool
    Have you heard back from them? I have contacted them about a 7AGE Stroker Kit but haven't heard a thing? Their site said they would contact within 24hrs or sooner been way over that.
    Just wondering.
    thanks wd

Forum Sponsor Domestic Engineer Bazda's Avatar

We are now in the works to building the stroker 7age kit.

Which will keep the rod/stroke ratio at 1.55:1

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...05#post1478105
    1988 Toyota Levin GTZ 10.88 @ 209.57 340kw
    Now 9AGTE 410kw atw
    www.mrpltd.co.nz - Manon Racing Products
    Turbonetics|Custom Coilovers|4/6 Piston custom brake kits|Twin/Triple custom clutch setups|+ MORE
    www.facebook.com/mrpltd - LIKE
    Check out the Toymods Sponsors section for Deals

Learner / modder / Backyard Mechanic PrettyCoolWagon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bazda View Post
    We are now in the works to building the stroker 7age kit.

Which will keep the rod/stroke ratio at 1.55:1

http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/sho...05#post1478105
    ..Find a need and fill it .... well done Bazda... this attitude should see MRP in business for a long time to come...
    4AFE/gearbox issues, 4AGT/ZE replacement changes to fully blown 7AGTE project...
    https://www.facebook.com/gerard.mang...1485304&type=3
    The Corolla 4WD fan club: https://www.facebook.com/Corolla.Ae95.4wd?ref=hl