Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LSD into T series diff?

Junior Member Backyard Mechanic J-M kujala's Avatar

Default Re: LSD into T series diff?

i have install TRD / Kaaz and some other LSD not know the brand. and aftermarket LSD units never had issue with to long half shafts. only with OEM LSD those lsd units are made to fit with non lsd spline axles, and they are built at different style.

6MM is safe to shorten with oem LSD unit, then the lsd centerpiece wont hit to half shaft when LSD unit is worn, with 5mm it can do that... but always tolerances at diff housing and what gear ratio etc... easy to install to housing and take a measure and left some tolerance

im 99.5% sure that with tomei lsd it is bolt on without modifications.
    - Celica TA-22 -74 2T-G Turbo
    - IQ 1.0 -09
    - Lexus IS250 -06

Junior Member Grease Monkey

tomei don't have a part listed for the early celica's so right up wouldn't provide any advice.

i emailed kaaz on the other hand and they had this to say;
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaaz USA
    Thanks for your inquiry.
    Our units does not require trimming the axle 5mm when fitted to an AE86.
    I have done one install on an early Celica long time ago and I don't recall trimming the shaft so
    I don't think trimming is necessary on the Celica axles too.
    and with the comments of J-M kujala, i'm confident i'll be alright

Does anyone know the specific lengths of the LSD and non LSD axle. Yous have got me a lil worried now cause I gotta fit a trd unit. Lol
    Cheers
    Craig
    Te71 Corolla Levin, Blacktop 20v
    Te71 Corolla Levin ex Rally Car 2tg.
    Te71 Corolla Hardtop 2dr Sedan, 2tg/3t waiting
    Ke70 Corolla 4dr Sedan
    Ae86 Corolla sprinter 4ac
    Corolla Feind

Quote Originally Posted by cooter View Post
    Does anyone know the specific lengths of the LSD and non LSD axle. Yous have got me a lil worried now cause I gotta fit a trd unit. Lol
    Cheers
    Craig
    Aftermarket LSD:s can use with long or short spline axles ... also TRD TRD is made to fit with with long and short... like KAAZ also.
    - IQ 1.0 -09
    - Lexus IS250 -06

Junior Member Domestic Engineer 71TA22's Avatar

If its any help here's a photo showing factory TA22 axle shafts - for LSD on the right.

Mike
    71 TA22

My Car

Quote Originally Posted by J-M kujala View Post
    6MM is safe to shorten with oem LSD unit, then the lsd centerpiece wont hit to half shaft when LSD unit is worn, with 5mm it can do that... but always tolerances at diff housing and what gear ratio etc...
    As J-M kujala said above. i always heard of 5mm but 6mm should do the trick.

I spoke to one of the sprinter boys and the OEM (TRD/Toyota) LSD units also use shortened axles. This specific dude was back yard rallying sprinters and has a contact in the KAAZ factory too.

Quote Originally Posted by hks7mgt View Post
    As J-M kujala said above. i always heard of 5mm but 6mm should do the trick.

I spoke to one of the sprinter boys and the OEM (TRD/Toyota) LSD units also use shortened axles. This specific dude was back yard rallying sprinters and has a contact in the KAAZ factory too.
    with TRD no needed , only with AE86 / TA22GT / TA12 GT OEM LSD unit. many times guys mixt them up, because sometime TRD shops sells repairkits and maybe stiffer springs to oem LSD.... also here in Finland Toyota Racing shop rebuilt these oem LSD:s years a go and shim them, so it happen that guys speaks and dont really know what they had ...
    - IQ 1.0 -09
    - Lexus IS250 -06

aah, i gotch-ya. OEM and TRD are different!

I'll keep that in mind. Thanks for your input in this.

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

I agree that an after market LSD for a T series diff with the smaller axle diameter can be used in the TA-22, TA-23, RA-23/28 diff and the AE-86/T-18 Diff but these later Corollas have a wider diff than the Celicas.
    The axles may well protrude further into the Celica diff centres than the longer Corolla ones in the wider T series diff. Hence the posibility of confusion arriving when suppliers say "can be directly installed into the AE-86 T series diff" and so they believe it can be installed into the Celica diff. Perhaps the supplier needs to listen to the question and not for the detail about it being a T series diff.

Only way to know is to install it all up, making sure as you tighten up the axle bearing plates they do not stop short of closing the gap to the housing indicating that the axle does not go in any further. Then turn the axles, remove and check for binding marks. Make measurements and cut, preferably not with a grinder but lathe or slow speed cut off wheel and cooling fluid.

Again, as with T series gearboxes, Toyota should have left the T series diff name and created another series for the wider diff with the bigger axle bearings to help us reduce our confusion. Then they went and changed the T series again adding a larger axle spline size requiring another diff centre. Great at the time but stuffs us now.

Regards

Rodger

So if one was to cut thier axles anyway, is it a bad thing (if using a diff centre not requiring the shorter axles)? just for peace of mind

I even do the dishes as Domestic Engineer Rodger's Avatar

No need to cut if they clear. So measurement is the only way to be sure.

You could place both axles in, measure the distance between the ends of the axles, measure the distance across the inside of the diff cluster where the two axles would slide in and work out what the gap is. It would appear a safe gap is 5-6mm for each axle so if the difference measured is 10-12mm total then you have clearance.

Maybe though there is another issue with all these LSDs? The cluster packs may not all sit in the middle between the axle ends. Some may be offset, through design, to one side and give you the issue with having to shorten one axle and not the other.

Regards
    Rodger

Zenki & Kouki AE86 TRD LSD:s are same !! just like OEM Toyota TA22 and kouki ae86 stock diffs are the same, only side gears are different, same thing in KAAZ...

but that side to side, littlebit depends at gear ratio, and some aftermarket ring pinion kits go littlebit off at center.. i have never measure more than one millimeter. but tolerances from housings, bearings etc... better to measure clearance than broke...
    - IQ 1.0 -09
    - Lexus IS250 -06

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

I thought had to cut axles (as they said all), but it was not necessary. As says J-M Kujala, I installed in my TA23 a lsd Zenki TRD and it was not necessary to cut axles.

J-M Kujala is absolutely right.

Regards,
    Gerardo

so i fitted my TOMEI lsd into the large bearing T diff housing and it seems to be making a clunking noise at times when performing a slow speed u-turn or driving through a tight round-about.

listen to it here

Is this the result of not shortening the axles (as i didn't)? I rang a shop and they said its normal for a highly wounded diff to make clunking noises and recommended using a LSD additive to assist with the engaging of the clutch.

I dunno - it sounds like something is banging its way out. I recal someone mentioning here that they blew out bearings as a result of using longer axles where short ones should have been used. What do you think guys?

Stop Driving !!! soon you had metal in the oil, or snap something !!

you`re problem is "Wrong" oil, there is no enough LSD stuff

you may had LSD oil, what are usually used with stock LSD:units, usually they do not work in 6.7" aftermarket "tight" LSD units. they start to bang !!

Castrol Saf-Xj 75-140 is the best oil what i have found, and never bang with KAAZ / Cusco / TRD. and work smooth and properly.

second option is buy LSD additive oil treatment, Like RED LINE Limited Slip Additive, ad this bottle to rear end oils, or 75% of it. but enough that banging stops, it makes LSD to work smooth and properly
    - IQ 1.0 -09
    - Lexus IS250 -06