Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LSD into T series diff?

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default Re: LSD into T series diff?

Thanks J-M kujala, at least this means the axles are okay. I'll chase down some additive. I searched online and Cusco and Tomei sell 'special formula' gear oils but they are 80W-90.

That castrol grade 75W-140 is a far bit off. What is the difference i'll notice there? I used the Penrite Heavy Duty 80W-90 LSD oil (what ever that means). I need to learn more about gear oils...

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic J-M kujala's Avatar

Castrol Saf-Xj 75-140 oil got wider temperature range than 80-90, 80-90 is inside that range. i still recommend to use this Castrol, it have already enough LSD additive in it.. that oil will work better in really hot and really cold than 80-90. 80-90 is mineral and 75-140 is Fully synthetic. also this Castrol got that high pressure additive in it (enough)

I got Kaaz in my celica, and it never work properly with Kaaz oil, there was snapping noise just like what you had (it work when rear was cold). had to add some LSD additive more. also TRD in my carina, both 6.7" that Castrol just beat those old mineral oils... work always and really smooth !!
    - Celica TA-22 -74 2T-G Turbo
    - IQ 1.0 -09
    - Lexus IS250 -06

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

hks7mgt. I finally fitted my oem rebuilt centre to my TA22 yesterday. I put re-lapped gears and a clutch rebuild kit I bought from US. Clutch packs were 0.2 to 0.25mm thicker than stock items. My lsd is smaller Zenki type. I had to put axles in centre, sitting on floor, and measure inside of axle bearing to inside of axle bearing and found had to cut 5.5 to 6mm from each axle, when measured inside diff housing. Which gave approximately 1 to 1.5mm clearance at each axle.
    I use Nulon 80/90 LSD oil with no noises, even when cornering hard into driveway etc.

Also anybody know spline dia for AE86 Kouki axles?

glad to hear it worked out for you.

i ended up using several diff oils before i found the Nulon 80-90 Synthetic. It helped a great deal!

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic

As I said in prior post I fitted my oem ae86 lsd. I jacked up rear of car late sunday and turned one wheel and other turned in same direction as it should.
    But when i jack up one side with car in neutral the raised wheel spins with minimal effort. Is this right?
    I have read elsewhere on the net that some lsd's need torque/ resistance applied to work, is the ae86 this type.
    I have dealt with Borg Warner Lsd's, cone type, and they take about 60lbsft to turn.

Junior Member Grease Monkey stealth's Avatar

Hey sorry to dig up an old thread, but does most of the T series LSD centre fitment apply to IRS models too?

I have an SA63 Celica with a T292 and IRS, would one of these aftermarket centres (truetrac, TRD etc) fit my diff?
    JZA63 Celica 13.9 @ 162km/h

Not sure, but i think yes, with small thinking, atleast lock grooves tothe half shafts had to be made.

7.5" i have install, had make lock grooves to C clips that half shafts kept in place. IRS LSD unit are easyer to install to solid axle.
    - IQ 1.0 -09
    - Lexus IS250 -06

Since this thread has reborn, I'll mention that since my diff got rebuilt, I'm using Nulon heavy duty 140 synthetic oil and the diff is quiet as a mouse. Had a few track experiences with no issues.

I may have mentioned this, but the diff guy mentioned I should run more oil so I learnt that lifting the diff from under the right shock mount will tilt the diff enough to allow an extra 600ml of oil (mt Franklin water bottle). This important if your on the track.

Yeap, extra oil is must, if gonna keep gears in good condition. IRS diffs do not need extra oil.
    - IQ 1.0 -09
    - Lexus IS250 -06

Does anyone know where to get a rebuild kit; clutch packs etc, for the TRD LSD Zenki.
    Thanks

There is not parts that wear "to much" and need replacing. Just re shim the clutch pack. But still new is new, but oil means a lot !!!

Unless youre friction discs are damaged !!
    - IQ 1.0 -09
    - Lexus IS250 -06

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

Thread revival because LSD fitment in T series gold is here.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.

MR 18RG Chief Engine Builder The Witzl's Avatar

Yep - i'll echo Rod.

In summary, the correct information is:
    • Factory Toyota LSD centres need to have axles shortened 6mm
    • TRD, Kaaz, Tomei, etc aftermarket units DO NOT need axles shortened
    • For celicas, you need a "Zenki" AE86 LSD centre
    • The correct oil to use with TRD, Kaaz, etc is Castrol Syntrax 75W140 Limited Slip...... but this is very hard to source in Australia
    • Alternative oil is Castrol Syntrax 80W140 Limited Slip oil.... so far seems to work very well

There is about to be 3 of us with classic celicas (2x TA22 and 1x RA23) fitted with TRD centres....
    ...... butt scratcher?!

I'm running Nulon Heavy Duty LSD 140 Full Synthetic gear oil with the Tomei 2 way and all shuddering went away immediately. Its survived multiple track days and other events without issue and Nulon products are available at Repco and other common Australian retail outlets as well.

http://www.nulon.com.au/products/Gea...fferential_Oil
    Last edited by hks7mgt; 21-03-2017 at 11:27 AM. Reason: included which diff centre

Toymods Vice President Chief Engine Builder TheToyman75's Avatar

The Castrol Syntrax 80W140 Limited Slip oil has so far served me well. The TRD LSD went in for the trip to Toyota Nationals and didn't miss a beat for the travel or in the Drags or Motorkhana. It took the Clutch kicks during the Khana and some high RPM launches in the drags even with my Semi Slick tyres.
    1971 2T-B Celica TA22 ST.
    1973 2T-G Celica TA22, aka "The Unicorn".
    1975 2T-G Celica TA27 GT
    1976 2T-G Celica TA23, aka "The Colonel".
    1985 3F Auto FJ62 Landcruiser
    1989 7M-GTE MA70 Supra, aka "The Poopra"

History: Rods Classic Celica Sampler thread.