Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lancer Evo brakes into Early Celica/Corolla/Corona

Breaker of all things aka Backyard Mechanic Chrisso's Avatar

Default Re: Lancer Evo brakes into Early Celica/Corolla/Corona

Just a quick note regarding the Rx7/mini setup. I've been running this for a while with no complaints. It is not the same as the AJPS set up, that runs a smaller rotor, civic I think. The mini rotors I'm using are from a 2001 cooper S, 276x22mm. The adapter bracket originally came from Hen and was later refined. The rotors do require redrilling to bolt to the back of the AE86 hub.

Prior to this I was running the same calipers with a different bracket and rotor that was hat/floating. While the bracket was simpler, it ran the caliper closer to the back of the wheel spokes. I had more problems with front end balance due to the type of wheel I ran and the fact that it didn't centre as well with a hat/floating arrangement.

Good luck with the set up.
    AE86 4 shades of silver - The Lone Ranger's steed is on the road again!
    AE86 shell - waiting for a donor car from the auctions.

Junior Member Automotive Encyclopaedia

I'll be relying on my mechanic and hoping to learn along the way but I'll PM you my email address and see if I can add value.

:( Backyard Mechanic stahlz_ae86's Avatar

Any further progress? My bro and I are developing something else at the moment with RDA 283mm slotted/vented Citroen Xantia disks and FC calipers on RA40 struts, where disk will be bored to 73mm to suit RA40 hub and bolted to it on the rear as per original. Always keen to see how others go with their own inventive projects, I guess one of the advantages of this over ours is there's no brake pistons on the outer side of the caliper from what I can tell. This means you won't need as extreme an X-factor wheel like us, using XXR 522's to solve the issue.

My Wife says I have Too Much Toyota o_man_ra23's Avatar

Got the coilover threaded tube welded to the strut and painted the strut. Hoping to have some more progress on the brakes over the Christmas break. Will add more info when I have it available. One of the main aims of this brake setup was to make sure the consumables didn't need modification, ie rotors and pads should be 100% off the shelf so I never have to customise anything again once the car is going.
    Cheers, Owen
    1977 RA28 with 1JZ-GTE (Was 18R-GTE)
    Lancer EVO Brakes into old Celica/Corolla/Corona
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

hey just wondering if there was any more progress on this brake upgrade keen to find out how it all worked out

Development slowed due to a number of reasons, however I did mock up a brake caliper on a 12mm bracket, which is too thick. Once the car is out at my new place, I will make up a 9mm bracket and measure the clearance from there, which will allow me to finalise the bracket design. Progress is slow, but it isn't abandoned.
    Cheers, Owen
    Doing the things that aren't popular... cause being popular and being good are often distinctly different.

I definitely ain't a Chief Engine Builder wagonist's Avatar

For reference (I'm doing a Verada/VR4/early Evo front brake upgrade on my Excel), the Magna calipers you mentioned early in the thread are not twin piston (certainly none of the Magnas I've seen have them), it's only the Verada with ABS.
    And I like the idea too of having matching calipers & rotors as you know that they're designed to work with each other.

I've got Verada calipers sitting at home but I'm thinking about finding a pair of the EVO ones instead. This is because the Verada/VR4 use an inline brake fitting instead of a Banjo bolt like the Evo, and I've already got braided lines (for banjo bolts) so I don't like the idea of trying to convert. They're cheap if someone else wants them.

Mine were removed from a TR magna which was indeed ABS equipped (per my first post). The Evo callipers also have slightly bigger pistons to go with the banjo fittings, however are vastly more expensive.
    Cheers, Owen

Calliper mount prototype 2 successfully created. Now to draw it up in Solidworks. Made the prototype out of 9mm ply, and it looks like the final material needs to be 10mm thick (just need to do a final measure). Will make some prototypes out of plastic to get the measurements spot on before cutting some steel. Then it'll be a case of adjusting the program to suit the steel. Once the mount is 100%, I'll release details on getting them made.
    Cheers, Owen

It's been some time since an update to the first post, but finally I have got off my arse and got Prototype 3 done. There are now photos with the calliper fitted. It all looks good, and the final product should only be a couple of small adjustments away.
    Cheers, Owen

Forum Member 1st year Apprentice

So good lol I need 2 upgrade the brakes on my ra40! But done under stand half off the stuff ur talking about... Because I only work on cars in spare time so don't know much but sound easy lol.

Junior Member Grease Monkey

rebirth - many a year has passed since your last post.

how did you get along with this mod? i like to know if you've run it on the track and how it went. also do you have a weight difference with the four piston hilux caliper and rotor combination compared to your mitsi setup?

great work on trying something different.

Hey mate,

The car is running, but not to the point of putting on a track (have some rear spring mount issues to sort before that).

I've given the brakes a run in and test on the street, and they are rather impressive. Pedal feel is quite firm, but you can just add more and more pressure and the brakes bite harder and harder. Pedal feel would probably be softer if I didn't have the turbo, or if I ran a 15/16 master cylinder instead of the 1" unit. Wiping speed off from 100kph really is a breeze, it certainly moves you forward when braking, but isn't harsh if you are just milling around (wife friendly).

Haven't got weights, but when I get all the gear for my RA23 I can weigh it before installing if you like.
    Cheers, Owen

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Yeah the weights would be a great comparison for unsprung weight up the front end. i still have a spare corona solid disc and the earlier four piston caliper lux to suit it that i could weigh up for shits and giggles.

I'm running the pug/four piston setup and used the 1in master and i didn't like how stiff it was in my TA22 but the booster is smaller compared to your RA28 and was just too small to power the 1in master. i ended up using a 7/8 master from a four wheel disc front wheel drive mid 90's corolla. Works soooo much better with my master setup and it was a direct bolt on too for the TA22 booster. they changed the booster/master bolt pattern in the RA23's so i'm not sure if that carried over to the 28's like yours.

Mine wants to put me through the front windscreen - lol but then again, i'm only running with 150HP engine. I've never experienced braking like that before as it brakes hard and fast and in a straight line too on the track lap after lap. I can't wait to hear how yours gets along on the track with your setup as i always wondering if the additional weight was a disadvantage with the pug/lux setup.

keep us posted.

RA23 and 28 are pretty well identical from the dash forward. I didn't go with the Pug Lux combo because you can't buy the pug rotors, and you need to mill 5mm off the outside of them if you do need to change them. This setup was made so once the original install is done, any replacement parts are straight off the shelf/ebay with no mods to put in. Plus, being a hat type rotor, you don't have to mess about pulling the hubs off to change a rotor out.

As the 23 will be an IPRA car, the brakes need to fit under a 15" rim, which these do too, so extra win. I may change the master in the 28 to something smaller and put the 1" unit on the 23.
    Cheers, Owen