Thread: 7M into MS65 Crown?

Forum Member

Default 7M into MS65 Crown?

Hi, first post and all, looking for some help. I have looked everywhere on the forums, but can't see anyone who has done / recommends / warns against a 7M and auto in an MS65 Crown.

I have 2 x 7Ms available (one rebuilt after BHG etc) in running MX83 Cressidas and a Crown with 4M and 4 speed manual. I love the Crown, but retired it after a year of rego and daily driving to fix some rust, and think about some 'options'.

I have no real idea about the potential grief or cost, but if an engine and driveline swap (oh, and power steering!) can be economical, the plan is for a VIP style Crown with a touch of Tokyo pimping.

My resources are as follows: plenty of dry, indoor space; no experience in Toyota/front mounted/liquid cooled engine swaps (yep, only old VWs!); located in inner Sydney; willing to pay for help &/or pro services that can do for a quoted price (too used to DIY to just hand over the chequebook); OR...forget about it, sell all 3 'doner' cars, and work on the MS4x sedan and ute that I have.

I hope I have added enough info for a reasonable response, and would appreciate any any input per my parameters. Thanks in advance, Toy Modders.

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

Default Re: 7M into MS65 Crown?

4m to 7m sounds too easy - just bolt work
    how much do you know about multimeters and wiring looms?
    2009 aurion
    Purple 2000 Hilux - 1UZ

assembly is just the opposite of disassembly - just you swear in different spots!

Forum Member

M.Meter and looms?...don't know much, a quick leaner tho ;-)

Has anyone done the 4M to 7M before?

Former User Conversion King Joshstix's Avatar

I'd advise having a chat with TheStitt. From memory he did the conversion from 4M to 7M on his MS53.

Speaking generally it will be the "small" things that cause the most trouble/cost. Things like running an EFI fuel system, wiring, fluid reservours etc.

You should be able to adapt the standard MS65 T-bar shifter to run the late model gearbox easily enough. Not too sure what radiator you'll need. The standard MS65 powersteering box should work fin with the 7M power steering pump.

Forum Member

Thanks. I'll PM him.

Junior Member Conversion King TheStitt's Avatar

Hey Vince

I have done a 2M 4 speed to 4m W50, to 7M W58, to 7MGTE W58, to 7MGTE with micro tech & 4 speed Auto. All in the same MS53

4M to 7M is "bolt in" with a G/box x memeber mod for the MS53 6X I believe it just bolts in.
    I am running a MS65 centre console and Shifter with my A340 on this current build, So that is posible.

Mate a little flat out atm and few words spoken are quicker than the few typed, give me a buzz on 0401624192 to chat or are you able to wait a few days or so for a long reply.

Stitt
    ST177 UZS131 Crown Royal 'G' the pimping limo like daily 1UZFE 144rwkw

DST17T MS53 68 Crown Custom Wagon 7MGTE 266rwkw

Forum Member

Thanks for the reply, Stitt. Likewise am flat out, but I'll call you when I have 2 minutes. I appreciate your time.