Thread: 1JZ-GTE [JZX110/JZS171] MAF issue

C2H5OH Powered Automotive Encyclopaedia George's Avatar

Default 1JZ-GTE [JZX110/JZS171] MAF issue

Hi All! In short, I wonder how to run late production 1JZ-GTE with air filter other than stock, and retain stock ECU. Late 1JZ-GTE's come with new type of MAF that is to be inserted into slot in air filter. (MAF looks pretty much same as vvti 2jz-gte part, though its cat. # is different)

In details. I swapped JZS171 engine in some other car. Unfortunately the 1jz-gte came without stock air filter, so I had to make a special part, kind of pipe to accomodate JZS171 MAF. I ordered brand new JZS171 MAF at local Toyota dealer.

Pipe's diameter equals to that of JZS171's air filter outlet, the MAF is perfectly centered, no air leaks, flow direction is right as well.

Car has poor driveability (it can only slightly outrun 1jz-ge equipped cars), Toyota scanner gives bad MAF readings. The MAF is brand new one. It's surely the custom MAF pipe that spoils the party.

Sophisticated aftermarket solutions exist (JZX110 Apexi air intake kit to name one), however they cost too much and I don't need filters that are worth most of kit's price.

Can anyone recommend something to solve my problem? For example, right type of aftermarket MAF pipe sold around for under $150 usd, or some drawing, or anything :-) I wish to leave the engine completely stock for now except for air filter body - I can't get it anywhere for reasonable price.

p/s I've noticed that even rotating my custom MAF assembly (MAF inserted in my pipe adapter) makes the engine run different. I completely misunderstand any physics behind this, given that my MAF adapter just copies stock air filter pipe.
    Last edited by George; 25-08-2011 at 01:57 PM.
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301
    Engine conversion is when you drive a shitbox which costs a whole LEXUS to own

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic manny's Avatar

Default Re: 1JZ-GTE [JZX110/JZS171] MAF issue

Consider trying what Bill did on his 3SGE with similar driveability issues to identify the problem - bottom of this page
    Bill Sherwood's AE-86, 3SGE conversion page
    GSE20 IS250 - daily
    UZZ30 Soarer - 1UZ-FE/R154/Adaptronic - trackday roughie
    UZZ32 Soarer - Active Hydropneumatic Suspension (A-SUS) & Active Four Wheel Steering (A-4WS) - cruiser

manny thanks heaps, that must do it! Still can't figure out how straws helped Bill, but overall concept of straightening the airflow seems to be the idea.
    USSR GAZ24 with 1UZ-FE VVTi (UCV24) http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/showthread.php?t=60301

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

the standard toyota airbox has a simmiler idea but only 2 vertical and 2 horizontal straightners , I have come to this problem before and tend to cut the first section of airbox off to keep the factory design.
    Dave

cambelt could you take a photo of inside of your part some day?
    I can't find stock air box anywhere locally.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

Hey george , Im not up to date with loading pics up .
    Have a look at yahoo japan . i just saw a 3uz airbox with 1 vertical and 1 horizontal straightener.
    I have a 3uz afm in my hand and the air goes up the tube and then down the other side over the hot wires then out, but theres a round hole at the base of the sensing bit that im guessing is a venturi to help pull the air thru.
    Dave

Junior Member Grease Monkey

is it different to the jzx100 afm?

cambelt thanks anyway ;-)
    Indelible yes, as per my starting post you have to make some pipe to insert jzx110 afm into, from side.

Think I will try to copy some aftermarket pipe. Some guy at our local JZX100/110 boards is going to lend me one for a day.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

sorry to bring back this thread to life, but i am going through the same problem. what i need to know is the toyota part number for the stock MAF sensor for jzs171. it would be great if someone can help??

regards,
    shezy

Is a Chief Engine Builder wilbo666's Avatar

If you google "Toyota EPC" there are a few websites that you can use to look up part numbers!

I get the part number for the JZS171 MAF to be 22204-46020.

e.g. EPC Website

Cheers
    Wilbo
    Wilbo's Wiki (Includes 2JZ-GTE Wiring, etc! )

Wilbo's JZA80
    Wilbo's JZZ12

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

this exact scenario is addressed in my video here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIKs5OyyEN4

i have a 171 engine in my IS200 (simple conversion it's not even funny)..

however i do not have any type of horrible driving you are talking about.. only a slight idle after a throttle blip.. as in upon return to idle it 'almost' stalls..

for $28 AU i ordered (from Merica) an AFM straightner which i press fitted into the front of the alloy housing i made.. there was almost no difference in part throttle, however on full throttle 'boost' cut was now evident.. even as low as 10psi.. so i removed it, now runs 15-16psi all day long no boost cut, had it on the dyno to make sure mixtures were good, did various part throttle and cruise and it seemed within normal.. WOT power runs made 236rwkw on 15.5psi with AFR's just under 11. Stock ecu, stock injectors, stock fuel reg.

i also replaced my AFM with the denso cross reference (many retailers whom i gave the 22204-46020 part number to advised that this is obsolete) to 22680 AA310, which is common as anything, found on lots of subaru, mazda and toyota. i was running the proper AFM as a made has the same setup in his IS200 (i bought a complete motor/loom/ecu, but no AFM!) and using the 22204-46020 vs the 22680-AA310 did not change anything in my setup.

with the air straightener - you could always try adding a longer length of ducting infront of the AFM - i have heard that different air filter setups on Altezza's (similar AFM housing) work better than others for this 'straight' air reason.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by mattysshop View Post
    this exact scenario is addressed in my video here -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIKs5OyyEN4

i have a 171 engine in my IS200 (simple conversion it's not even funny)..

however i do not have any type of horrible driving you are talking about.. only a slight idle after a throttle blip.. as in upon return to idle it 'almost' stalls..

for $28 AU i ordered (from Merica) an AFM straightner which i press fitted into the front of the alloy housing i made.. there was almost no difference in part throttle, however on full throttle 'boost' cut was now evident.. even as low as 10psi.. so i removed it, now runs 15-16psi all day long no boost cut, had it on the dyno to make sure mixtures were good, did various part throttle and cruise and it seemed within normal.. WOT power runs made 236rwkw on 15.5psi with AFR's just under 11. Stock ecu, stock injectors, stock fuel reg.

i also replaced my AFM with the denso cross reference (many retailers whom i gave the 22204-46020 part number to advised that this is obsolete) to 22680 AA310, which is common as anything, found on lots of subaru, mazda and toyota. i was running the proper AFM as a made has the same setup in his IS200 (i bought a complete motor/loom/ecu, but no AFM!) and using the 22204-46020 vs the 22680-AA310 did not change anything in my setup.

with the air straightener - you could always try adding a longer length of ducting infront of the AFM - i have heard that different air filter setups on Altezza's (similar AFM housing) work better than others for this 'straight' air reason.
    thanks mate,

actually i have seen this video before when i was trying to find videos related to my problem on youtube. the main problem is that i have a different AFM, its not the one you have in the video, mine one is round and bigger than this one. and its part number is 22250-20010 and 22250-20020 , i have two AFMs laying around and both works on my engine, however i am not sure if these AFMs need the air straighteners or not?

do you have any idea on the fuel pressure issue?? why it drops dramatically on boost?

Jack of all trades Automotive Encyclopaedia mattysshop's Avatar

if your fuel pressure drops dramatically when it sees boost - i would be looking at the fuel pump.