Thread: 2M carb linkage / pump plunger question

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default 2M carb linkage / pump plunger question

Hi TM,
    Can anyone shed a bit of light on my 2M carb linkage here?

The pump plunger action doesn't seem to be hooked up correctly. I'm undoing a previous owner's tinkering, so I don't really know how it was set up originally. I've got the 2M engine manual, and as far as I can tell everything is hooked up as it should be, but this means the pump plunger action on the carb is close to nil.

example: when the throttle is open fully, the spring is compressed, and the plunger doesn't move:

when the throttle is closed, the spring is uncompressed, and the plunger is still in the same spot.

It's only the spring on the pump plunger linkage that moves, and not the pump. You'd think that there should be some sort of washer on the linkage to get the pump to move, but that's not how it looks in the engine manual, and there's no pinch points on the linkage that look like this existed already.

This is a 1970 2M carb. I have a 1974 4M carb as well, and the linkage there is different: the rod is at a 90º angle at the end, and the plunger moves a lot when the throttle moves.

Any hints on this one?
    81 BJ42, 70 MS55
    ex: RK41 Stout, MS55 Crowns, TE25, TE27 Corollas, RT85 Corona, MX20 Mark II, FJ40, BJ40, BJ60 Land Cruisers.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 2M carb linkage / pump plunger question

Looks like the same setup as the 18R carby. The spring tension should be enough to push the accelerator pump arm up. The pump arm might be tight at the pivot point or the plunger might be jammed in its bore if it has been sitting for a while. Can you move the pump arm up and down with your hand. It should be easy to move.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Default Re: 2M carb linkage / pump plunger question

Quote Originally Posted by Dazza View Post
    The pump arm might be tight at the pivot point or the plunger might be jammed in its bore if it has been sitting for a while. Can you move the pump arm up and down with your hand. It should be easy to move.
    Ah, I didn't know that should be enough to do it - ya, it is pretty snug in there; it's also pretty dry - has been sitting for quite awhile. Thanks!
    81 BJ42, 70 MS55
    ex: RK41 Stout, MS55 Crowns, TE25, TE27 Corollas, RT85 Corona, MX20 Mark II, FJ40, BJ40, BJ60 Land Cruisers.