Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LSD into T series diff?

Nothing but a Backyard Mechanic caam's Avatar

Default LSD into T series diff?

hi guys, might seem like abit of a noob question but here goes,

I have a 2tg ta23 with T series diff - the diff has a bit of a whine and knocks occasionally.
    I also have a rebuilt 2-way LSD ready and waiting, what would need to be done / changed to fit the LSD. Will i need to buy new bearings to suit the lsd? I don't particually know alot about differentials and your help would be great

cheers cameron

Junior Member Grease Monkey tojo's Avatar

Default Re: LSD into T series diff?

Id find a T diffhead in decent shape (no traces of metal in oil) to get the lsd put into and then change the complete head.

Needs to be setup by someone who knows what theyre doing.

Your old whiny knocker could probably be rebuilt but maybe not worth it
    KE17 TE38 KE35 KP61 KZN130

Hi
    The lsd is already in a diff head, i forgot to add that to the information, will it just be a bolt in thing then? I dont know a whole lot about diffs, but i like learning these sorts of things and would like to do it myself if thats possible?
    Cheers

Traditionalist Domestic Engineer parrot's Avatar

It's a simple bolt in, AS LONG as your diff centre is a small axle centre and not a large axle centre.

No doubt your centre is an AE86 item, for which there were two different diameter axle sizes.

Fingers crossed!
    Cam mountain I feel different from the ordinary

Junior Member Grease Monkey tojo's Avatar

Think I read something about T series non lsd axels beeing longer than the TRD lsd axels

so your axels may need cutting off about 5mm. Its just a faint memory tho but

worth looking into / keeping in mind
    KE17 TE38 KE35 KP61 KZN130

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

How do you go about getting these LSD centre's for the T series diffs?? order from j-pan or store or just keep an eye out for ae86 lsd diff centre's???

Anybody know the right diametre for ta22 axels??
    >>>>>Proud owner of a TA22 and RA65<<<<<

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

ta22mods. I bought mine off ebay out of memory about $386AU with postage and also bought lsd rebuild kit from another seller. The Zenki type is the small axle which my TA22 has. Total cost for rebuilt centre & bearings etc, which I did myself, with lapped gears was $740.
    If you need to know more just ask. I won't be reachable till sunday night though.

Junior Member Grease Monkey 13btt lotus's Avatar

caam,

to fit the diff into the RA23/28 you need to shorten one of the shafts by a couple of mm. its all setup to be bolted in, but the shaft will deff need to be shortened or you will stuff the diff when you tighten up the bolts on the shaft bearing housing thing....

ive got some photos of whats needed, email me next week to remind me and i will send them to you

im not sure if its the same as the diff in the ta23?? its def different to the ta22 one if that helps?? the ta22 has smaller diameter shafts, the diff is set up for the stronger shafts (i believe similar to the AE86)

that diff you have has brand new parts and professionally setup already to go into my old car...

Junior Member Grease Monkey 13btt lotus's Avatar

just had a thought, pull one of the shafts out of my current car an compare them tot he shafts in ur ta23, that should tell u if they are the correct shaft spline size...

Cheers for that nathan,
    will have a look on next weekend. i do believe my ta23 has the same diff as your old ra23.
    Would be sweet if you could email me those photos when you've got a chance, along with the central locking diagram from the ra23 if you can find it?
    cheeers

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

G'day,

I have done this twice, both times I shortened the axles by about 5mm and have had no problems.

The diff noise that you are noticing is likely the wheel bearings on the axles, so they are probably worth doing at the same time. Next time I will pay to get these done as the collars suck to get on!

- wal

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Quote Originally Posted by 13btt lotus View Post
    caam,

to fit the diff into the RA23/28 you need to shorten one of the shafts by a couple of mm. its all setup to be bolted in, but the shaft will deff need to be shortened or you will stuff the diff when you tighten up the bolts on the shaft bearing housing thing....

ive got some photos of whats needed, email me next week to remind me and i will send them to you

im not sure if its the same as the diff in the ta23?? its def different to the ta22 one if that helps?? the ta22 has smaller diameter shafts, the diff is set up for the stronger shafts (i believe similar to the AE86)

that diff you have has brand new parts and professionally setup already to go into my old car...
    I thought these aftermarket LSD diff's were setup so you didn't need to shorten the axles. If using a TRD one, then definately yes, shorten one of them (can't recall which one) but if using a KAZZ or a TOMEI (in my case) i was led to believe they were bolt on's.

How does the axle stuff the diff centre, if not shortened?

Plus the early model T series diff's (commonly used in TA22's) has same size axle diametre as the later model xA23/28 diff, where the shaft slides into the diff, but the axles diameter differ at the bearing side with the early diff's taking a 62mm bearing and the later taking a 72mm bearing. I've just been all through this with my diff upgrading to disc's.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer 71TA22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hks7mgt View Post
    I thought these aftermarket LSD diff's were setup so you didn't need to shorten the axles. If using a TRD one, then definately yes, shorten one of them (can't recall which one) but if using a KAZZ or a TOMEI (in my case) i was led to believe they were bolt on's.

How does the axle stuff the diff centre, if not shortened?
    On factory T series LSD's the clutch action will push on the end of a standard length axle shaft forcing the shaft outwards - result is broken wheel bearings.

Vehicles with factory LSD's had slightly shorter axle shafts (by about 5mm) to save this happening.
    Mike
    71 TA22

My Car

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Thanks 71ta22. do you know which side needs shortening (or is it both)?

Still, can anyone confirm when using aftermarket LSD's (other than TRD units) whether they compensated for this in the diff, elievating the need to shorten the axle(s)?? I was under this belief and would like to know cause i'm going to fit a TOMEI to my later model T series diff housing.

Junior Member Domestic Engineer 71TA22's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hks7mgt View Post
    Thanks 71ta22. do you know which side needs shortening (or is it both)?

Still, can anyone confirm when using aftermarket LSD's (other than TRD units) whether they compensated for this in the diff, elievating the need to shorten the axle(s)?? I was under this belief and would like to know cause i'm going to fit a TOMEI to my later model T series diff housing.
    Both axles are shorter for factory T (and D) LSD than those from an open diff car.

Email TOMEI to find out?
    Mike
    71 TA22

My Car