Thread: The Rattling, Rumbling 22RE Th-red

Junior Member Grease Monkey

Default The Rattling, Rumbling 22RE Th-red

THE 22R/22R-E THREAD!!!

So far I can't find a single thread about this engine on Toymods, so I made this thread

This is mostly off the Toysport site, but I wrote this a while ago to make it shorter (plus I wrote it for school).

History

The 22R motor initially debuted in 1981, being featured in the Hilux, Corona and Celica. These were the most popular Toyota motors in the US and because of this, there is a lot of aftermarket support in the states. The 22R-E appeared as early as 1982, but came into use at 1983 in Celicas and Hiluxes. The reason for the 22RE's success in the states was that the US only ever recieved the 22R-Es for the Celicas. So race homologation was a factor, and companies strived to make the 22R-Es to run on par with BMWs and such in their same series. Many of the companies would have rathered the 18R-G but they were not allowed to. While running the 22R-E, some were able to beat the cars with 240hp Ford engines. The reason for this was the 22REs torquey power band. The turbo versions of the 22R-Es (22R-TE) were around for a short amount of time between 1985 and 1988 on the Hiluxes. People in the states would just get this engine and swap it out with the 22R-E. It is not possible to use this turbo setup with the standard 22R-E with standard internals since the 22R-TE runs a lower compression ratio. The 22R-E just can't handle the boost stably.

Modifying the 22RE
    This is basically all Toysport from here: http://www.toysport.com/technical%20...tech_notes.htm

I will just post the recommended setups here

For stock configuration- the 20R / 22R / 22RE engines are very easy to work on. Due to different emission requirements for the different model years, try to work on the original engine. Porting the head will increase breathing and will not hurt emissions- so basically to stay legal and improve performance- the cylinder head must be ported. The early 22RE pistons can be used to upgrade the 20R to 2400cc.

For modified configuration- the 20R head on top of early 22Rs will instantly give higher compression. All heads must be ported with big valves installed. Be careful of camshaft choice, just remember that all slow modified 20 / 22R / 22RE engines have been over-cammed. Do not try to install cams with duration over 280 on single carb or fuel injection models. Twin side carburetors are the best way to go. For limited budget use the Weber 38 DPS. Headers installed with 2 3/4" exhaust will be optimal. A heavier flywheel will help 4WD models, that should also have the gear ratios changed to compensate for tire sizes.

For racing configuration- basically these engines are truck engines. For off-road truck racing and high performance street use (both pick-ups and Celicas) the Toysport Spec SCORE / HDRA set-up is reliable and impressive. See the parts list for the 20R / 22R engines.

Although we have successfully used the 22RE in circuit racing and rallying, and truck off-road racing- the only reason these engines were used was because of the race regulations. The handicap is the block configuration- which was built for torque and longevity- meaning slow and heavy. The cylinder head modifications, if properly done increases head flow by up to 200%.

For turbo set-up- forged pistons, ported head with open chambers, big valves, TO4 or CT26 turbo, 3" exhaust, mild cam, Carillo Rods, boost controller, blow-off valve and keep the boost under 25 psi!!

/end of Toysport info

Specifications:

Now I'll post the different specs for the 22R-E info gathered from the Haynes manual for an RA65

General

Oil pressure (22R-E)................................................ ........................... 71.1 psi at 3000 rpm
    Compression Pressure
    Standard.......................................... ............................................. 171 psi
    Minimum........................................... ............................................ 142 psi
    Maximum difference between cylinders......................................... ... 14 psi

Capacities:

Engine oil (with filter change)........................................... .....................4.65L
    Cooling system............................................ .......................................8.55L
    Approx

Ignition system:

Spark plug type.............................................. ...................... Champion NY11YC
    Spark plug gap............................................... ...................... 0.032 inches
    Distributor point gap............................................... ............... 0.018 inches
    Dwell angle............................................. ............................. 52-degrees
    Ignition timing............................................ ........................... 8-degrees BTDC
    Firing order............................................. .............................. 1,3,4,2
    Cylinder numbers (front to rear)............................................. . 1,2,3,4

Valve clearance (Hot engine)

Intake............................................ ...................................... 0.008 inches
    Exhaust........................................... .................................... 0.012 inches

Idle speed

Manual............................................ ................................... 800 rpm
    Automatic......................................... .................................. 850 rpm

Drivebelt tension (using a Borroughs tension guage No. BT373F)

New............................................... .................................... 125 +/- 25 lbs
    Used.............................................. ................................... 80 +/- 20 lbs

Torque Specifications
    Ft-lbs
    Main bearing cap bolts............................................. ........... 69 to 83
    Connecting rod cap nuts.............................................. ....... 40 to 47

Cylinder head warpage limit

Block surface........................................... .......................... 0.0059 inches
    Manifold surface........................................... ...................... 0.0079 inches

Valves

Valve stem diameter
    Intake............................................ .............................. 0.3138 to 0.3146 inches
    Exhaust........................................... ............................ 0.3136 to 0.3142 inches
    Valve face angle............................................. .................... 44.5 degrees
    Valve margin width............................................. ................. 0.024 inches
    Valve spring free length
    '84 and earlier........................................... ...................... 1.803 inches
    '85............................................... .................................. 1.909 inches
    Valve spring installed height............................................ ..... 1.594 inches
    Valve spring out-of-square limit............................................. 0.063 inches
    Valve guide inside diameter.......................................... ........ 0.3154 to 0.3161 inches
    Valve stem-to-guide clearance
    Standard
    Intake............................................ ............................ 0.0008 to 0.0024 inches
    Exhaust........................................... .......................... 0.0012 to 0.0028 inches
    Limit
    Intake............................................ ............................ 0.0031 inches
    Exhaust........................................... .......................... 0.0039 inches
    Valve seat
    Angle............................................. ................................ 45 degrees
    Width............................................. ................................ 0.047 to 0.063 inches

Engine block

Deck warpage limit............................................. ................. 0.002 inches
    Cylinder bore diameter.......................................... ............... 3.6220 to 3.6232 inches
    Cylinder bore out-of-round limit............................................. 0.0008 inches
    Cylinder bore taper limit............................................. .......... 0.0004 inches
    Piston-to-bore clearance
    '84 and earlier........................................... ..................... 0.0020 to 0.0028 inches
    '85............................................... ................................. 0.0008 to 0.0016 inches

Pistons and rings

Diameter
    '84 and earlier........................................... .................... 3.6196 to 3.6208 inches
    '85............................................... ................................ 3.6205 to 3.6216 inches
    Piston ring end gap
    Top compression ring.............................................. ...... 0.009 to 0.015 inches
    Second compression ring.............................................. 0.007 to 0.017 inches
    Oil ring.............................................. .......................... 0.008 to 0.032 inches
    Piston ring side clearance (maximum)................................. 0.008 inches

Crankshaft, connecting rods and main bearings

Connecting rod endplay (side clearance)
    Standard.......................................... .............................. 0,0063 to 0.0102 inches
    Limit............................................. ................................. 0.012 inches
    Crankshaft endplay
    Standard.......................................... .............................. 0.0010 to 0.0087 inches
    Limit............................................. ................................. 0.0118 inches
    Crankshaft runout limit............................................. .......... 0.004 inches
    Main bearing journal diameter.......................................... ... 2.3614 to 2.3622 inches
    Connecting rod journal diameter.......................................... 2.0862 to 2.0866 inches
    Journal taper/out-of-round limit............................................ 0.0004 inches
    Main bearing oil clearance......................................... ........ 0.0006 to 0.0020 inches
    Connecting rod bearing oil clearance
    Standard.......................................... ............................ 0.0010 to 0.0022 inches
    Limit............................................. ............................... 0.004 inches

EDIT: It's called "Th-red" cause it doesn't allow me to type thread.
    MA61 Daily - Factory Manual, 5MGE Converted
    GA61+UCF11+Time+Money+Love= UZA61
    2JZGE MA61 Conversion kit
    22R-E Including Rebuild Kit & Cam for sale

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Default Re: The Rattling, Rumbling 22RE Th-red

Hi,

Nice info.

The USA used them a lot and modded them, but I'm sure that's they didn't have the ubiquitous and superb 18R-G to play with.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Lord of InterpretiveDance Chief Engine Builder tomvale13's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LezSpaz View Post

For turbo set-up- forged pistons, ported head with open chambers, big valves, TO4 or CT26 turbo, 3" exhaust, mild cam, Carillo Rods, boost controller, blow-off valve and keep the boost under 25 psi!!
    Have you done this? If so, do you recall the power it made?

edit: thanks, btw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuzzo View Post
    They cash in the empty can of whoopass they received in SA and receive 10c's per punch...
    They have to accrew enough for nose reconstructions as well as feeding his mime family. The dont talk much so they never need much water for their dry mouths.

Incompetent Automotive Encyclopaedia

They're a great motor and oft-maligned for no good reason. New camchain and keep fresh oil & coolant in them and they'll last for 400,000km.

I probably wouldn't pay too much attention to that turbo recipe though, sounds more like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, spruiking a few buzzwords/items/names they've heard
    Must.... avoid.... urge... to... upgrade... parts I haven't.... used.... yet.....

Toymods Net Nazi Too Much Toyota river's Avatar

Hi,

They're a good motor for lasting the distance and hauling around cars that require plenty of torque (for a 4 cyl engine). However, that's about it.

seeyuzz
    river
    The thinking man's clown and the drinking woman's sex symbol
    RA25GT - There is no substitute | 18R-G - Toyota's Dependable Masterpiece
    Toymods Car Club Treasurer, assistant Historic Plate Registrar & Forums Admin

Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    I probably wouldn't pay too much attention to that turbo recipe though, sounds more like someone who doesn't know what they're talking about, spruiking a few buzzwords/items/names they've heard
    Straight of Toysport My experience with the 22RE is that I'm currently rebuilding one and I'm going to be playing around with megasquirt. I'm definitely keeping it NA. I'm also playing with the idea of making ITBs at uni for it, just cause

iconoclast Backyard Mechanic Youngy's Avatar

Yeah, I've been in long contact with this guy, and he's a fellow engineering student like myself I'm going with the same/similar TBs if it's too annoying to get one here, but I wanted the intake from 4 locations, not from a collected plenum, hence the megasquirt emphasis Also I want to mock up like a double manifold. In between I can change the length of the runners as I please (just for tuning's sake). Anyways, everyone feel free to share your experiences with this beast!

I'll share mine...
    In the summer of '09 as I was finishing year 12 I bought myself one of the cheapest running cars I could find. This turned out to be an '85 RA65. I fell in love with it, with it's faded panels and fun ride I bought it for something like $250 and a virus scan. I was pretty happy with that. Only 2 previous owners. A hair dresser sold the car to them in '86 and now it's mine. It was then I found out the car hadn't been serviced since '86 (when they first got it), and it was still rumbling along! Changed the oils and fluids, new shoes yada yada... The oil came out like goo. I drove it for another 6 months until the day before the rego ran out, it busted a welsh plug. I was like fuckin A! What a mad engine! Surprisingly so far (without the block internals taken out) barely any corrosion in the cooling, just the welsh plug had rusted. Shit load of rust in the coolant but most of that was from the radiator. I'll try to find a pic of it. Had about 1/2 the fins completely gone. So I'm rebuilding it, and just playing with it. If it dies, it dies and I'll either find another 22RE or I'll just get an SA63 donor and go 3SGE. Just cause I have nothing better to do with my life.

Quote Originally Posted by tomvale13 View Post
    Have you done this? If so, do you recall the power it made?

edit: thanks, btw.
    No worries. And with that setup I've seen a few on yodatech which are in Hiluxes for hillclimbs. Best check there for the turbo setup. No one does it here cause it's a hell of a lot easier to just go for another motor.

HEAPS of info on yodatech for 22REs

EDIT: And no I haven't done it

Quote Originally Posted by river View Post
    Hi,

They're a good motor for lasting the distance and hauling around cars that require plenty of torque (for a 4 cyl engine). However, that's about it.

seeyuzz
    river
    Yeah from what I hear, for races, mainly just hillclimbs. Although I did see a drag race on 7mate like last year with a chopped up hilux carrying the equivalent of a 4 ton anvil It was against a patrol or something. Pretty funny stuff!

Add Lightness! Grease Monkey spectral's Avatar

I've been maintaining the 22R in my Hilux from 15000km (when my father bought it from gov auctions in 1997), to current day in my possession with 238000km on it.

Its a solid motor, but just so damn boring to drive. Not much character compared to a 3RZ or even the 2600cc EFI in the same age Rodeo.

Now the clutch is almost gone, the timing chain is making noise and PS pump is dying. Time for a conversion I think
    Westfield Clubman SEi - 4AGE Blacktop, T50
    RN90R Hilux XtraCab - VT V6 (yeah yeah) ,4L60-E, 3.583 LSD

Nothing but a filthy Conversion King CELICASUPRA7M's Avatar

There not powerfull, but there solid motors, i've serviced a couple that were well north of 400,000k un-rebuilt too
    1983 Toyota Celica Supra

Junior Member Carport Converter ecko's Avatar

lloyd smith has built a supercharged high comp motor here

high compression rebuild
    298 degrree cam
    microtech 11x
    sc14 supercharger,
    made 130kw from memory at 10 psi and around 370nm torque (could be wrong)

car blew a head gasket within 3 weeks